Intel launches the first 5.0 GHz CPU: Core i7-8086K Kinda Silent

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    With Intel’s 50th anniversary next month, it’s a perfect time to celebrate one of the most important technologies of Intel’s legacy: the PC. In a mile-long press release ...

Intel launches the first 5.0 GHz CPU: Core i7-8086K

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    nz3777 likes this.
  2. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Maybe they should let Porsche retailers do their marketing, now those guys are stuck to selling inventory for a while LOL...just $4,999 for the special Intel limited edition first ever 5.0 GHz CPU with advanced power saving capability, $2,999k extra for the fan powered, multi-fin, all metal cooler, another $1499 if you want a specially designed limited edition x86 edition Intel logo on the cooler, and only $499.99 more if you want it in 1969 style red font...and all that littered with LIMITED EDITION, LIMITED EDITION in the glossy, full color, 25 page, quality paper brochure. Motherboard, RAM, casing, hard drive, display, input devices and operating system sold separately by third part vendors.

schmidtbag and nz3777 like this.
  3. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Topped by Anniversary Toothpaste.

chispy and Dragam1337 like this.
  4. Tomi832

Tomi832 Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 Gaming
    I love it that they state that the 8086K is the first CPU to reach a turbo clock of 5 GHz...the FX 9590 did 5 years ago (with I think an all-core boost while here it's only single core...though maybe it's single core boost with the 9590 too).

5. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Even at 5ghz, it was nothing special. AMD in desperation had to bump up clocks to be on par with Intels lesser CPUs. Basically an OC'd chip out of the box with no further headroom. Not to mention its horrendous power draw.

6. SSD_PRO

SSD_PRO Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    This one is actually going on sale to consumers at launch. The AMD attempt was system builders only then eventually firesale to consumers thanks to the horrid performance, high temps, and short lifespan.

7. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Cool and all but $450 usd for a 6/12 cpu? The average person would just buy Ryzen 5 1600 for $159.99. They clock alot less but paying 5 times the amount i guess its cool for rich folks that have money.

jura11 and chispy like this.
  8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Kind of an interesting win-win position Intel is in. By lying about reaching 5GHz first, you get the following outcomes:
    A. People will take their word for it and ooh and aah over it.
    B. People will point out AMD actually reached 5GHz first, which actually draws negative attention to AMD since the whole FX-9000 series were awful CPUs.
    So even though Intel is doing something bad here, they're going to benefit anyway.

nz3777 likes this.
  9. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Far from the first CPU with a 5 GHz core clock. That's blatant false advertising!

RavenMaster likes this.
  10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Didnt read the entire thing. So Intel lied, screw them and their dishonest marketing. The final product and how it performs in real world is only arbiter to end users. Neither Intel nor AMD will impress me in reaching 5ghz, as I see that as a potentially sneaky way to trick buyers into going for something which they may be able to do themselves thru overclocking. Even more disgusting is if they wring out every last mhz out of it so there is zero headroom left, essentially doing the enthusiasts work for them, OC'ing chips to the max.

Not saying that is what Intel did with that chip, but if there is no more OC headroom left, I will gladly spit in their face. There may be a market for lazy enthusiasts who dont care about OC'ing and power draw, fine, let them go for it. But for many enthusiasts I suspect, they may feel cheated with zero headroom left and being charged a premium for something they could have done themselves on a lower mhz CPU. Only in depth review of the chip will reveal the nature of the beast. An advertized 5ghz chip will only impress me if theres more for enthusiasts to wring out of it.

11. floppyedonkey

floppyedonkey Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980Ti GAMING 6G
    I don't see this as a win for Intel at all, they had no choice to catch up on consumer core offerings.

It is an over pay to win model.

With the AMD ThreadRipper in the position it is in, a consumer $3-8K CPU by Intel is silly. ThreadRipper v2 is going to be the win for 2018 or Ryzen 2800X being launched/announced could excite the market, especially once Intel has to announce the dreadful truths around what the specs end up being for the 28 core money pit they announced.

12. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Better come with Spectre.

13. pimpineasy

pimpineasy Guest

GPU:
    1050ti/Rx570
    Cant you just oc to 5ghz? hah. well now we know intel single core will improve that much more as it will prob become standard for one of their turbo boost revisions. good for everyone interested in computation. But by zen 2 amd is already hitting 5ghz as well although i think they are still not close enough in memory speed. will see when the bench drop.

14. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    It'd be nice if it wasn't 400 procreating dollars US, and was actually higher binned than a standard 8700K... and didn't come with Spectre.

15. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Hmmz if these were guaranteed "premium" 8700K samples with better TIM I might actually be interested.

16. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    Well technically Intel never sad they the first cpu in the world to reach 5Ghz. They can turn around and say it’s “their” first 5Ghz cpu ever.... Aaaah you all can see what they do there... Lol! I’m reading this forum now and see how people bash the AMD FX cpus for being a heavily over locked CPU @ 5Ghz... At the same time they justify Intel for doing exactly the same with their 8700K and just bump the clocks????

17. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Well, it looks like a collector CPU. I can't blame Intel for whatever price or performance they put into this CPU.

It's obviously not for mere consumers. People who buy this CPU, might as well just put it on showcase, instead of actually using it.

18. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    No? The article clearly states:
    "In honor of that, we revealed the limited edition 8th Gen Intel® CoreTM i7-8086K processor, the first-ever CPU with a 5.0GHz turbo frequency."
    The caveat in that sentence is "turbo frequency", but that's still a false statement.
    "Heavily overclocked" is relative. When you OC a product to the point where it warrants an AIO cooler to come packaged with it, you've gone too far. The 8086K isn't heavily overclocked, because the 5GHz is the max turbo speed and the CPU could easily run on air cooling. What AMD did with the FX-9000 series was a desperate way to get rid of old product. What Intel made is nothing more than an overpriced novelty.
    I for one am not justifying either of the products - they're both stupid. AMD's was an act of desperation and wasn't appealing at all, meanwhile Intel's is inaccurately advertised, heavily overpriced, and just a little dopey.

19. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Hmmm, Intel actually giving them out:
    https://game.intel.com/8086sweepstakes/

Might be worth trying your out?

target regions:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  20. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Honestly I am more jellious then anything would Love to have this cpu,I enjoy collecting anything limited edition but at $450 they have em listed at Microcenter I just cannot afford it at the moment. To my understanding Intel is launching 8086 of them Only so this is for sure a collectors peace!
    Maybe buy 10 of them then ask double the price in a few years (new in box) theres always going to be a market for this kind of stuff .