Windows 8 or 10 Stuttering Fix

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by X7007, Jun 5, 2018.

1. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    I think I figure the stuttering issue for everyone with Intel CPU.
    Other then that if there are still issues it could be other software or other driver conflict. not updated or wrong Driver version which I cannot foresee or know if it specific to your computer. Could be also Bios setting or anything else. but this fixed my Stuttering on Both my Desktop I7 3770K P8Z77-V motherboard , also my Laptop G751JT Series 8 Motherboard , also for my friend Laptop G702VS Laptop I7-6800HK Cpu which is where I did all the tests.

But it's guaranteed this devices are causing stuttering.

You need Software from Microsoft

Microsoft Autoruns.exe
    From here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns
    Or here https://filehippo.com/download_autoruns/

Programs you need to go to Device Manager and Show Hidden Devices go to SYSTEM DEVICES and Uninstall the WDT device including the Driver in the box selection.
    [​IMG]

THIS ONE NEED TO BE REMOVED
    There are 3 conflicting drivers on the new intel motherboards and 2 on the old ones.
    1. Intel Watchdog Timer Driver Intel WDT ( This usually installed from windows update or Intel Chipset Software or Intel XTU _Xtreme Tuning Utitliy_ )
    ( ! Picture was taken from the internet just look for the Intel WDT ! )
    [​IMG]

THIS ONE NEEDED TO BE UPDATED FROM YOUR MOTHERBOARD DRIVERS OR OTHER SITE
    http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/MO...6-for-Windows-10-Creators-Update-64-bit.shtml

2. Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework
    !Now if you have the drivers installed properly and updated this shouldn't be on a section of it's own . Those Devices installed should be on System Devices in the Device Manager!
    This is where it shouldn't be because of driver not updated usually ( Driver Version 8.0, 8.1, 8.2 )

[​IMG]

This is where it should be ( Driver Version 8.3 )
    [​IMG]

THIS ONE NEEDED TO BE UPDATED OR ROLLBACK TO YOUR MOTHERBOARD SPECIFIC DRIVERS
    3.Intel® Management Engine Consumer Driver (IMEI)
    This is a tricky one. for every motherboard there is specific firmware that installed, every motherboard will be different usually firmware update won't update this as you usually need to update it alone which is dangerous and hard. but we won't touch the firmware, only the driver. here the newest is not the best but specific driver for the motherboard version is the best. not sure how you can check it , usually there is a software called Intel MEInfo Tools , but there are many version of this for specific firmware and chipset and I'm not sure which one will work.

So try to get lower version from Windows Update Catalog and start from there , every time you update restart computer and check for stuttering or crashes.

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=Intel® Management Engine

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    joe187 likes this.
  2. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    This looks interesting and I'm probably going to try it out soon, but could you give some more details? Maybe use a repeatable section in a game or 2 and show it with all of these things causing stutters in a frame time graph, and then show it after you've made changes to the items referenced in your post.

I'm not even quite sure what to do here. So I find the WDT and remove it, but then what do I do with the 2nd and 3rd things you talk about? Find and uninstall the dynamic platform framework stuff? Just a bit more clarification would go a long way to help some of us Guru's test it out.

3. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    Ok

I've update the post with the action you need to do for each.

I understand you want comparison, is it just time consuming when people should do it anyway because you don't need WDT anyway, it takes CPU and DPC power and to use it you need bios support to even use it, it's Intel AMT device, not needed for the normal consumer. as soon you will do that you will see half of your issues are cleared . for me Desktop / Laptop , friend laptop all the stuttering and lag / drop fps are gone as soon as I did that. for me all I needed to do is just do the IMEI and the WDT , because I don't have the Intel Dynamic Platform driver support so it's not exist .

The WDT you need to remove/uninstall if exist both from Device Manager and in Autoruns.exe Microsoft tool .

The Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework you need to update to newer version from Windows Update Catalog

the IMEI you need to update or rollback to the driver your system needed, usually you can find from your motherboard manufacturer Support Driver page , it depends on what Chipset you are using.

What more details do you need ?

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070

5. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    No, like I said, you need drivers specific to your motherboard IMEI firmware did you even read what I wrote? you don't and can't use higher version than the firmware your motherboard is using. just get from your motherboard driver support the newest for windows 10 and that's it. higher won't do nothing and just makes things worse. I know this site and if that's was an option I would have written it.

6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Where have you read that I proposed to use any versions of drivers? I just pointed to a place with big number of versions.

And "can't use higher version than the firmware your motherboard is using" is wrong. Have used newer drivers on many rigs without any issues.

