Gigabyte graphics card shipments to drop 20% in 2Q18

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We mentioned a global drop in demand already, now things solidify as a surge in cryptocurrency mining demand is dragging down Gigabyte Technology's graphics card shipments in the second quarter, whi...

Gigabyte graphics card shipments to drop 20% in 2Q18

2. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Looks like we know who sent back 300k of GPU's now LOL.

RavenMaster and schmidtbag like this.
  3. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    Meanwhile, graphics card prices are still near double what they should be. A low end GTX 1060 3GB is $250+ should be $149 by now ($179 at launch).

Silva and airbud7 like this.
  4. Rx4speed

Rx4speed Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 295x2
    They are simply priced too high for demand. The 1080/1070's released over 26 months ago, and the 1080 ti released 14 months ago. The used market is flooded with cheap mining cards and obviously, some purchasers are ok with the risk-reward of buying one locally or off sleeze-bay. Otherwise, you are still paying hundreds over original MSRP at Newegg etc. This whole video card pricing rollercoaster has left a very bad taste in my mouth for Newegg, Amazon, Nvidia etc. I used to love opening a new Newegg ad. Now, as I'm opening it, I'm uttering FU Newegg under my breath,

5. BlueRay

BlueRay Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    And yet 2 year old GPUs are still way above MSRP. At this point with new GPU generation in the horizon they should be below MSRP and not at MSRP or way above it.
    Have fun with that old overpriced unsold tech supply now.

Silva and -Tj- like this.
  6. Seikon

Seikon Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Gaming X 8g
    The price won't go down fast , they got used to make a lot of money per card , so they try to keep the price as high as possible while they still manage to sell them , trust me people buy even @ the price we have now , so if we want the price to drop even lower people need to stop buying gfx's card's.

Silva likes this.
  7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I'm surprised how many people on ebay are selling their used GPUs for so close to the MSRP. Spend an extra $20 or so and you can buy the same thing but brand new.

It'll be interesting how cheap these used GPUs get once the market is so over-saturated with them. Right now, I'm sure the remaining serious miners may be buying some of these used models, which is what's keeping the price up. But eventually that's going to stop. By the time the price of the used models gets low enough, I'm seriously considering buying 2 or 3 GPUs. Might be good for something like a multiplayer gaming rig.

Fox2232 and airbud7 like this.
  8. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Surge? Surely you mean slump HH.

9. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    Yep, I am hoping to buy a new GTX 1080 Ti 11GB, or the like, for $99.99 in a year or so. :p

Silva likes this.
  10. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Thats nowt compared to PowerColor :D

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018

11. FookDat

FookDat Guest

GPU:
    6950XT RD 2889/2498
    All they have to do to stop the mining issue is make dedicated cards for mining only, dont allow gaming gpus to do mining... PROBLEM SOLVED! Thats what firepro cards are for right?! Video editing and compression they specialize in it! They already have options to choose to set it to graphics or computing. But they are making so much money off the price hiking they wont stop.
    Video card manufacturers should be held accountable just like the memory companies just got sued for 8 billion dollars for doing the same thing!
    These big companies love the high demand and low supply allows them to charge whatever they want cause they know people will buy it. Plus they are not coming out with another graphics card till next year. They are milking it. Instead of the 1080 price going down they will discontinue it when they release the next card.
    PC master race is no more, not when consoles play games with a flat rate cost and prices go down for those systems not up!
    With games being released under developed and the cost going up not down. No wonder they are seeing sales go down..
    What genius got paid millions to figure that out. We charge to much for our products and dont lower prices over years, in fact raise prices! hmmmm why are people not buying our stuff!?

Stop making gpus do computing/mining.

I mean we have server and desktop cpus for a reason right?
    Why are we not making gpus be the same. Then they can charge miners double and triple for their cards and the gamer market can come back! Want to increase sales fix the mining and gamer gpu sharing issues....

12. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    ^having them dedicate gpu's to mining solves nothing since it still takes away from available gpu's that could go into gaming cards so u end up in the same situation. The only think Nvidia/AMD could do is not allow mining at the driver level but miners would find a way around this and also why would they try and stop miners from buying their gpu's

13. FookDat

FookDat Guest

GPU:
    6950XT RD 2889/2498
    Make different gpus... they use different gpus on the physics cards dont they and dedicate apu cards... why not dedicated hardware for mining... there is a way. They just like the money they are making. Actually it will solve the problem. You just are not thinking correctly.

14. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
  15. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Probably because mining only cards would have no resale value to another miner....at least a miner can sell on old gpu`s to gamer`s without having to declare or admit they were used for mining and had the nuts thrashed off them.

16. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Wait for the ddr4 version.

Silva likes this.
  17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Since they're 1060s, I believe the seller - those weren't as popular to miners. I think that seller has a pretty reasonable backstory.
    Besides, even if it was for mining, I actually see that as a good thing. Most mining farms invested in making sure their parts ran cool and reliably, so even if they're OC'd, they'd probably in better condition than what you'd get from some random kid who has birthday money to upgrade.
    So, I'd say that's a decent price. But, being 3GB models, you're going to want to make sure you've got a lot of fast RAM.

airbud7 likes this.
  18. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
  19. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    Well, when cryptocoin values drops even more... let's say to their real value - exactly ZERO - the videocard market will recover. Won't be fun for OEMs when gazillions of GPU's used for mining will flood the 2nd-hand market, but for the rest of us it will be nice.

That 1080Ti is waiting for me as well... somewhere ;-)

20. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Well i have had my 1080's for 2 years now and i most definitely will not be upgrading to the Ti versions. 1180 or bust.

Silva likes this.