AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990X 32-core Waves Hello in 3DMark Database

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Embra, cryohellinc and BigMaMaInHouse like this.
  2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Meanwhile at Intel HQ

[​IMG]

3. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    This CPU must be a creators dream!

4. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    hahaha...made my day, Thanks!

cowie, Dragam1337 and cryohellinc like this.

5. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    I loved this, thanks!

Dragam1337 and cryohellinc like this.
  6. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    I didn't imagine we would move so quickly from the weak quad cores (maybe 6 in the HEDT) that Intel got us used to for so many years ... to something like this !

People are complaining that software is not designed for so many cores, that single thread performance is still so important.
    Well, there's a reason for that. WHY BOTHER ?... when most people have low-core CPU's.

Now with affordable 8-cores and up to 32 possible for home users (assuming they have the $$$), I'm quite sure software vendors will start thinking more seriously on how to multi-thread their products better !

~~
    Personal note: I bought my 6800K (6 cores) just 2 years ago, as the 8 and 10 cores were completely out of my budget (900+ euro for 8, and over 1600 euro for 10-core Broadwell-E). At that time the only alternative was Skylake K, basically a quad core that clocks higher than mine.
    Even so the platform itself (X99) was quite expensive !

No way in hell I thought that soon there will be 16-core CPU's available for just 750 euro !!!
    AMD really shook the market from it's foundation !

7. Rx4speed

Rx4speed Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 295x2
    I'll upgrade soon, and it is between the 8700K and 2700X. I play Battlefield, which a multi-core CPU game. Performance in BF1 is about a wash. I also Sim Race in VR. I may have CrewChief, VoiceAttack, Telemetry software, Oculus software, my wheel software and say Project Cars2 all open and using CPU cycles. And, in VR, its all about keeping FPS above 90. A fellow racer tested both CPU's in PCars2(VR) and while the 8700K had a higher average framerate than the 2700X, the 8700K dropped below 90 way more often with 20+ cars on the track and weather such as rain, than did the 8700k. I think we are now at the point where the single core higher clock argument for gaming has become a wash, at best. Throw recoding or streaming on top of this and we've crossed the line. G-sync/Freesync technologies have moved this line in the same direction because you can now enjoy lag/tear free gaming on say, a 144hz monitor at 120FPS instead of being forced to have an FPS above 144 and get tearing.

8. PolishRenegade

PolishRenegade Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070
    People saying that are, well, very misinformed. Switching from 2 to 4 cores was like switching from a HDD to a 1st gen SATA2 SSD. Switching from 4 to 8 is like switching to a NVMe M2 PCIe x4 SSD. Sure it's not as much of a visible jump but once you go there, you don't go back. Everything is snappier, faster, not bottle necked and, compared to storage, actually gets faster with better software. You don't switch CPUs every 2 years like a GPU, you switch with big generational changes... and that's what FINALLY happened with AMD's 6-8 core offerings.

9. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Really impressive stuff from AMD, keep it coming :p

10. Pinscher

Pinscher Guest

GPU:
    1080 ti Duke
    You're sort of negating the fact that AMD already had many core designs, be it pore performing ones...

11. Pinscher

Pinscher Guest

GPU:
    1080 ti Duke
    One nice thing about your predicament, is that any next gen GPU on 7nm is going to be powerful enough for most any of today's applications at 4k. :)

You no longer have to choose Nvidia to get great performance. Even second rate GPU's will post decent frames going forward. :) time to get a 4k freesync SHDR screen.

12. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Wait for next year, Zen 2 is around the corner.

13. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    7nm is not a magic bullet that triples the speed of all GPUs just by existing...
    Also why would you choose a second rate GPU if a faster choice is available? :D

14. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    And for most users, their PC performed much better with those lower performing 8 core processors then the higher performing 2-4 core Intel processors.

Venix and Fox2232 like this.
  15. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    I am not a intel fanboy but amd is still the slower of them two, even with 32 cores they still cant match intels faster 6 core in gaming.
    So yeah ? best bang for buck i think so. Good for folk that want a budget cpu and decent game fps resulsts.

16. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Who buys a 32 core for gaming???? Also even if you do fork 1500 for a cpu alone it is safe to asume you are aiming for 4k... where the perfomance is identical across all cpus, almost .....

That said if anyone buy this just for gaming then....he is an idiot ! With money to burn though!

17. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    ...Do you even read what you are saying?

If you're going to fault AMD for not being able to "compete" with Intels 6 cores for gaming, even with their 32 cores, then you're going to have to fault Intel as well.

Since obviously, Intel can't compete with their own 6 core part with their 8 core, 10 core, 12 core, 14 core, 16 core or 18 core, and soon to be they won't be able to compete with their own 6 core with cores up to 28 cores.

You do not buy multiple cores for the outdated view of depending on simplistic single-core performance, you buy multiple cores for the overall much faster processing machine.

If you rely so heavily on single-core performance metrics then one: go back to 2008, and two: Stop paying attention and commenting on topics you have zero clue about.

I've said this before and i'll say it again:

You do not judge the performance of a processor by GIMPING said processor to only use 1/4th or 1/16th of the processor. That is not how performance is determined.

That'd be like having someone who is the fastest person in the world on one leg (forced to hop on one leg) due to losing a leg and getting quite good at it, then pitting that that person against the fastest person in the world on two legs, but forcing that person to only use 1 leg, and then call the guy who only has one leg as the fastest person in the world due to the fact that the guy with 2 legs could not keep up. Completely taking out of consideration the fact that the guy with 2 legs is indeed much faster then the guy with 1 leg and is actually the fastest person in the world.

You do not GIMP a product to say its faster. Simple as that. That doesn't mean you can't prefer the much slower processor because it does specifically what you want better, that's your narrow minded choice to not pay attention to what technology is going toward and that's your prerogative.

And this is applied to both AMD and Intel, as said above, if you're going to fault AMD for their higher core processors not being able to "compete" to Intels 6 core processor, then you're going to have to fault Intel for the exact same reason, which you don't.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    HandR likes this.
  18. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    I still prefer intel cpu,s for gaming.

19. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Nothing wrong with that you are one of many ....but why you mentionioned that on the threadripper news? I mean when intel releases their 28 core would you feel the same need to post there that their 6 core is better for gaming there for you prefer it for gaming? Also procced to note how much better their 6 core is on single thread? Because it will be no way they can clock as high with 28 cores and it will not be based on the ring bus either!

20. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    This sums up intel's HQ the last 2 years or so.