7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Firmware is bios only though isn't it, I'm on 11.0.x (The last branch for x79 motherboards.) and firmware 8.x which is the last supported too and what was included in the last bios update provided.
    Thing was a pain to flash since it doesn't update from a regular bios update process but via USB stick and the flash function via a button it was easy to replace. :)

EDIT: Though I might have to look into this a bit more, MEI is at least more manageable on older boards whereas on newer systems it's more integrated and not as easy to remove or do some minimal install.

https://gist.github.com/CHEF-KOCH/af96c3a63a026b808f09497d136996df

EDIT: Third party modifications of the bios could also allow for updating to any newer 8.x firmware and I think there was a network firmware too which could also be updated in this way but I don't believe 9.x and newer are supported at all but I could very well be wrong about that. :)
    (Been a few years since that last bios update by now and MEI has changed a lot as well.)

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    x79 here too. I flashed updated MEI FW by standalone program right from Windows.
    And UEFI BIOS stuff can be utilized from Windows.

9. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Nice, that's simpler then if the installer can do both the bios and the firmware. :)

EDIT: Well certainly simpler than that process, going by that Gist article there's actually a newer 8.x firmware too probably with some security enhancements.

10. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    X79-UD3 these are the drivers + firmware installed presently :

Intel MEI Driver v11.0.6.1194
    Intel ME 8 1.5MB Firmware v8.1.70.1590

Using the ME Flash utility from a previous version, edited the config file to point to .1590 file and flashed in windows.It's recommended to power off after firmware update as that's how the board gets to set it properly, from power up.

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    x79 guys, let`s not litter the thread with MEI details of our rigs. X7007 probably meant that we can`t use any version of firmware, not the drivers.

12. Dragondale13

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    So you mean, say after a reformat, just use the default firmware that gets installed with windows?
    I've done that before on Win7 but then either Windows updates or updated Nvidia drivers will make the system unstable.
    Not sure if it'll affect Win10, I suspect it will at some point during use, as it updates constantly.

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Nvm Imei firmware.. don't bother with that or you can brick your bios, imo its not mandatory..

So the biggest issue if I understand is irst inbox driver and this watchdog and thermal monitor?

I personally never had issues with newer IMEI driver, only one time in win8.1, intel ITA fixed it for me back then.. now on win10 intel ITA is not needed anymore and can actually have negative perf.

@X7007 when you say issues, stutters. In general by all games or anything specific?

14. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    It lags everywhere but in games with fps and motion you can clearly see it, and feel it. for my friend also had dropped fps same as me exactly. I have 970m I7 4710hq, he has 1070m I7 6870HK. so it's not hardware but just the same software or drivers installed. we don't need wdt because you need the bios enabled setting to really use it, using it just because causing this issues. every driver installed which shouldn't be will cause issues eventually, visible or not.

And I meant by not using higher Imei driver for your specific firmware you must have it identical. It's the same as IRST drivers, you can see in winraid he clearly recommend not to use 14 15 16 drivers for older chipset even when he modified it.

Just do it, you don't need the wdt 100%. and you need to update the Intel Thermal. I don't trust windows with detecting drivers

15. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    No. MEI firmware is placed in BIOS. This firmware can be updated to latest proper version, but operation is risky and worth a try only if current version of MEI firmware gives a troubles.
    As for MEI drivers you can install newer version (in quite wide range). IIRC, the thread I pointed contains info about drivers suitable for your specific MEI firmware. As always newer versions of drivers could contain bug fixes, but also could contain new bugs.

16. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    X7007 posted a screenshot of Autoruns utility taken from Internet and typed a warning: ! Picture was taken from the internet just look for the Intel WDT ! - so he obviously has not meant IRST drivers.

-Tj- likes this.
  17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Btw, I suspect that on some rigs MEI device can be disabled in Device manager.

18. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    I get zero stuttering on my ROG laptop with 7700HQ and 1060.

All these steps are what you call placebo.

My watchdog timer driver is set to manual.
    All latest drivers and firmware.

Updating me firmware is very simple as well.

Lastly, there are NO specific drivers for motherboards.
    They all utilize generic drivers from intel.

Latest driver is the greatest here.

Latest will be on winraid and a full list of latest firmware.

WareTernal likes this.
  19. Dragondale13

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Ok so the bios carries the ME firmware and a user is allowed to update it, cool.
    I'm still sticking to his recommendation though : Users of 7 & 6-series Ivy/Sandy Bridge desktop/mobile systems (ME 7 - 8), must use the latest v11.0 drivers instead.

20. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Correct; the last driver to support up to 7 series is Intel MEI Driver v11.0.5.1189