Review: Noctua NF-A12 and P12 Redux Fan Group Test

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Especially our fans and your fans, a review on that new Sterrox based Noctua fan. Well, that and many more newly released ones. Noctua recently released new Sterrox manufactured 120mm fans in a wide r...

Review: Noctua NF-A12 and P12 Redux Fan Group Test

jura11 likes this.
  2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Hey boss, thanks for the review.
    It's nice to see something out of the normal scope of reviews; it's fresh.

Can I ask why you rated the graphs in meters per second?

It's not going to mean that much to most people I don't think as CFM and m^3/h are generally what everyone uses/knows.

One has to do some calculations to get a rough comparison to other manufacturer's specs.

3. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Man these are nice fans, and I want them! Only problem is..The a12's are $29.99 on newegg for one! :( I would need 7!

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Those are the type of fans you buy and forget; they'll last forever.

I've already replaced most of my fans with them; much quieter than the previous NF-f12s

vbetts likes this.

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Well you know me, I like to do things differently :)
    No, the anemometer is a common instrument used to measure wind speed and the register output is in meters per second.

6. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Ah, Noctua did good! So that's a 4 degC decrease in temperature when comparing silent operation performance of previous generation with these new improved fans: 68 degC down to 64 degC with new generation. If your CPU runs hotter than that then the temperature decrease would be greater than 4 degC with these fans, and if your CPU runs cooler than the 60 degC range then the difference will be less than 4 degC - to give some perspective on how much temperature decrease you could expect to see (this is based on my understanding of thermodynamics from a Uni degree a long time ago!). They're some impressive fans!

7. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    They should sell them in bundles with money off if you buy multiple.

I'd need 6 but £180 for fans is too much even with a 6 year warranty. They should sell them in 3's for £75 each hint hint. ^^

I paid 3 squid each for my current 120mm Akasa fans and there good for that price. 10x less than these. Ok they aren't as good but 3 pound vs 30 pound is a problem for me.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  8. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    These new fans do interest me, but I can't remember how airflow vs cooler capability works. If I have the Noctua NH-D15S and I replace the fans with these new ones, will the better fans bring temps down or has the cooler already reached its peak cooling capacity?

9. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Proof that Watercooling is overrated.

Noisiv likes this.
  10. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Maybe I'm crazy/old school, but I would never get a wink of sleep knowing that there is water INSIDE my computer box! Give me more metal and more efficient fans. :)

TheDeeGee likes this.

11. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I can´t wait to read the reviews of the new Noctua coolers with those wicked fans! My current Noctua cooler struggles a little "against" my overclocked 7600K so a better cooler from them is welcome.

Great review as alway!

12. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I think it depends on your current fans you have & what RPM you run your fans at. If you have a noisy but high air flow already through your heatsink then these fans might not see much of an improvement in temperature - already in this Guru3d review at the 100% RPM setting the new fans performance vs previous generation fans wasn't such a big difference - the largest difference is seen at lower RPM's at the threshold of audible vs inaudible. These new fans might decrease the noise for you, but performance difference I imagine would not be that great a difference if your current fans are already at high RPM and pushing lots of air through heatsink.

You've got the NH-D15 cooler already, and that's not noisy, the fans are good on that, so I don't think it's worth replacing them - you'd also have to research if these new fans fit properly on your NH-D15 and also if they're optimised for it. Having typed that just now I googled it, and NH-D15 has 140mm fans on it and this guru3d review is for the 120mm fans, so I wouldn't put 120mm fans on your NH-D15. If Noctua do these new optimised fan designs in 140mm fan versions that are the same shape as the fans on your NH-D15 then it might be worth switching them, but again you'd have to make sure they're the right type of fans - some are designed for static pressure & others are designed more towards air flow - CPU heatsink fans are mostly of the high static pressure variety.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    Noisiv likes this.
  13. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Ah, all good points. I currently have the fan included with the cooler (some kind of custom shaped 140mm with 120mm mounting holes) and a mid range 120mm Cougar HDB PWM fan as the second fan. They both run at about 800-900 RPM and never really spin up. They are quiet so I was thinking maybe the new Noctua A series fan would benefit me, but honestly a delid+liquid metal would do MUCH more for CPU temps but I'm not putting money into a Haswell system at this point. I'll just wait to see what Noctua is up to when the new 8c/16t 9 series Intel CPU comes out and I might build a new PC. Thanks for the info and insight!

14. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Oh yeah, 100%, I highly recommend a delid once you get your new setup going - that's if you want to run quiet & cool! I speak from my own liquid metal delid experience with my 6700K combined with NH-D14 cooler. Yes, so do that delid rather than buy new fans, delid will make way more difference. Of course you void your CPU warranty, but CPU's are reliable, just make sure YOU are when you delid!

BuildeR2 likes this.
  15. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    My build has now less fans with the noctua d15s that with the previous H110 i had... Likewise temps, less noise. AIOs are *****, if we are talking about customs, then its a different tale to tell.

Noisiv likes this.

16. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I don't hear anything with my Case Fans at 600 RPM and CPU Fans at 750 RPM.

Did you even check out the review?

Noisiv likes this.
  17. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    And your temps are nowhere near a H20 setup either.

H20 has way more potential options for different setups.

What's your point?

typhon6657 likes this.
  18. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    My 4770k @ 4,5 GHz reaches 55-60C depending on the game, which is a perfectly safe operating temperature, and a more than a good result for fans at 750 RPM.

And my GTX 1070 @ +125/+500 maxes out at 59C with an Arctic Accelero Extreme 4 fixed at 35% Fan Speed.

Not sure why one would want to risk their hardware with water to gain 1% more performance over air, and have 20C less just because of e-peen. It's not like 35C vs 60C is gonna expand the lifetime by 10 years.

Noisiv and Robbo9999 like this.
  19. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    It's true that on a practical level water cooling doesn't really offer tangible gains in performance over air with current gen Pascal GPUs, and also not for 4 and possibly 6 core Intel CPUs. For the GPUs, 2150Mhz on water vs say 2050Mhz on air would only be less than 5% increase in performance, and that's probably an optimistic best case difference in performance between the two. A good third party air cooler on a Pascal card is all you really need to get the best out of it. Same is true when it comes to cooling Intel CPUs, you only really need water cooling (and good quality water cooling at that!) for overclocking of 8 core plus CPUs.

Noisiv likes this.
  20. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    1%?

Your whole statement just proves your ignorance and lack of experience with water.

Agonist likes this.