Sapphire announces FS-FP5V embedded Ryzen system

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Sapphire launched a small motherboard that has been fitted with a built-in Ryzen-SoC. The 5 by 5 inch PCB reveals a motherboard with Ryzen V1000-series-soc, which is available in a two or four core...

Sapphire announces FS-FP5V embedded Ryzen system

2. SuperAverage

SuperAverage Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte xtreme 1080
    Do want.

3. Vananovion

Vananovion Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 16GB
    This is the segment where AMDs APUs can really shine.

Are these actually available for consumers?

4. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    What's the point of having three USB 2.0 ports and no 3.0 ports? If there's anything wrong about this tiny thing, it's that. Or are they perhaps thinking that someone will buy this 2018 device and connect it to a really picky usb gizmo straight from the year 2000? One 2.0 and two 3.0 would seem like wisdom.

Edit: Actually, if Vananovion is correct and these aren't available to consumers at all, it doesn't really matter. Not like it would make a difference inside some POS terminal (it being a POS and all).

5. igorfiuza

igorfiuza Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 480 8G WC
    The real question is: Can it run Crysis?

6. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    So tired of these silly Crysis statements.

My understanding is the game was a horribly optimized mess. Please correct me if I am wrong.

7. Toadstool

Toadstool Member Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Crysis was definitely horribly optimized, but it also looks incredible (especially with mods) even a decade later. On modern hardware it still doesn't run great but I can actually run it now on the highest settings with playable framerates, which I couldn't have dreamed of back in 2007.

8. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    Only important thing is with is compatible with Akasa Mini-ITX cases.. Back panel, i dont understand 4x video output, but only 2 USB 2.0?

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Seems very awkward. With the RAM mounting method and a few of the pin headers, this may require a relatively tall chassis. There's also the 4-pin EPS connector, but no other "traditional" power connector. Where are you supposed to get a PSU that only has this? Or is it optional (I noticed it is sitting next to a power jack for an external PSU)?
    I also find the common usage of USB 2.0 a little strange. Surely having a second XHCI controller wouldn't have been that hard to fit.

Anyway, it's still a cool product. The last time we saw an AMD board of this size was the Gizmo 2, and this is much better than that.

Well, if you have x86 needs then sure. Otherwise, ARM has a very firm grip on this particular market.

10. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Judging from the configuration I guess its designed for very specific purposes, like running a 2x2 video wall. A lot of display outputs, and noone would ever care about anything else on it.
    These sort of devices are not meant to replace consumer PCs.

11. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    Is shame Sapphire stopped making motherboards. The last models were not that good, but early 2000s had some pretty good boards.

12. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Pulse 6800
    This is pretty normal for this kind of machines(they usually also have 2 pins next to the 4-pin EPS connector for 12v/Ground)
    What i find weird is that it doesn't have DB9 conectors, or more RJ45 if they want to sale this thing for POS.