AMD: Threadripper Exchange (trade 8086K for a 1950X)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by D3M1G0D, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Pinscher

Pinscher Guest

GPU:
    1080 ti Duke
    A publicity stunt that encourages users to buy competition's products for a chance to win one of their own is ridiculous.

They simply should do a draw off of their websites for free TR's instead of the free up garbage to Intel users. AMD is basically doing 1 of 2 things.

1) Encouraging AMD users to buy Intel CPU's for a chance of an upgrade to TR, which would result in Intel sales going off and upset AMD users who don't get the upgrades and may even push AMD users who don't win to end up using Intel base systems. That works against AMDs favor.

2) Rewarding Intel users who normally wouldn't buy AMD with a chance to win a TR which is really rude to AMD users/fans and a huge disservice to those who have support AMD for ever.

AMD has no idea how to reward it's users if this is this is what they come up with as a publicity stunt.

Honestly, I think AMD has a surplus of TR's as the use case for such a system build is really niche. What do you do when you have excess product? Give it away...Since you can't really give it away since no one owns a mobo, what do you do? Publicity BS.

2. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    I think you missed the main facts required for the exchange.

-Tj- likes this.
  3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    You can't buy your way into AMD's giveaway. Maybe you should have actually read the article first....

To be eligible for AMD's give-away you have to have entered and won Intel's give-away. Says that quite clearly here:
    Taking the time to read an article before commenting on it makes you look a lot smarter....

carnivore likes this.
  4. blppt

blppt Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 64 Watercooled
    "They purchased nothing. Only the free prizes qualify for the exchange."

Yes, but who do you think entered the contest in the first place?

5. Asgardi

Asgardi Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    You can see from the deal terms already that they dont really want anyone using it. Just cheap marketing. But it made alot of people happy :)

6. Priyeshbabariya

Priyeshbabariya Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 AMP+
  7. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I know you didn't reply to my post, but I agree with Daz, GTX 1080ti would be a bottleneck at that resolution - AMD CPUs can push 100fps in most cases without a problem, and 3440x1440 is a lot of pixels for the GPU to push to 100fps+. AMD CPUs still not the CPUs to get for 144Hz gaming though, as we know an overclocked 8700K is the best for this.

8. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Any people living in eligible countries who noticed the sweepstakes in time? It's a historical moment of Intel actually giving out something good for free, instead of charging the absolute premium. I'd have participated for that fact alone. Besides, there must have been plenty of participants who could actually use the numerous cores of a Threadripper more (for non-gaming purposes obviously) but wouldn't be able to comfortable afford it. So, even if the 8086K wouldn't be the optimal one for their purposes, it would still likely be much better than whatever they happened to previously have.

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    This may be the first time I actually feel a little sad for Intel. They were doing something nice for once and people are stomping all over them. Sure, the 8086K is a stupid product, but they're not expecting people to buy it for this.

10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    What comes around goes around.

I don't feel any sympathy for them, they made shitty products full of exploits, suits them right.

fantaskarsef likes this.

11. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I'm not sure about that. Charging $70 more for a binned 8700K is not something I would call "nice" ("exploitative" is more like it). The giveaway is just a symbolic gesture.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I think you misunderstood me - the gesture itself is the nice thing, not the product. I think the product is incredibly stupid and if it weren't for this giveaway I'd say the purpose of its existence was so Intel could mooch off their nostalgic hardcore fans.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  13. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well you are right, it's a nice gesture. But it's easy to be generous with peanuts...

Sure they are giving away 8k CPUs... don't forget how long they have made more than enough money with selling millions of CPUs? They already earned that money for the CPUs, probably even from those 8k "winners" themselves, over the years, buying two or three CPUs from Intel. So actually, to them, it merely costs shipping and creates PR value. They do NOTHING for free, they already have the money they now spend, made off of those people that want one of those CPUs in the first place.

14. blppt

blppt Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 64 Watercooled
    "Any people living in eligible countries who noticed the sweepstakes in time?"

But why? Its not like Intel is giving away a whole system, just a CPU, and a gaming oriented one at that. And the people who tend to be interested in (or even know about) this type of limited-edition (extra single thread performance) CPU are people who put an emphasis on gaming performance.