GeForce HotFix 398.18

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by peppercute, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    No...Witcher 3 crashes at stock with same settings until I apply oc profile...please don't say something might be dying!?

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    What are your out of the box clock speeds?

3. Dragondale13

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    2038 core / 4104 mem using Extreme bios version to my card.
    2012 core / 4004 mem is stock AMP! speeds.
    2126 core / 4554 mem is my oc profile using the curve.

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Some cards boost too high out of the box and are somewhat unstable, it's not very common but it happens.

Maybe try setting a flat 1900mhz and 4000 memory and see if it crashes.

It's likely more stable with your custom curve due to better temps and/or more voltage.

Of course if it crashes with 1900mhz you can forget what I said, likely just some software issue.

5. Dragondale13

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    It won't crash but performance takes a hit.
    After adding my card to the AB database allowing a constant 1.093v, the card has been really stable.
    Firestrike, MHO benchmark, pass again and again, no matter what driver I use, and well the issue I tried to describe with WD2.
    It's really weird...Oh I thought I wasn't able to differentiate between drivers since the unlocked voltage but...

This is off topic so sorry in adv., according to "the web" Fast Startup option in Win10 is supposed to cease functioning once Hibernate is turned off.
    It was still functioning on my rig until I unchecked it in advanced power options.
    How I knew was I would finish running Firestrike and shutdown, then on reboot, Futuremark sys.info service would still be running in processes.
    Unchecked the Fast Startup box, that no longer happens.
    It's also tied to my bios settings for memory..Enable/Disable Fast boot.
    Disabled, Fast Startup would disappear entirely but then I'd lose some memory performance.
    Enabled or Auto, FS would be present and memory performance is normal, even with it unchecked.

As I've disabled Fast Startup, the difference in performance between drivers has returned.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Fast startup can add it's own sets of issues.

Think of enabling a permenant hibernation; when you shutdown everything is suspended to the drive and upon bootup it loads it all again.

So basically you are just setting your PC to sleep in a sense without actually giving it a 'fresh' startup.

tiliarou and Dragondale13 like this.
  7. Dragondale13

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Exactly...I guess injecting a snapshot of your kernel into memory at startup is cool in theory but a nightmare in real life, especially when one is trying to squeeze every bit of performance one can get.
    I actually thought I had a virus but Bitdefender came up clean twice, I was confused as Firestrike doesn't have a startup option lol..the more you know...thank you o wise senator. :)

tiliarou likes this.
  8. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    on this driver shadowplay not recording system/game sounds!
    im with asus soar strix conected 5.1 via 3.5mm

9. Spider-Vice

Spider-Vice Active Member

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT 8G
    Interesting you say this, my 1060 keeps TDR'ing at random times in games with all 390 series drivers, but it doesn't do it at all in 388. I don't think the clocks have changed, it's the Zotac AMP! version as well, and I really wouldn't like to downclock it due to what seems to be a driver issue, as older drivers don't present this behaviour and I wouldn't like to lose any performance. The card is relatively new, it's never overheated, I have never OC'd it myself and there are NO issues like artifacts, screen turning on failures or ANYTHING when this happens. It just... crashes at random. Revert to 388 and everything is fine and dandy.

10. Dragondale13

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Was a bit of a mystery to me as well.Since my last post I've gotten Watch Dogs 2 to run at 60fps locked, Vsync on (Nvcpl), max pre-render 1, without any CTD.
    In Nvcpl, under scaling options, check "Override Scaling Options Set by Programs", especially if you use DSR.
    Since I did that everything seems to be back to normal in terms of locking to any framerate I want without a CTD.
    Also, I discovered a file named "NVContainer.recovery.bat" lingering under "C:\Windows", since the 4th of April...quite possibly left there since my last format, first driver being installed after that.
    So make sure to delete it if you find it...it contributes to the hang at shutdown..doesn't fix it completely, but it helps.

11. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I have 2 files "NvContainerRecovery.bat" and "NvTelemetryContainerRecovery.bat" both created 6/7/18 when I did last install (398.18).

12. Dragondale13

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    I deleted the one dated April 4th "NvContainerRecovery.bat" it was the only one present for me.I've re-installed 398.18 since then and it hasn't returned.I edit the setup.cfg when installing these and 398.11.

-Tj- likes this.
  13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Great catch!

Mine was created 24.5.2018.. its around the same time I started seeing this bs more frequently, will delete that just in case now when I'm installing new 398.36.

EDIT
    : well, mine got auto deleted when I uninstalled the driver, I had that windows folder opened in the background while uninstalling 398.11.

14. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I Deleted them both just before updating to 398.36, they get renewed after driver install.
    I don't think these files do anything once the driver is installed.

eGGroLLiO likes this.
  15. Dragondale13

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Glad you said that as "NvContainerRecovery.bat" got installed again with 398.36 so I deleted it.

16. athosdewitt

athosdewitt New Member

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB MSI G X
    it's still a thing 385.69? wasn't 388.xx something and 390.77 good enough to upgrade from that driver? i might get that old gem back if you can confirm that it's still the best compared with latest 398.36 or with 388 / 390

17. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    Keeping in mind, I am talking about on my rig (AMD FX6300, GTX 1060 3GB), with my settings, etc....
    385.69 is thee fastest driver I have found, and seems the most bug free on my system. That said, 388.43 is very close in performance and is a bit newer. 391.35 was solid but a bit slower in performance. Since posting this I have decided to move to 388.43 until I find better. The newer ones probably have 'security' fixes most folks will want.

398.xx all give me trouble with apps hanging when rebooting. Not a huge deal, but makes think they are buggy hackjobs anyway.

18. athosdewitt

athosdewitt New Member

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB MSI G X
    my rig it's a bit older than yours (windows 10 1607 phenom ii 965 / gtx 970 3.5gb lol) Well i don't have such problems with 398.11. i was thinking more about stuttering and lower fps with newer drivers rather than with 385.69.