RX Vega Owners Thread, Tests, Mods, BIOS & Tweaks !

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Aug 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Using the AMD overlay (just found it this morning, lol) I get up to 324W peak usage, and hover around 250W+/- while gaming. 47°C full load GPU temp (~21-22 ambient).
    Not checked the hotspot for a while. Will check now just to see. ;)

2. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    OK, a few minutes in GTA V became a few hours lol :)

[​IMG]
    I'm still getting quite a hotspot temp, even with a 50mm thick 240 radiator, and four fans at full speed.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    OnnA likes this.
  3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    That's not too bad, base temp is under control and hotspot at 10 - 15 degrees higher seems pretty common. It's more of a issue when it hits 20+ degrees higher and people have had it hit over 90 degrees for some cards though this is likely down to faulting contact with the cooler.
    (The stock GPU at least and the three or so different chip variants and the epoxy filling and all that.)

Memory is fine at least, below 65 degrees is the ideal from my understanding where it starts loosing up timings a bit and then throttling above that.
    And 1.2v so it's hitting the high-clock states probably bouncing between p6 and p7 although I think the Vega 64's are a bit higher binned in general and might be able to retain the p7 speeds more than the Vega 56's are unless you tweak them a bit. :)

Good speeds for the HBM2 memory too, 1100 - 1150 seems to be where they tend to cap out at but that's also where it seems they start seeing more diminishing returns though up to 1000 or 1100 they do yield some nice gains to overall performance from what I'm reading up on.

EDIT: And I'm reading it incorrectly, that's memory and not core.

Still it's below 75 degrees and I think the thermal limit is 95 though you want to avoid the GPU getting that hot but with water cooling doing a pretty strong job it seems like it's holding up nicely if that's after a few hours of in-game time. :)

4. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Yes, another Fan in front of the LC grill so:
    ||->> |||| ||-->>

@JonasBeckman

"Good speeds for the HBM2 memory too, 1100 - 1150 seems to be where they tend to cap out at but that's also where it seems they start seeing more diminishing returns though up to 1000 or 1100 they do yield some nice gains to overall performance from what I'm reading up on."

Point me to some tests -> with difference 1100-1200HBM2

5. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    :D

6. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    I flashed it to LC Bios, so it would seem the thermal threshold is 75°C. The chips can go a lot higher, ie 95°C, before major problems.
    Thats why I went all out on the watercooling, dedicated Laing DDC, thick 240 Radiator, and four fans at full belt. I wanted the cooling to not be whats holding it back :)

I have tried to get the HBM over 1100, but it was a while ago, and it wasn't really having it. Also, I'm pretty damn close to the Power limit, which is what i'm thinking is limiting me atm. So 1100MHz at 1000mV was a pretty good OC for the HBM, and decided to just leave it at that.
    OnnA's Voltages are a lot lower than mine though, which is what i noticed first.
    Here's mine :
    [​IMG]

I did try and lower P7 voltage a bit more today, and got a hard lockup. I've finally decided this is the best i'm going to get, and stop fecking with it before I break it :)

edit : It was after a few hours (I lost track of time, but at least two hours) of GTA:V at 1440p, at all maxed out settings. The only one possibly not maxed out was shadows, which was set to Softest. I got a low of 34fps.
    Generally, I go up to the Vinewood sign, just past it, and look out over the city. It pegs the GPU usage to 98/99%, so I leave it there for 10-15mins, to check everything is good and warm. Then I just drive, usually on a custom bike I upgraded.
    I have to admit, I am on 1% of the missions accomplished, but about 64 hours of play. I spend nearly all my time driving around, either on the bike, a random car, or a Truck and trailer (my fave lol :)), all while listening to Los Santos rock radio. I got the bug in San Andreas, with the truck driving. It may be insane, but its really fun and relaxing ;)

edit2: I just checked and its actually 1% (just the first mission) and 79 hours of play....

OnnA likes this.
  7. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Yo Guys:
    @Evildead666
    @JonasBeckman

Short 20min AC:O session with my default Strong OC profile:
    Also as we can see AC:O can use/utilise ~10 Threads ! (im only counting 58% and upwards)
    [​IMG]

Evildead666 likes this.
  8. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Ah I see, that's the one thing with that bios that it has a limit of 75 degrees so it's recommended the GPU is kept cooled or it'll shut down.
    Four fans on the radiator ought to keep the liquid nice and cool though it's cutting close but it's under the limit and that's what's important and the hotspot is named that way for a reason.
    (And if that's after several hours then well it's going to hold and has been thoroughly tested.)

And from the above image from Onna I can see that the GPU is behaving as intended regulating core clock speeds in sync with voltage and thermals but also hitting the full 1700 target.
    (Average looks lower since it's taken at desktop after exiting the game thus the GPU reverting to idle speeds.)

The actual liquid cooled Vega 64's are really high binned though so I am not surprised it can managed a lower voltage and still hit the target speeds, Vega 64 air would be next and then Vega 56 but it can still be quite flexible plus having lower stock speeds and reduced shader cores gives some additional headroom for tweaking offset by the fact that many Vega 56's are currently going be using Hynix which has a lower memory clock limit and generally aren't entirely compatible with Vega 64 bioses using Samsung though sometimes it works.

