Review: ASRock X470 Taichi

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    ASRock is back in da house, this time with the X470 Taichi . A motherboard that positions itself in the high-end range of X470, nicely built motherboard really and good looking is what it screams. Rea...

Review: ASRock X470 Taichi

fantaskarsef likes this.
  2. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    Motherboard looks good. Is it worth to pay few more euros for ultimate version of this motherboard or better stick to "normal" version? I'm planning to buy this mobo soon in bundle with 2700x and 2x16GB 3200MHz ddr4. You recommend (looks almost like advertising :p ) particular kit from g.skill but how in reality now looks memory compatibility for ryzen+? Should i be fine with any 16GB 3200MHz stick or should i strictly follow asrock's supported memory sticks list? I remember first generation of ryzens was picky about ram.

3. jdc2389

jdc2389 Guest

GPU:
    980ti 1408/3650
    Come on man.. this is a top of the line board you should at least use better cooling to show off the board and what you could achieve.

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    CPU Voltage is yet another limitation. Even for me 1.425V is as far as I would go. I care little that automatic voltage from XFR2 goes over 1.5V.

5. Biffo

Biffo Active Member

GPU:
    ati
    Will this mobo be compatible with the 7nm chip?

6. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    His job is to review and give objective analysis and perspective. Not to give special treatment to help promote products. He used the same setup for the last x470 review that he did.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/gigabyte-x470-aorus-ultra-gaming-review,3.html

7. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    And this is why we love Hilbert and GURU3D so much. This is the only site I come too for 99% of the computer stuff. If its not on here, Ill slum it somewhere else if I have too.

8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Thanks for the review Hilbert.

If anybody is interested, I can say that I think ASrock customer support is pretty good:
    I bought a AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac board for my HTPC build, together with a 2400G. Turns out the stock BIOS (3.10) does not support the CPU right away, so you either need a Ryzen1 or old APU for socket AM4 to flash the BIOS versions (which worked fine with an A6-9500 CPU, 2 flashes via the necessary 3.60 bridge firmware you need to flash first).
    What ASrock customer service (seated in the Netherlands apparently) told me after I filled out their online was that I received a messege after 1.5 work days that they'd send me a new BIOS chip with the latest firmware to exchange (BIOS chip is just socketed), free of charge.
    It's not here yet but what could you ask more of a manufacturer to send you the new BIOS without cost?

NesteaZen likes this.
  9. jdc2389

jdc2389 Guest

GPU:
    980ti 1408/3650
    I'd hardly call better cooling than the stock cooler on the 2700x OC'd special treatment, those temps are nasty but yeah the vrms are a lot colder than that gigabyte.

10. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070
    The whole point is its stock.
    The prices on these newer boards are getting ridiculous though

11. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    No they are not. These boards have more features then $500 board from 4-5 years ago.

Board is $139. How is that ridiculous?

12. jdc2389

jdc2389 Guest

GPU:
    980ti 1408/3650
    [​IMG]

maikai likes this.
  13. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070
    Order me one with your insider prices please

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Board price is Good, it costs about same as did Athlon XP board I had around year 2000.
    Inflation vs. features. Board prices are good. My original plan for 2700X system was to get this exact board. But they were not available at 2700X launch.
    It even has upper M.2 slot above GPU, so heat is not blocked by it. Nor is GPU blowing hot air on your speedy SSD.

15. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    To me the X470 Taichi is over price one reason for this is all that dumb RGB junk and on board Wireless which any real game would never used to min motherboard it all about the fancy bling which I have no use for

16. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    As I just found an old invoice from 2011, when a low end socket 1366 (Intel's enthusiast platform) board from Asus cost me 181€... just sayin' :D

maikai likes this.
  17. Yakk

Yakk Guest

GPU:
    Graphics card
    Good review!

I finished a 2700x build recently with Taichi x470 (regular) and it was smooth building. Memory recognition is a lot easier than before, memory recognized & posted to 3200 CAS 14 on first try. Subtle RGB accents which can just be turned off. VRMs stay cool running under 24/7 80%-100% CPU utilization (it better with this setup!).

As mentioned, main M.2 stays cooler above GPU instead of cooking under it.

The AC Wi-Fi signal is good, albeit slower due to Asrock trying to save a few cents on the cheaper adapter.

Overall good, polished board, price is okay for a top end board of this class IMO.

18. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070
    Just because you purchased something over priced before, does not mean its a good idea to do it again. What features exactly are we talking about that make it worth $100 more than any other version of a x470 chipset based board? Not a single thing that's what. I get it, things have always been over priced, doesn't mean that just because its been a thing, that its a good thing. I too have spent way more on motherboards then they were worth and exactly 1 year later I regretted it as practically everything on it was out dated and there were better boards for cheaper prices. Nothing on some of these boards justify the premium price markup, and I'm not only talking about this board in particular but all over priced motherboards in general. There is literally zero advantage to any of this extra nothingness which is always limited by the chipset and processor anyway. Its crazy how my opinion is getting blown out of proportion and met with such opposition, just move on. Also no one commented to the author of the review himself and I will quote here "The more I test and write about X470 though, the more the cheaper sub 150 USD/EURO board appeal to me. Really, it's pretty much all the same in baseline and tweaking performance as the defining component for your tweaking, is the processor and memory, and you can spot X470 boards at 139 USD/EURO already. So value wise this might not be the best call to make, and that is the brutal truth." But I have to explain my opinion? Move along

19. BigMaMaInHouse

BigMaMaInHouse Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1080Ti AMP Ex
    I don't know if to buy those MB's @ ~200$ or just to buy cheap B350 with 4 dimm slots, normal VRM heatsink with Optical audio out (have DAC) + 2700X .
    All core turbo clock is great, no real reason to manual OC, and if SLI/CF not needed then the B350 under 100$ can give you also option for tweaking, Only problem I see is the Bios update, this is main reason to buy x470 if you can't update the B350, Pluse we need more x470 ITX babys :).
    P.S: It's not that x470 are bad, it's just that AMD made B350 to be too good for the price :).

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018