NVIDIA GeForce Game Ready 398.36 Drivers Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by peppercute, Jun 26, 2018.

1. xankazo

xankazo Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 SC (6GB)
    Drivers working good. Probably unrelated but I had to adjust ClearType on Windows 10 since I also got a new monitor (Asus VG245H) just in time with this new drivers. The fonts weren't looking so good.

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
  3. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    latest driver gave me higher temps, i felt excess heat from my case, so i rolled back, now im on 397.93

4. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    User issue. No proof & your graphic card brand is summertime madness.

LocoDiceGR likes this.

5. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    Anyone is having major problems with Far Cry 5 crashing at random points? Notebly at end of loading screens? not just this driver, even hotfix following this one and last 2 to 3 drivers.

6. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    The graphics card also informs the TV what format its sending, so a good TV would not care and just adapt and show the proper image regardless. My Sony is that way, at least.

7. mojoba

mojoba Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2070 8gb
    Sorry couldn't see where Nvidia promise performance isn't effected in anyway. Although I'm sure that's the case if you are running a fairly new system with lots of performance to spare. But with my i7 4790k and 980ti I've seen stuttering on numerous games with all the 39* series drivers I've tried. I appreciate this is a meaningless argument unless I spend hours installing and reinstalling drivers and taking screen shots of benchmarks. And it may have nothing to do with the security fix and more to do with Nvidia doing an Apple and creating updates that are detrimental to the performance of older hardware in the hope that they can shift those hundreds of thousands of overpriced 10 series cards that are unsold.

8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    What you are saying is a conspiracy theory.

NV or AMD etc do not deliberately modify code path to purposely cause a detrimental effect in performance on older generation cards to force you to buy new.

I observed no difference on my 1080Ti/ 980Ti or a 780Ti system(setup for a friend recently) as I did a few benchmarks in testing that driver patch.
    Literally no difference; I can safely tell you that it's all in your head.

You can put the blame on windows 10 and/or game issues.
    You may try disabling spectre patch in windows 10 if you'd like

AQUILES likes this.
  9. mojoba

mojoba Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2070 8gb
    How can you have a 1080ti/980ti set up unless your using a power hungry 980ti as a dedicated physx card for not being released anymore physx games? Or did you take out your 1080ti and put back in your 980ti just to see how well it would have run, if you were still using your 980ti!

I tried hiding the Spectre update from Windows but it breaks Windows 10 and led to a boot loop. So not recommended if you want to keep Windows up to date. I always try each new driver, benchmark and test, find out the results are not as good as 388.59 then DDU back to my golden driver. As it's so smooth for me. So I don't think it's purely Windows update related but as you can see in my earlier posts the Spectre Windows fix doesn't to say the least help with 4th Gen Intel. I shouldn't bother updating drivers given that it's a waste of time but curiosity gets to me.

I'm not talking about maximum fps but dropped frames. I'll prove this when I get a chance with screen shots of the benchmark results page for Assassin's Creed Origins which not only shows the minimum fps but also has a graph showing how frequently frames are dropped. I get 60fps at 1440p on High settings so I'm generally happy with performance.

They probably don't do it deliberately but by releasing new code that is not optimized for what was the flagship card a few years ago, amounts to the same thing. Commentators on here are often saying the latest driver is always the best driver, but in my opinion that's all in their heads to (unless you are running current gen).

And it's not like conspiracies never happen.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  10. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    You can easily disable meltdown and Spectre with InSpectre utility, I have all patched up OS but all disabled.

PS: I haven't noticed it affect games, only I/O performance.

11. mojoba

mojoba Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2070 8gb
    OK well I can always do an Acronis full back up of drive C then give InSpectre a try and if it goes tits up, it will be easy to restore.
    Asus has released a beta bios now with the Spectre fix on my z97 board which I think helps. Thanks :)

12. fernake

fernake Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus strix GTX 1080 OC
    You have to be blind to not realize that every driver that Nvidia throws the performance degrades a bit in the games, I have a very good eye for that kind of thing.

13. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    I'm sure you this didn't cross your mind but some people have multiple computers.

I have a separate system with a 980Ti.

Maxwell is very closely related to pascal so optimizations affect both.

As for spectre, there is a utility that disables it via registry.

Lastly, not optimizing for old cards is not the same as purposely nerfing performance.

That's all in your head.

You'll have to plot some graphs of various games if you want anyone to believe that.

14. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
  15. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    You have to be blind to claim something like this after years of actual data showing the opposite. So you should probably check that good eye of yours.

Dj_ALeX likes this.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

Myth Busted

17. Dj_ALeX

Dj_ALeX Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Gaming X
    This video is "outdated" but it tells the truth until today based on my benchmarks and solid resources from other legit users i know.

18. cricket bones

cricket bones Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW
    What does this sentence even mean?

CrazyBaldhead likes this.
  19. SpookySkeleton

SpookySkeleton Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    it means that the video is "outdated" but tells the truth

20. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Linus should have tested a couple more newer games. It's extreme to say Nvidia is actively working to decrease performance with new drivers, but there could be a point in the argument that Nvidia doesn't optimize Kepler drivers for new games anymore.

There's even a point that Nvidia should offer an option akin to AMD's optimized tessellation, since AMD users at least can use that driver hack to vastly increase performance and still get better graphics, but Nvidia users can't.

IIRC, the claims of Nvidia hampering older cards took of when Kepler had performance issues in TW3, and Nvidia managed to release a performance driver after just a few days of backlash. It really was as if neither Nvidia nor CD Projekt even had tested the game on any Kepler GPU. And back then the 700 series was still their second most recent series on the market.

This is an older test, but it still shows that all cards generally had a minor performance advantage on the latest drivers. DOOM, 2016 game, in particular had a 23% performance improvement for Kepler in the latest driver.
    https://www.computerbase.de/2017-01/geforce-treiber-test/2/#diagramm-doom

Anyway, Nvidia did update Kepler to support Shader Model 6.1. They wouldn't have done that if they were actively working on hampering older cards.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018