Vietnamese store put up preorder for ASUS ROG STRIX 1180s

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 2, 2018.

1. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    If a difference between 1080Ti and 1180 will be 10-15%, and will have a sensible price, I also will most likely sell my 1080Ti and go for newer one. However, if difference will be ~5%, then its literally pointless.

2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    If I were you, I wouldn't getting the 1180 at all; wait for the 1180Ti - that will definitely have a more sizable performance difference (and who knows, maybe it won't just be a higher-clocked Pascal refresh).

Maddness likes this.
  3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    The price will be 2500€, you heard it first!

See how legit that sounds? XD

fantaskarsef, Maddness and Silva like this.
  4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    AMD has 0% high end market share because AMD did not release High end Card since Fury X. Steam for example states that 3.42% of users have High end card.
    Most common VRAM available are: 1GB ~25%; 2GB ~23%; 4GB ~17%. That's 720p to 1080p gamers range.
    Upper Mainsteam has 3.98%.
    Rest is mainly covered by mainstream, then mobile and intel's iGPU.

Since when I as customer should care about market? I look at product, its pricing, advantages and disadvantages. And if there is 70% or more ppl not making decisions based on their knowledge, but following some generic pattern someone sets for them... I do not feel like being one of them.

5. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    A 10 or 15% difference is too small to justify buying a new card, at least for me. Better to wait for a new GPU gen or wait for a new Ti like schmidtag wrote.

Personally i´ll keep my 1080ti until there´s a card that offers a 50% performance increase. Or i feel a strange urge to change to the red side...

Robbo9999 likes this.
  6. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    The point is that Nvidia doesnt care about this, they care about market share and as long as they control it, and there's no threat in the horizon, they won't push as much as they can..

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Do you really believe it as much as intel did? Vega is last shot from GCN. Navi is supposed to be as new as Zen was. We do not even know name of architecture, just some dumb rumor with something hard to pronounce and even harder to remember.

8. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    My wallet dislikes the TiTi price.

Waiting for Ti Ebay deals from TiTi buyers...

Silva likes this.
  9. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    Not sure I get your point, and don't count AMD out so quickly

10. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    50% is a wishful thinking. Pascal has largest amount of cards on hand, any new generation will devalue your current card by A LOT. I rather get rid of mine when prices are still decent, as it will cover 60% of new cards value.

11. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    So if this is fake TiTies, then I guess it's a silicone GPU? :p

Maddness, Solfaur and Jayp like this.
  12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    You stated that nVidia does not see threat on horizon, but Navi is for sure threat. Because it is big unknown.
    I am sure, you do remember few completely new architectures from both AMD and nVidia. They really change game. Time when GPUs transitioned from separate PS and VS with fixed pipeline into unified shaders and dynamic pipelines brought huge evolution.
    With Vega, AMD finally managed to get full DX 12_1 feature set. That's long way from GCN 1.0 and many of those things came with some downsides as GCN was not built with this in mind.

With new architecture, there is huge opportunity to do it right way and optimize. AMD was and is working hard on Navi. Since work on Vega started, AMD already dedicated 2/3rds of GPU force to Navi. And nVidia know it too. That's why I think nVidia is fully aware of threat on horizon. It's just usual Huang who likes to make big statements saying that they do not need to release new GPU.

Steam survey proves him wrong. GTX 1080Ti has almost no increase in share since last month. That's because almost everyone who considered it as good performance/price upgrade got it. To boost sales they either have to decrease price or release new GPUs which perform better at same price. That's only way they can improve performance/price and therefore get new sales.

Why? Because it is business. They hold very large gaming GPU share for too long. And that share is practically same over time. Therefore they are competing with themselves. If they want to boost declining sales, they do not have to deliver better product than AMD. (Because they already did.) They have to deliver better (more attractive) product than they did before.

I am sure, you realize it too as you have seen articles about declining GPU sales. When this happens, prices have to go down or better product has to replace old ones at same price.

Maddness and schmidtbag like this.
  13. Jayp

Jayp Member Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    Why would you sell 1080 Ti for 10-15% gains on an 1180? You bored or something? If anything wait for the next Ti. I've been staying on the Ti cycle and it has been excellent. 980 Ti was a beast for awhile and is still decent today. Moving from that to the 1080 Ti was worth while. I held off on the 1080 because it just wasn't that much better. 1080 Ti has been amazing and there is nothing competing with it as you know.

Maddness likes this.
  14. Jayp

Jayp Member Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    I wouldn't hold my breath on navi. So many people held their breath for Vega and boy was that amazing...... lol. I want AMD to be competitive on the high end don't get me wrong. I would definitely like to avoid that G-sync tax in the future. Personally, if AMD could be close to Ti cards again I would switch I think.

15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Considering Vega was a low priority project to AMD (Zen and custom GPUs for products like the PS5 took precedence), Vega performed pretty well in non-gaming tasks. I get the impression the PS5 chip design must be complete by now, so Navi should have all the attention. Meanwhile thanks to the miners, AMD should've had the money to improve R&D. I don't expect Navi to outperform the 1180Ti, but, I do expect it will be very competitive.

16. Jayp

Jayp Member Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    I moved from 980 Ti to 1080 Ti and got about 2 years out of my 980 Ti and recovered 40% of the 1080 Ti cost selling my 980 Ti. Along with it I got up to about 40% or so performance improvement at QHD. I moved from 670 SLI to 980 Ti and there I saw something around 10-15% and more of course in non-SLI games. Had I not moved from 2 to 1 cards I would not have saw the value in that switch. I guess if you gotta be the one with the best at the time all the time then sure I'm not hating!

17. Jayp

Jayp Member Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    Don't get me wrong I don't think Navi will suck I am just not going to ride the hype train. I think it's great that Vega does well in non-gaming tasks but it is a gaming GPU after all and it does suck more power while falling short of competition. It hasn't proven to be "fine wine" yet either as it merely trades blows with a 1070 Ti. The differences between Vega models is mind numbing as well. With it's computational power I expected it to improve by now. Oh well, I have high hopes of a full AMD system in the future just have to wait with an open mind I guess.

18. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    For all that think that it's going to be the same Pascal chip, just take a look at GeForce history:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce

Nvidia never did a straight-rebrand of a high-end chip. (Yes, they do a lot of rebranding on mid-range and low-end, quite to the extreme for the lowest end x10), but not on the high-end.
    Even the 480-> 580 (which uses the same Fermi architecture) is still a significant tweak which made 580 perform much better than 480.

Especially now, considering the big time gap between Pascal release and new (2 full years already), a crappy 10% increase in performance by tweaking power consumption on the same chip would not impress anyone in the market for high-end.
    Why buy a 10% faster 1080 when you can get an existing 1080 Ti instead which is 30-40% faster?? Makes no sense.

Whatever this new thing is... it MUST have more shaders than the last one, as clocks can probably not be pushed visibly higher than the 2Ghz that Pascal already does.
    DDR6 might help in 4K rendering, but not with the same 2.5K shaders as GP104

~~
    My guesstimate is that they will find a way to squeeze 3K-3.2K more optimized shaders (slightly less than 1080 Ti, which has 3.6K), and clock them closer to 2Ghz, equaling or even beating 1080 Ti in performance, while consuming less.
    That is a card that I can see a lot of people buying, even at today's high prices.

19. OrdinaryOregano

OrdinaryOregano Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    It's the Vietnamese price, isn't it? If it is, some countries have rather high taxes for such things, I paid $900+ for my GTX 1080( non-Ti) for example.

20. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Photoshopped box.