Vietnamese store put up preorder for ASUS ROG STRIX 1180s

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    fantaskarsef and cryohellinc like this.
  2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Personally, I will be disappointed if after all this time it will be a simple Refresh with GDDR6 and process shrink. Especially with a price tag such as this, what sane person will go for this instead of 1080Ti? Exactly, nobody.

As Hilber said, a most likely a clickbait.

signex, fantaskarsef and typhon6657 like this.
  3. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I don't think they would release the Ti model first anyway.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I can do better with mspaint.

fantaskarsef likes this.

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    This. Titan, then 1180, then sometime half a year later 1180Ti.

signex likes this.
  6. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    Regardless of this pointless news piece, we will see a 12nm + GDDR6 product, 7nm is not feasible for Nvidia this year at a big scale like geforce products...
    I don't see this as an issue, AMD is a non-factor at the moment, Nvidia doesn't need to jump the gun here and release a product that would hurt their existing products in the market...

7. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    It was the site admin setting up the pages for the actual product. When they get the green light and actual product INFO to sell, the site will be ready to go with a few inserts, instead of making up the whole thing and losing sales time. Cuz we know they are gonna go FAST.

8. EL1TE

EL1TE Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080 SH X 2.1GHz
    While this makes sense, they can do what AMD is doing with the 2800X, holding a more powerful product for later.

There's the Ti so far, they can always make a better one that's not a Titan.

Either way 1500$ would still be way too much even for a 1180 Ti, something like 1000 for the Ti and 750 for the 1180, 500 for the 1170 would make more sense.

Altho with nothing from AMD until next year they will certainly won't make prices low, just compare the price of the 970 vs the 1070 when both released.

9. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    No surprise for me. There´s little reason for Nvidia to release a completly new GPU when their current line up is still faster than AMD can offer... So they just need a little refresh and job done...

No competition, no fun... For consumers, of course.

10. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    I wrote 1080Ti, not 1180Ti. ;)

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    AMD is relevant because they have additional technologies around. FS screens still cost at least $100 less for same model.
    Then you connect your gaming console and what, you can use same FS screen.

Get nVidia GPU, pay extra for G-Sync, and then buy another FS screen for console. So, while AMD's GPUs are still overpriced (thanks shops), their ecosystem is pretty competitive in price.

But I think nVidia going 7nm is not jumping the gun as factories should be already doing fine. I think it would be cementing GPU technological lead. (That's till Navi comes.)
    And I am pretty sure, nVidia can make awesome Tegra chips on 7nm too.

12. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    No freekin' way this is the same Pascal with the same number of shaders, two years later.

NVidia would shoot itself in the foot if they released something like this. GDDR6 doesn't add much or any benefit over GDDR5x which current High-end Pascal uses, it's just a bit lower power and probably lower RAM chip costs as well.

13. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    That's not how the market works. Just look at any hardware gaming survey out there. AMD is a joke in terms of market share. it is especially apparent in the high end market.
    Nvidia is now after the AI/DataCenter markets. that's where their efforts and money goes. gaming is neglected.

14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    ...but it would be awesomesauce if they did ;)

15. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    So basically it's a 1080 TiTi, as said in another thread, one can never have enough titties. :p

Netherwind, Robbo9999 and Silva like this.

16. Dj_ALeX

Dj_ALeX Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Gaming X
    Total fake..

Silva likes this.
  17. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I just wondered, how many of the proders will be serviced with a fake card and a "camouflaged" 750Ti? :D

signex and Silva like this.
  18. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    You're underestimating fanboys.
    And, if it's decently faster than 1080Ti, it is a reason for people with deep pockets to upgrade.
    12nm+GDDR6 should give a nice boost to justify the upgrade, but the price...it's Ngreedia after all!
    Oh but it is! Take the blindfold off and you'll see it makes sense. GDDR6 uses less power and 12nm will help the GPU be more efficient so they can extract more clocks and resulting in more performance.
    If it didn't justify they wouldn't do it. AMD has nothing to touch 1080Ti territory, the green team has no reasons not to use old tech.

19. thesebastian

thesebastian Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Waterblock
    1500$ sounds really expensive. I always try to spend less than 500€.

Last year I got a used GTX1080 for 430€ and a Gsync 4k refurbished monitor from Amazon warehouse (287€)...Acer XB280HK

(before this gpu I had a 970 that I got new for 330€).

But now I'm considering some 55" 4k TV HDR. I could get some LG from 400-600€ (for Movies, Series and Joystick games, like Darksouls etc).

That said, I'm just waiting for AMD to drop some "FreeSync 2 HDR" TV (the current 2018 Sony are out of my budget), and based on the price, get a TV with that, and In the future I think I'm going to get an AMD card, I don't mind if it's 10-20% slower than Nvidia. Just want something within my budget.

Gsync is death to me, because I don't want to raise my budget. I can't imagine how much a Gsync TV will cost. Damn, even the current 4K 120 fps monitors are expensive and I totally don't recommend a 27" 4k monitor for gaming. 28" 4K (like the one I have) is just good for reading/working. For 4K gaming i recommend 32" or more.

TLDR:

I'm aiming to get in the future:
    - 32" 4k monitor with freesync more than 100Hz (to play first person shooters).
    - 55" 4k TV with freesync and 60Hz (to play anything without mouse).
    - and some freesync card that can handle shooters at 90 fps~ without max details. If this will cost too much money, maybe just something to handle 4k60 fps with good settings and 4k90 fps shooters with min settings.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    Maddness likes this.
  20. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I find it funny how people here are either like "this is no surprise" or "this can't be real". I'm personally in the former group.

People who would go for the 1180 are the same people who went for a Zen+. Some people liked what they saw before but haven't upgraded yet, and just prefer a little extra refinement.
    If the 1180 is basically a 1080Ti with a die shrink and GDDR6, as long as it's priced well (so, maybe between $500-$600), I actually think this would be a pretty decent product, and makes the 1180Ti seem more promising. That being said, I wonder if the price in the article is just a Vietnam issue due to tariffs or taxes or whatever. Nvidia would never have an MSRP like that for this performance tier.

I don't disagree that it's a little disappointing that Nvidia is mostly just doing a refresh after all this time, and I also don't think the 1180 will be worth the upgrade for anyone with a 1070Ti or better, but much like the Zen+ lineup, I think there would be enough of a performance improvement where this would be appealing to some.

EDIT:
    It is important to consider that it's not like Nvidia (or AMD for that matter) were just sitting there doing nothing for the past 2 years. On the Nvidia side, servers have been getting a lot of attention lately, and on AMD's side they've been focusing on next-gen consoles (and a little bit of attention for servers too). Even though gaming GPUs outsell non-gaming GPUs, there's a greater profit margin for the latter group.

airbud7 likes this.