Just upgraded ... opinions please

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by TyrantofJustice, May 24, 2018.

1. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I have the EKWB Predator 240 in push pull config

-Tj- likes this.
  2. DAW40

DAW40 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    I agree, pointless sidegrade. You will notice no speed improvement. But if you do benchmarks youll get higher scores. But who cares about benchmarks anyways. If you wanted a real upgrade you should have dropped the bomb and bought the extreme series i9 79xx. thx

3. DAW40

DAW40 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    Can I ask what your idle temps are and full load temps. thx

4. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    lowest temp on all cores in a 70F to 75F room is 27C-29C across all cores.... idle currently is 33C-36C... load goes highest 85C in intel burn test and prime95..

5. DAW40

DAW40 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    If Im not mistaken 100c is the limit where the CPU will shut down. Idle temps seem normal. But don't forget usually your not gonna stress the entire CPU and its cores and HT. So that 85c is really like 60's and what not.

6. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    91C on VRM won't shut PC down. It's a perfectly safe operating temperature. I wouldn't be happy with it, but it's safe. Also, VRM temps are often easily improved with some decent airflow over the VRM heatsinks. Easy fix.

7. DAW40

DAW40 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    Wow you got balls metagamer. 90c will degrade the CPU don't you think ?

8. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    after upping to 4.9 the vrm can hit 117c which makes me very uncomfortable ... so i am trying my hand at the gaming 5 board as i said and already made my cash back on this one... they still claim that the 117c is within spec but i just do not like it.

and i am starting to kinda regret this sidegrade but this will have to last me awhile at least 3 to 4 years. cpu and mobo that is ... not the gpu because that will be upgraded next

9. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    My VRM don't run that hot. That being said, 90C on the VRM is not going to kill anything.

10. DAW40

DAW40 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    Im cool with a 10 year distance upgrade except for video card as you said. Games take up like 20 percent of CPU power and in 3 years it will be the same, maybe 30 percent usage on your 8700K. Why you need to upgrade I don't know. Your not going to see a difference. I play Unreal Tournament Alpha and it takes 25 percent CPU power ; Once that 25 percent becomes a 100 percent then its time to upgrade. Also my Sonar Platinum DAW runs flawlessly; Big project it uses like half the CPU power. So until it reaches 100 percent and games reach 100 percent Im cool.

11. DAW40

DAW40 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    Your rig is going to blow up my friend, maybe not now, but soon. 117c is unacceptable to me IMO.

12. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    only under extreme strss test does the board touch 117c.. look up reviews .. its normal for these boards .. but to me unacceptable

13. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    achived same OC on lower volts and some other bios tweaks and i got 4 c less load temps .. which is fine by me.

14. DAW40

DAW40 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    Nice, that part is always tricky trying to see how low you can go with voltage and have it be stable. good job

15. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Ok the Gaming ultra motherboard from Gigabyte had a faulty DVI port which i needed for my monitor because I have an old Qnix that over clocks and only has a DVI port and since my GPU started acting up (which I sent in for RMA because i have 1 year left on the warranty) so the store let me bring the board back even after the date it is no longer returnable and they only had the Gigabyte Gaming 7 in stock so they gave me a refund for the gaming ultra and took the promotional 30 buck off the gaming 7 and i paid a 55 dollar difference and even based of Hilberts review this is an amazing board... got my overclock on at even lower votlages and no bad VRM temps.
    Only bad thing is this board only has HDMI and Display port and no DVI so I am still on my TV .. but its ok for web surfing .. music .. shows .. movies etc.

16. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    \
    Here is the almost final product minus the GPU and some new led strips and fans for rad

[​IMG]

17. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Hillarious, how this is not distracting you during gaming is beyond me.

18. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
  19. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Congrats on the upgrade! If I were you return that board and get urself something like really high-end thats known to be a good overclocker ect...I can only point-out the ones I saw at Microcenter Asus Rog or possibly Msi M7?
    In any case you can always ghetto rig the giga board (add a fan to vrm) and see if that helps out with temps/performance.
    Microcenter has always been cool with returning/exchanging stuff.

:)

20. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Irsh likes this.