Allowing for 900 - 950 Mhz perhaps without artifacts or worse the GPU driver crashing though this can also happen with the core clocks and voltages if the card isn't throttling it enough with a lower voltage than required specified and Wattman being a bit glitchy. :)
    (I find it to depend heavily on the software in question just how well it scales which I suppose isn't entirely surprising with different programs and games having different workloads and requirements on the hardware such as the GPU.)
    (In general I find a few of the UE4 games to be pretty good indication of stability since they want to push the card pretty hard so if it crashes that's a good sign of it not being fully stable at the current settings.)

Evildead666 and OnnA like this.
  9. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Downsampling has been a problem as well at least via VSR where voltage might return back to the default bios value and not the Wattman one, might just be the demand on the GPU is too much but it's something to be aware of, I think it was a bigger issue with some of the 18.4.x and maybe 18.5.x drivers though pushing 5120x2880 is going to be demanding regardless so it could also just be that. :)
    (And of course 3840x2160 below that, plenty demanding in newer games without going all out with downsampling.)

EDIT: Monitoring programs like HWInfo would be a easy way to check at least, overall GPU temps or similar would also be a bit higher of course from the increased heat but also from the GPU workload from just pushing more pixels.

10. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    1728MHz at 1.094V is just damn sweet. :) No wonder you have such a low power consumption :) Thats a great chip, no foolies.
    I'm just going to have to bite the bullet next time and get a ready-watercooled card....

edit : Just noticed your CPU temp delta is insane! Is that a chiller on there to get it so low ? ;)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018

11. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    I had lot of problems with Wattman, not keeping the overclocks, or resetting, and being just very unstable (I have to admint that was on 17.11.x, and i've just jumped this week to 18.6.1).
    The OverdriveNTool is just perfect. All i've done in wattman, is set it to custom, and not touched anything else, and i'm pretty sure you don't even have to do that.
    As for Stress testing, Unigine Superposition at the Extreme shader setting, even at 1080p, will crash the card if you push it too far, even if its playable in most games.
    I haven't tried my latest overclock on it yet, and probably won't, as I beleive i'm litterally at the razors edge, and its working fine in all the games i've tried so far.
    Its about time I updated HXInfo to the latest version, there is a lot more info on there, that I can use to check GPU-Z is getting the same values (its easier to screengrab ;))

I use VSR all the time, as my display is 1080p, and I game at 1440p. It just looks better to me, and I can't go back anymore. Not had any problems with it at all, except my open windows on the desktop get moved towards the center a bit when I come out of a game back to the desktop. even minimized windows.

btw, the AMD overlay either didn't like GTA:V, or didn't like playing with Afterburner display at the same time. screen went like it was an encoded tv channel until i toggled it back off. Didn't crash anything, just didn't look good at all...

Dekaohtoura likes this.
  12. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Cold Water Mod.
    Google the new Liquids for AIO etc.
    Also, it is good to consider to replace Vega cooling with this Bad Water Boy :D

Also sometimes it hits 60-65deg, so it's about 5-10deg lower than other AIOs (not much but still it is good for me)

13. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Isn't a cold water mod like a bucket with ice+water to extra cool the liquid to lower than ambient temps ?

I use a H100 on the CPU, a pretty thin 240 radiator, with also 4 fans. Same as the GPU. Going to be changing it for a 140mm AiO, because i need my top 5 1/4" bay back. My i5-3570K at 4.2GHz all cores hits 60's when on a stress test, but usually 40-50's in most games. I don't think I have any games that require any more than 4 threads, but I haven't started any of the Wolfenstein II games yet (too busy driving in GTA lol)

I managed to squeeze all my stuff into a microATX case, albeit with an external 12V/90W power brick dedicated to the cooling (pumps and fans). Its just rather loud. Its also on the other side of the door :)

(I have to go sleep, or I'll be crap tomorrow ;) )

OnnA likes this.
  14. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    It's more like changing Liquid into more Hi-Tek one....
    Many "waters" are avaible out there... (BTW, Best ones are colorless)

15. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Can you give an example ?
    I use a water based liquid in the cooling loop, but the additive is mainly to prevent rections between copper and aluminium and such.

I don't see how just changing liquid can lower your temps that much.

16. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Your choice.
    They are also some experimental coolants (but those are avaible on Tech lab at University)

Basicaly it's cooler "water" - molecular structure is more resistant to over heat.
    Or use distilled water with Silver like anybody.

-> http://mayhems.co.uk/which-coolant-is-right/

-> http://www.petrastechshop.com/sikibyia.html/
    -> and -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oligodynamic_effect

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    Evildead666 likes this.
  17. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Cheers. thanks for the links, will have a good look at that.

18. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Making another Deus Ex MkD Playthrough...
    All Ultra with AA in DX12 -> Game is runing so smooth is just breath taking :rolleyes::D

Chill is ON = 63-70Hz
    HQ Aniso & Catalyst A.I. Textures set to High Quality (My default settings for Gaming)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  19. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    :D

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  20. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Some UV guide :cool: