Intel 8 core Coffee Lake To be released in this fall

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    So you just picked up that six-core Core i7 8086K? Well, Intel will release their 8-core mainstream part in the Fall, the processor will be based on Coffee Lake, meaning a new SKU with two more cores....

Intel 8 core Coffee Lake To be released in this fall

2. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    So they release the "anniversary" 8086K priced $75 above the 8700k's current one just to prepare the masses for the 8-core CL's pricing? lol

Intel's meeting: "People! Because of those you know who, we had to lower our 8700K prices and we are losing margins! Find a solution to get them back up again!"
    Staff: "Sir, you gonna love this here! It's called 8700K 8086K! Same thing, newer and even higher msrp than the first one!"
    Boss: "What's your name son?"
    Staff: "Employee, sir"

Can't wait to see what price Intel would put on it.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    HitokiriX, Aura89, Fox2232 and 2 others like this.
  3. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    This could be the best gaming CPU ever - as it's based on the same architecture as the 8700K, ring bus rather than the mesh of the 10,12,etc core Intel CPUs. But, the caveat to that is only if it can hit the same frequencies as the 8700K, then it would be the best gaming CPU, otherwise 8700K with 6 cores at higher frequency would be better for most games.

4. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    This 8 core processor will be based on same architecture and 14nm technology, combined with toothpaste will result in a very hot processor which can boost 1 core to 4.7 (or whatever they will set for it).
    Don't forget the extortion prices they will most likely ask for it, and potentially once again they will make it incompatible with the current socket.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    sverek likes this.

5. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    No news of Cannon Lake? So Intel just got Coffee Lake until release of Ice Lake? That's weak.

Ice Lake better deliver on price and performance in 2019 with 10nm node, otherwise it might get crashed by Zen2.

6. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    $500 bucks is my guess or $499.99 To make it look better haha.

7. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Ah, the smell of competition!
    Intel seeing people prefer Ryzen productivity over core speed is making them release "new" things. In truth, they could have done this years ago but had no reason to not milk customers.
    Unfortunately for them, price is always a consideration. Most people buying ryzen wouldn't buy overpriced Intel anyway.

8. BigMaMaInHouse

BigMaMaInHouse Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1080Ti AMP Ex
    New MB's coming?

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Cannon lake is now mobile only.

Next gen desktop will yes be Icelake, that true next gen cpu, moving away from sandy bridge core roots..

Imo icelake will be the only interesting cpu from intel.. so its either win or bust.

From what I saw so far it should be pretty good,.

10. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Interesting. Is there any worthy read? Wiki page is pretty empty.

11. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    Tnx but no tnx.
    Anyone who needs an 8-core gets an 2700K or perhaps saves a bit for new TR's.

Too little too late Intel.

12. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Guest

GPU:
    DECIDING
    they are restricted to Eskimos only - something to do with the heat i hear :D

13. ubercake

ubercake Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC Blk
    I think it's pretty exciting that AMD stimulated this kind of competition in the CPU market. Both companies are releasing better products less than every year now. Better for the consumer all the way around.

nz3777 likes this.
  14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    If someone with stake in intel reads this thread and sees this sentiment...

What kind of exquisite nightmares that person must have? You guys are so cruel :D

Koniakki likes this.
  15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I saw some leaks once at tweaktown? Basically saying it will move from this old x86 seen since Sandy bridge (coffee lake and cannon lake is still old arch), to something completely new, also with new instructions, ditching old and what not.

Overall I got the impression it would be a real game changer.

nz3777 likes this.

16. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I'd think they would have other things to worry about. In consumer markets they're holding their own, but they're about to get crushed in HEDT and servers. ;)

nz3777 likes this.
  17. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    I think this will be the world's first:

Intel 8C and up: only sold in alaska and arctic circle.

nz3777 and HitokiriX like this.
  18. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    For the sake of the consumer us I think it will be better if Amd took the lead in order to dictate prices on the cpu market. Intel is still on some of its old habbits but things are quickly changing! I had both companys and believe they can co-exist.

19. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I'm sure IceLake's design is solid. What seems most worrisome is Intel's state of 10nm. Even if they get decent IPC improvements from IceLake's new design, if the 10nm process has issues hitting higher frequencies it may all be a mute point. Right now AMD is using GloFlos 14nm process that was never meant for 4Ghz(It had a 3Ghz target when they initially designed it) and it holds Ryzen back a lot when compared to Intel. IBM designed the new 7nm process with 5Ghz in mind so I fully expect AMD's Zen 2 to scale up to 5Ghz at least in 8 cores or less.

I for one hope Intel stumbles a bit longer so AMD can grab a decent chunk of the market with Zen 2. The innovation we are seeing now is nothing compared to how it would look if Intel and AMD were similar sized companies taking market share back and forth.

I would also be thrilled if Intel really pushes into the dedicated GPU market in 2020 as they mentioned but with a very serious R&D budget so they are competitive with GPU performance and drivers. Having three competitors should get the GPU innovation back and prices down again.

It's a fun time to be into hardware after a long lul.

20. Warrax

Warrax Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti
    Intel is being predictable.