Micro-Stutter watching Youtube Videos

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Eastcoasthandle, Feb 6, 2018.

?

Do you notice micro-stutter watching Certain Youtube Videos as Descibed in this thread?

Poll closed Mar 6, 2018.
  1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    71.4%
  3. Sometimes

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  4. Not sure, It wasn't something I thought to look for until this thread.

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Has anyone notice this micro-stutter while watching homemade low budget type of youtube videos? I didn't even notice it until certain portions of the video will be ultra smooth and fluid (like one would watching tv). Then go back to the way it was, micro-stutter. And one wouldn't notice it until it became real smooth and fluid all of a sudden.

It's not a buffering problem, not a bandwidth issue nor does it appear a issue on their end. It's like the only problem is how I'm seeing it. I do not think it has anything to do with the difference between 30-60 refresh rate either.

Has anyone else experienced this? If you have did you find a fix for it?

I am wondering what I can do from a graphics driver side of things to fix it.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  2. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    How about.....

dropping the link to affected video(S)

3. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT

Problem is when I replay the exact spots where it stutters I doesn't.

Jackalito likes this.
  4. slimmy427

slimmy427 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA Hybrid 1080ti
    I have had issues...not recently or consistently. Have you right clicked the video and checked the stats for nerds info? It will show dropped frames there.

Eastcoasthandle likes this.

5. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Thanks I will keep an eye out for it using that.

6. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    Well in fact, I have watched until the 2m:30 of that video, at a mere 720P/60FPS with my HD 7850 (GCN 1.0)
    I'm using the 17.2.1 drivers (18.x drivers causes audio corruption for me in the videos recorded with relive)
    And I end up with dropped frames, like every 10 seconds or something, there was a dropped frame, I didn't noticed any to be honest, but don't seem to normal to have dropped frames on a 720/60 video. Even my shitty laptop with a mere GT 740M and a mere dual core 4 threads haswell at 2.3GHZ has 0 dropped frames, so clearly something is happening.

[​IMG]

7. iakoboss7

iakoboss7 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 480 8GB
    some dropped frames here also on 720p, thats strange.

8. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    Actually done the same thing as my desktop, and I end up with some dropped frames too.
    Altough.. My laptop is doing a ton of stuff, like upload videos, and some tabs opened and stuff like that.
    Also youtube is not using the nvidia card but yet my Intel IGP from the laptop (specs on the screenshot) with it's default windows 10 drivers (dated of 11/10/2016).

So it's 3 dropped frames on an Intel IGP (Haswell GT2)/i5 4200U (15w all) vs 16 dropped frames on a HD 7850 2GB Phenom II X4 945 @ 3.6GHZ (around 250w TDP) LOOOOOOOOOOOOL

[​IMG]

9. slimmy427

slimmy427 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA Hybrid 1080ti
    a few dropped frames from the buffer can be "normal". What for monitor are you using? I had my PC connected to a samsung 4k HDMI 2.0 and sufferd a ton of dropped frames. Moved my PC back to the monitor and frames are stable. My guess it had something to do with EDID and generic PNP driver

Edit: Something to look into is stability of your internet jitter. I cant remember where I heard it but, I will have to see if I can find it. Either way, someone mentioned that an unstable router / modem or ISP can cause dropped frames...almost as if they are corrupt

10. slimmy427

slimmy427 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA Hybrid 1080ti
    Did a bit of looking around. Some say it is related to sound sync. Others, Hardware acceleration in chrome settings. May even be one of many things that could use a software update.

Try using Latency Monitor. It will show you if your system is hanging and what is causing it. Hear is an interesting thread that way help http://www.overclock.net/t/1433882/...ios-optimization-guide-for-modern-pc-hardware

This seems unrelated but may help. http://www.overclock.net/forum/71-n...cy-problems-hotfix-doesn-t-work-everyone.html

11. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX5700 XT 8G
    No such issues here.

[​IMG]

It could be a Chrome thing. Try Firefox.

A HD 7850 shouldn't have any problems rendering Youtube videos. I don't get any dropped frames on my intel HD 2500 either.

12. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    DISABLE HARDWARE ACCELERATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

LocoDiceGR likes this.
  13. iakoboss7

iakoboss7 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 480 8GB
    i got it disabled and it still drops frames.

14. slimmy427

slimmy427 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA Hybrid 1080ti
  15. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Few drops in Chrome, with both HW acc and no-acc. These drops are hard to observe with naked eye, maybe even impossible. Looks fluid to me, so I voted no-stutter.
    However the issue is... when starting that video, there is a single audio pop/crackle maybe 30ms in duration, and is quite noticeable, easy to hear. Irregardless which audio device I am using.

Zero frame drops in Edge and in IE11. And unlike Chrome, there are no audio issues when starting the video.

slimmy427 likes this.

16. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    No dropped frames in mozzilla HW ON, latest drivers.

17. Seren

Seren Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix RX570
    0 dropped frames on my HD5750 at 1080p60 and Firefox Nighly (HW ON).

18. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    UPDATE:

I found a fix. After all this time it was the monitor causing the intermittent problem.
    Here is what I found out:
    The monitor's refresh rate was dipping below the refresh rate and it would happen intermittently.
    I used the following websites to see for myself (granted there are other apps that do the same thing)
    https://www.vsynctester.com/detect.html
    Web browser "VSYNC synchronization", display Hz, and input lag tester

What I did was use Crimson's Custom Resolutions to create a profile bumping up the G.Refresh Rate (Hz) by .040Hz and the problem is solved.

BackDrop:
    I messed with the refresh rate before in thinking that I could OC it. I don't think I ever set it back to default. Although I did find other videos discribing some who have a drop as low as 2Hz from their default refresh rate.

How do I edit this thread to indicate that it's Solved?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    fluidz and z8373767 like this.
  19. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Wait a second, people still use youtube as their main video site?

OP, i use dailymotion, i don't have that problem. However, there are certain videos i do watch on youtube to check out something that dailymotion may not have and no i don't have any micro stuttering. pretty much all videos run at 4k or 1080p no issues.

I use ublock and i use firefox the lastest version, but don't have that problem in chrome neither. maybe use ublock and see does videos work better. Using a AMD firepro W5000 GPU/enterprise drivers.

20. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I appreciate the suggestion. I've known about dialymotion since the Intel P4 days (I think). You got me thinking of another website like dailymotion that I ventured to but shut down years ago. I don't recall them now but they were one of the first back than that was doing 1080p videos.

Anyway, after 3 days the stutter is no longer there after adjusting the G.Refresh Rate (Hz) by .040Hz. I also noticed now that whenever I use frame rate cap it can be either 60 or 61 FPS now instead of 59 and 60 FPS.