Review: ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 router (+AIMesh)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We review the ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 Dual and Triple Band Wi-Fi Router from ASUS, AIMesh ready quad-core processor monster of a router was introduced last year. It offers proper WIFI ranges and perform...

Review: ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 router (+AIMesh)

holystarlight and fantaskarsef like this.
  2. yeeeman

yeeeman Member

GPU:
    9600GT 512mb
    I expected more tbh

3. RonanH

RonanH Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    €400 for a wireless router? Go get yourself a couple of UniFi access points and an edge router or USG... If you're going to pay pro prices, get pro gear not this abomination of a device.

4. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090

HH, out of curiosity what do you think is better, getting one of these big strong routers or getting Mesh wifi or powerline adapaters to cover dead house areas

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    There's no clear-cut answer to it. That depends very much on your house and neighborhood WIFI spots really. With a normal sized house and router, you're not going to need mesh/repeaters. A mesh or repeater or extra access point is handy for sure in places where you run out of signal. I cannot really justify this much money on a router, however, it did fill every spot in my house with WIFI and there are roughly 30 to 40 WIFI SSID points in my house that I can scan (neighbors etc) as I live in the city.

I am not a fan of powerline adapters, they consume quite a bit of energy, are prone to disturbances and are very dependant on your electric wiring. If you have to run them over a different group, perf drops so fast. However, they are very handy to use in places where you need a bit of internet.

Honestly, the best way is to run an ethernet wire to say your attic and create an access point. If you can't my second suggestion would be a mesh or repeater setup.

Ricepudding likes this.
  6. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    Same here, at this price pont range its way better to get dedicated enterprise level components from Ubiquity.
    Unifi AP + Edge router + HP passive mangeable switch.

@Hilbert Hagedoorn
    fully agree wit you there, powerline adapters are
    - unreliable,
    - expensive (at least for gigabit speeds)
    - do not work over different phases (in my case 3-phase home electricity distibution, each room different phase)
    - do not work well or at all over UPS, power line conditioner, surge protection or filter.
    - vulnerable to security attacks from any point on same power line.

They should be as last resort when nothing else works.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    At this price, I think it should flip and walk around to ensure everyone has good signal. It looks like bug anyway.

8. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    any repeaters/mesh that you could recommend, it's quite a big house i'm moving too with quite a few dead points even just the floor above the router. Sadly cause its private property i cannot run any wires through it so looking for alternatives...or even a router like the nighthawk?

9. blurp33

blurp33 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  10. ubercake

ubercake Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC Blk
    I currently have an N900 router (WNDR4500 v3) that is on the 2nd story of my house with effective wireless reception all the way to the basement, garage, back deck, front porch, anywhere I expect it to reach. It covers a large area even without a load of antennae hanging off of it in every direction. The router covers everything inside; some outside.

I don't like anything that calls itself a mesh network system for home (unless you live in a mansion or castle it doesn't make sense). They want you to buy multiple units so they nerf the range of each and tell you you need another unit for each floor to have effective coverage.

Also, unless people are consistently doing large file transfers on their home networks requiring Gbps speeds, most people are over-buying network functionality from both the electronics shop and their ISPs. Consider a 1080p stream only requires 6Mbps while a 4K is around 4x that (24Mbps). Gaming and music require far less for each connection.

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I think it's closer than you think - the GT-AC5300 goes for $380 on Amazon currently, in order to get similar WiFi/Port specs with Ubiquiti you'd need a UAP-HD ($287) & ER-8 ($302.61) or USG ($108 + $25 8 Port TP Link switch or something)

The AC5300 has a more user friendly interface/setup procedure for a non-techie and is one unit vs the 3 if you go with the USG. The ubiquiti system is probably more reliable and slightly better performing but overall I think the price point on the ASUS is fair for the general consumer, given the specs. For someone more advanced I'd probably recommend the Ubiquiti. I personally use a pair of nanostations for a long range run from my main house + 2 UAP's for various Wifi around the property although I've been thinking about getting some Unifi Mesh AP's for outside - I've been really happy with their devices and deploy them in commercial environments all the time - but overall the ASUS GT isn't a bad device.

12. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    over-priced and ugly as sin. no doubt it's effective, but having one of these means searching for a hiding place, more of them? no way.
    in any case, that "back-to-the-future-Aztec" look is really inappropriate for a router, even for a ROG enthusiast.
    it certainly has kept me from buying many fine pieces of Asus kit.

13. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Frickin headcrab.

14. IIllIlllII

IIllIlllII Guest

GPU:
    Quadro 4000 2GB
    Longtime reader, first-time poster. Forgive me if I’ve missed it somewhere else in these articles...When can we expect 10GbE on these WiFi routers? I don’t understand the ridiculous WiFi speeds, and then the skimpy hardline speeds. I just built a 5000 sq ft house and wired it with 12 Cat7a copper lines to all the major areas to future proof it to the best of my ability. MoBo’s are finally starting to get at least 10GbE on-board, but very little advancements in this area with routers. Best deal I can find for my needs so far is Netgear’s XS512EM for around $900.

15. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    It will be a long time before you see 10 GigE embedded into routers as it easily adds a 100 bucks price premium. However, the first ones with support for 2.5 or 5 GigE will be released this year (starting with AX WIFI routers).

It doesn't prevent you from creating a 10 GigE LAN though. I do have some reviews upcoming with a router, repeater and 10 GigE switch from Netgear where I'll perform some testing. Also, the first consumer 10 GigE NAS from ASUSTOR arrived and will be reviewed soon. To get them juices flowing: ...

o_O

copy-from-nas-10gbps.png

16. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    If you own one of these... Do NOT invite Freeman over!

P.S: Hilbert Hagedoorn page 10, second chart image. write/read in the chart image got mixed. :)

Hilbert Hagedoorn likes this.
  17. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    Why would you need UAP-HD plus ER8 ? That combination easily wipe floor with enterprise $5k+ CISCO router with $1.5k CISCO AP.

UniFi® nanoHD with EdgeRouter™ Lite and decent switch like HP 1820 8G cost less, around $360 (179+99+79) and offer more.

18. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I'll bet someone ends up attacking it with a crowbar. :D

19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Key part is "similar WiFi/Port specs" - honestly the nanoHD would be plenty of bandwidth for most people but the GT outperforms it by quite a bit when all the bands are aggregated. Either way my point isn't x or y is better but that the ASUS isn't a bad deal for the price.

The ER8 was an option - you left out the "or + cheaper stuff" - but again now you have 3 different devices instead of one. Which for some consumers who just want a singular unit in their home, taking up minimal space and not having various cables + PoE stuff everywhere, the ASUS isn't bad for the price. That being said the ASUS looks hideous so there's that.

20. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    @hh screenshot above... 594mb/sec. 10.2 GB estimated download time: 20 seconds.

That's just obscene! I don't even have a an SSD that could write that fast. (or read?)