Steam client to terminate Windows XP and Vista support

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Sixtyfps

Sixtyfps Master Guru

GPU:
    Tuff 4080 non OC
    Its time to upgrade LOL

3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    What about games that don't support W7 and higher and run best on XP? If you want to play some old games on your retro (or retro-ish) machine, you're out of luck suddenly, even though you bought them for the old OS?

IMO, this is ridiculous. I bought this game, for Windows XP, and if you won't give me access to the game I bought for the OS I bought it for, then you either come up with a way to make that happen, or give me back my money. Yes, even 10 years later.

"Not even supported by Microsoft so why should we support it" my ass. The Sega Genesis isn't supported anymore. I still want to play the games I bought on it. MS-DOS isn't supported anymore. Guess what, I still want to play my DOS games on my retro PC. Same for Windows XP.

Bah. Another reason to try and get games from GoG as much as possible. You can always download the games there regardless of the OS you're using.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    fOrTy_7 likes this.
  4. ubercake

ubercake Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC Blk
    I lost a lot of respect for Valve/Steam as a company/store once the school shooter game appeared in the Steam store.
    They yanked the game only after public outrage, but if their answer is to now take a hands off approach, they just lost a loyal customer.

fOrTy_7 likes this.

5. BD2015

BD2015 Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 1080 Ti x2
    I have no idea what game you're talking about, but I totally get behind their decision to ban only games in certain countries if they violate laws of those countries.
    Who are you or who are they to decide what others could or couldn't play?

schmidtbag, rflair and vonSternberg like this.
  6. fOrTy_7

fOrTy_7 Guest

GPU:
    N/A
    Ugh... new features. What could that be? An updated game store webpage, more tweaks to reviews, more useless steaming, big screen improvements?

How about fixing/ adding needed things for once? High DPI scalling for non-Windows 10 OSes. Updating community forums back-end. Theirs' forum engine is like from 1999.

Anyway, I hope this won't brake old games that need to run in Windows XP or Vista compatibility mode.

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Lol, like what? Who cares? Postal anyone? There are many great games where you kill kids or do "unspeakable" things.

To topic:
    XP is quite unnecessary system today, except if used for obsolete software.
    Vista should have burned long time ago.

Win 7 is best common sense system. Not intrusive. But Win 10 even with all tracking, forced advertisement, applications which can't be removed, ...is still very advanced OS.
    And for games and gaming platform, move away from XP/Vista... It would be pretty stupid to blame them as that is actually smart move.

schmidtbag and Octopuss like this.
  8. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Hey do you not ever see the news ?????????????? This year along there been 30 school shootings and wonder why that put end to that game.

9. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Whatever their reason, they follow the tech trends, and their biggest market share is Windows-based games, and MS is pushing for the upgrade. I can understand this, after all, Valve is a company, and their goal is to sell a service or games, whatever.
    But as @RealNC said, GOG is becoming my home and little by little I tend to favor DRM-free games and older OS support. If somehow, GOG will have their Galaxy client for Linux, well then I will kiss Valve bye-bye.

10. Brit90

Brit90 Member Guru

GPU:
    R390X 8GB
    I would think this is a bit of a nightmare for potential problems.
    If you have an old computer and you are happy enough playing games on the old machine, if steam stops working, maybe people won't know how to load up their game without steam.
    If steam doesn't work any more, then you could potentially be taking away someone's entire game collection.
    Will be interesting

11. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    How do fig that when Steam is all ready on Linux

12. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Valid point @SHS and I give credit to Valve for having a Linux client. They pushed all they can in open- source territory and they are great for this.
    Yes, they are and I am thankful for that. But I want a DRM-free gaming platform if is it possible.
    I can dream, right?

13. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    The Steam client uses Google Chrome? Now I understand why the store pages keep freezing the client, making checking out games so annoying.

14. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    Its not good for retro gaming with physical or virtual machine, here im still using XP, but for casual players it doesnt mean anything.

15. ubercake

ubercake Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC Blk
    So you think because the reality exists, it's ok to put into a game and that's fine. But if a store decides its worth selling, I'd treat it like any other store promoting this type of good or service. I wouldn't go into it.

16. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    I have no idea if it uses it now, but it i will, it will be moved to a more modern electron app.

Skype, spotify, visual studio code, atom editor, there are many electron apps and many people are switching, is easier to have the app running everywhere on any system, chrome continue to evolve and so will your app.

I understand their move, but i also understand that they should at least mass update all the game that needs windows XP to run, to run in something we do not care what it is, but run.

Or at leas release a last version of the client that does not require updating and runs on windows xp for those game legally bought.

17. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    I think a company should obey the law of the country it operates in.
    Is respect.
    Internet is not the land of nowhere where everyone can do what he want, if your country prohibits a game, there is a problem, and is not steam that have to solve it.
    Either people livinging in the country or moving from it.

18. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Will Valve issue refunds to everyone that owns games that require XP or Vista to run correctly?

19. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pretty sure all clients use Chrome in some form or the other.

Gog has the benefit of galaxy not being mandatory and you can download games from their site. Steam should let the client be in small mode only for XP users. They can always purchase games from the website.

20. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I'm sure Steam/Valve will keep their client running in some limited fashion for XP users. Also I felt that Steam should have done this a while ago but I give them credit for keeping it running on Older OSes below Windows 7.

Gog has the best of both worlds having an Client like Steam that is optional and using it to download and install the games and then playing said games without the use of it.