-----

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Worther, Apr 26, 2018.

?

What, in your opinion, is really the culprit?

1. Hardware (write in the comments below)

2. Software (write in the comments below)

3. Games themselves

4. NVIDIA Driver

5. Windows OS

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    It is not my rig we are talking about here. Worther should research DPC times on his rig.
    Any device drivers could introduce big DPC times.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  2. DAW40

DAW40 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    Yes, that is why I asked what drivers and devices you using. :)

3. DAW40

DAW40 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    I never had DPC issues even with my P2B or Core 2 Quad ... lol

4. Ancymon

Ancymon Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Ok, after some more investigation... Frametime spikes / freezes / fps drops r related to Shader Cache option.

Compiling shaders at real time cause it. Shader Cache set to "on" eliminate / reduce it [of course, to be clear for... less experienced users ; ) it works only "after", its just a type of some "workaround"]. Now u can ask NV about better optimization when shaders need to be compiled at real time.

Conclusion nr 1: looks like everything "works as intended".

Conclusion nr 2: what more experienced users think about it?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018

5. Ancymon

Ancymon Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070
  6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    This option is not workaround. Shader cache works as every cache does: when game asks to compile shader (in real time) drivers look in file cache and if compiled shader is already there no compilation is needed. But obviously when game utilizes a shader for the first time ever, shader should be compiled, and after that drivers save it to file cache. NV can`t optimize this process better. Games can use shaders in a number of ways, like compiling all shaders needed for current level while level is loaded, or compiling shaders one by one only when they are needed in game. But NV can`t do anything about that.

7. DAW40

DAW40 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    Man Worther you really went out of your way with your post. I feel bad for you my friend. You have a sick CPU a sick Video card and this happens to you.. Sucks, your in a hole right now but there is a way out. I think the video card might need a RMA. I don't believe it is the OS now because youve tried Winblows 7 and Winblows 10 same thing. I doubt its the driver. The AMD card worked fine is because once again I think it's your video card. Only way as Guru's suggested is to try the video card on another computer and see what happens. good luck

8. Worther

Worther Member

GPU:
    some
    Hi community,

How are you there with your rig? Any issues in games (frame time spikes, FPS drops, stuttering)? Any improvements in PUBG performance?

Well, I want to ask you something about 'msconfig' OS Settings:
    1. Should I set maximum amount of CPUs (physical & logical)? AFAIK with default settings (unchecked "Number of processors:" field) Windows try to use maximum possible amount of processors, but will I improve performance (at least barely) with manual "12 CPUs" setting?
    2. Especially, should I enable PCI Lock (disabled by default) in BOOT Advanced Options? I found some unconfirmed info on the Internet that somebody had CPU frequency misalignment (e.g. 2.28 GHz instead of default basic 2.3 GHz). Any helpful advices here?

Screenshot: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fR1LXzbG1CvcR8iHcyPBlRiUPbIrMFmh

Thank you for attention!

9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  10. Worther

Worther Member

GPU:
    some
    1. Have already saw this. But why is this disabled by default when it should help with preserving BIOS settings? Should I enable it?
    2. This's pretty clear that I can decrease the number of CPUs. But should I check it to "Use 12 processors"? Or default Unchecked setting is equal to modified "12 processors" setting?

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    All these settings are for debug and/or troubleshooting only.
    Of course default Unchecked setting is equal to modified "12 processors" setting.
    And you don`t need to preserve BIOS settings because modern Windows is good at managing resources (IRQs, memory ranges, input-output ports and all).

12. Scorpio_ASC

Scorpio_ASC Member

GPU:
    1080ti
    I see you got a G-sync monitor, try a windows version before 1703 (I think), I just installed the LTSB Version from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-10-enterprise.
    You can also try setting the refreshrate to 120, then limit the fps with rivatuner to 117.
    Just thinking that could be the culprit since it worked with an AMD card thus g-sync wasnt active.

13. Sabbath

Sabbath Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Turn off XMP, & re-boot.

14. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    He already did that.

15. Worther

Worther Member

GPU:
    some
    I have already did this "tweak". Unfortunately, no positive changes except of performance loss in RAM-demand games.

I've finally received long awaited "deep tech" reply from NVIDIA support:
    Hello [customer_name],
    I am sorry for not providing an update. Our driver team is still working on this but the fix is targeted for now with our next driver branch. For now I suggest disabling power monitoring when gaming to avoid FPS drops/stutter.

Best Regards,
    Manuel
    NVIDIA Customer Care
    NVIDIA Knowledge Base - http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/list
    NVIDIA GeForce Community Forums - https://forums.geforce.com
    NVIDIA Find Us Online - http://www.nvidia.com/object/nv_fuo.html

cryohellinc likes this.

16. Worther

Worther Member

GPU:
    some
    Hi, man!

1.Do you know something about TW3 stuttering issue is absolutely the same on RTX 2080 Ti as stuttering on 1080 Ti? Or are there any key differences/improvements with 2080 Ti?
    2. What about PUBG? Some improvements with 2080 Ti?
    3. Did you try Intelligent standby list cleaner (ISLC)
    I saw a bunch of people swearing that ISLC fixed all the stuttering. I don't know is that a truth but will try later.
    4. Did you try new Win10 1809 build? Any advantages over older 1803?
    5. What about Win10 LTSB 1607 or LTSC 1809?

Thank you for the info!

17. arel77

arel77 Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 EVGA
    fresh nvidia drivers , stand by mem cleaner , no telemntary , no pre fetch ,super fetch windows search , use nvidia driver slimmer keep core files . windows update sharing off , since doing these windows 1809 runs like a dream here