AMD Radeon Adrenalin Edition 18.6.1 Driver download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 13, 2018.

1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Jackalito likes this.
  2. fargod

fargod Guest

GPU:
    16gb
    UVD bug

We have been unable to reproduce this issue so far, the clocks reset to the default values as expected.

Below are the steps we took and the specs of the systems we tested:

Reproduction steps:

1. Download & install Media Player Classic > https://mpc-hc.org/
    2. Monitor clock speeds and open Google Chrome and open YouTube and start playing a video. Open Facebook and scroll down the page. Open Windows Media Player Classic and begin playing a video file.
    3. At some point the clock speeds should increase from idle clock speeds and get stuck in a higher clock state.
    4. Close all applications, clocks should now be stuck in a higher clock state than idle.
    5. If you now launch a game, the GPU will not reach maximum 3D clocks but will instead use the highest UVD clock state instead.

Specs:

Ryzen 7 1700X

HD 7870/R7 370

Win 10 RS4 +

Adrenalin-18.6.1

We're going to need alternative instructions on how to reproduce this issue.

Rambo and LocoDiceGR like this.
  3. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    @fargod ''Start several Media Player Classic windows at the same time, also you will reproduce uvd bug. How so left that we people the bought AMD cards have to beg you to correct your errors?''

How do you expect a fix, in anything not only UVD bug, if they cant even reproduce it?
    Every system is different.

4. fargod

fargod Guest

GPU:
    16gb
    Windows Game Mod always starts UVD bug

5. Krteq

Krteq Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 WC
    How are you monitoring clock speeds?

6. fargod

fargod Guest

GPU:
    16gb
  7. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    AMD not ready for The Crew 2?

8. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Crew 2 - 29th is the release...on friday!

9. Portman87

Portman87 Member Guru

GPU:
    NITRO RX 480 8GB
    Resident Evil 7 intro video starts the UVD bug for me.

10. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2070S|6700XT
    After exiting the game without anything running, the card stays stuck at 500/1250 instead of 300/150? (Sorry, I don't know whats the exact lowest uvd clock for a 280) There are two situations required to distinguish:

1) the "uvd bug" most mentioned is when the card is completely stuck at (alternating both) UVD clocks and doesn't leave them even with zero load or apps running, and can only exit that state by restarting the driver.

2) Another semi-related, but unfortunate expected behavior on CGN 1.0 cards that you might be facing, happens when there's a process (most times video) that calls the UVD clocks and it isn't completely finished by the moment another 3D process is started. This will cause the later 3D process to run at the highest UVD clock (and also ignore any OC applied to 3D clocks, because it's not using that state), even if the first video process has been terminated a bit later after the 3D one started. To achieve full 3D clocks, a 3D process must find the card resting at 300/150, not at UVD clocks. Sometimes it happens to games with video intros, and it has even happened to 3DMark a bit under 3 years ago causing these cards to run at wrong clocks (I had a 7970 by then). For some reason, iirc at the time it could be circumvented by using "unofficial OC mode" in MSI AB or Trixx (which used it by default), but afaik that interface was removed on current drivers. In the end, it won't be the "1)" scenario if after exiting the game, clocks correctly revert to 300/150.

Noisiv likes this.

11. garyb

garyb Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070
    Are they ever going to fix the buggy OSD overlay one minute it works the next it doesn't getting annoying now.

warlord likes this.
  12. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    No man. That's a feature not a bug.
    It can be used as the random number generator :D

13. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    AMD's drivers are trash, for my own system Radeon Settings is very slow and always not responding for a sec or two if I switch tabs. Pathetic. And AMD is not authorized to tell me I have hundreds of games in my PC and it is bloating their own software. They are idiots.

If it does not become fast and responsive as before, I am gonna give my money to NVidia soon. I cannot live with the anxiety of not needing their radeon settings because I lose time waiting it to respond. I miss the old CCC. Nvidia are pros. They needn't change anything.

RzrTrek likes this.
  14. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    kek. Go nvidia$$$$$$, nvidia have the most epic drivers of all time /S

(/s means sarcasm for people that dont know)

rafaelluik likes this.
  15. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    AMD are like amateurs who only care about imaginary things not realistic targets. I never said NVidia is perfect, but I shouldn't be punished for having tons of games, as a result a non-instant responsive radeon settings panel. It is not my fault to be a real true pure gamer here with a huge collection. AMD should never drop CCC but provide and update it as an alternative. Period. I am way too old and used both companies to continue coping with their mistakes. AMD is at absolute fault here. They should remove searching games automatically for their idiotic per games profiles. Nuff said.

16. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    I have tons of Games also.
    -> C:\Users\*UserName*\AppData\Local\AMD\CN
    file: gmdb.blb

Open in Notepad++ -> Edit tons of games in minutes.

Yes, i know that CN is Slower when lot of games profiles are stored (when you have <15 Games it is blazin' fast tho)

Also you can make it a little faster with my new Tweak:
    ==

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AMD\CN]
    "UA_Enabled"=dword:00000001
    "Benchmark"="false"
    "PreloadDelay"=dword:000000c8
    "UnloadDelay"=dword:000000c8

==

Try lowering ms a little more (i have like this and it's OK for me)

Greets :D

warlord likes this.
  17. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Notes taken. It is a 'lil faster now. I have counted exactly 150 games in there. It is 10 times more than 15 :D. Perhaps I should finish more games and uninstall them until there is a solution from AMD to not slow down settings panel when I'm going to change graphics options.

OnnA likes this.
  18. fargod

fargod Guest

GPU:
    16gb
    UVD bug
    "We were able to reproduce the issue after opening Windows Game Bar. Once it is fixed it will be called out in the release notes of a future driver release."

Jackalito, OnnA, rafaelluik and 2 others like this.
  19. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Problem solved.

On topic, all games to date play properly.

Off topic.,

Is there any reason why both Amd and Nvidia push maximum 3d clocks if you overclock monitor hz?

I do not find a reason to seek more hz anymore so much heat and electricity for nothing special.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  20. THEAST

THEAST Guest

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    Even though I haven't experienced the UVD bug anymore in a very long time (Skype stopped triggering it somewhere along the lines), I am amazed that they finally acknowledged this issue. Now I hope they don't just prevent it being triggered by Game Bar without fixing the root cause.

rafaelluik likes this.