Battlefield V Details

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    A Battlefield V Deep-Dive on the Battlefield Website takes a detailed look at gameplay details in Battlefield V, the upcoming installment in the Battlefield series of military shooters. Here's the in...

Battlefield V Details

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    So... this does not mean no spread, I hope? I mean we're not in Star Wars Battlefront...

3. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Hey its like reverse marketing, they actually give you Reasons not to play it. Fantastic approach to save your potential customers money.

Dragam1337 and fantaskarsef like this.
  4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    If they do it in real world way, I am fine with it, I hate random spread. It does not have to be CS 1.6 style.
    But in most of games, you have crosshair, movement speed of character and crouch vs standing. Those are elements dictating spread of bullets around crosshair.
    That's Most Stupid thing, one can think of!

Because then you have gun with laser pointer at same time and as you move that laser pointer points in totally different place than your crosshair, but bullets do not go in direction of laser which is apparently calibrated to point accurately where bullets should go. No, they still go to crosshair. How stupid those developers are to do such implementation?

So, if there is weapon swinging as player moves, and crosshair or laser pointer does swing in space to place where bullets will go, I am all IN!!!

5. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    It gets better every week.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  6. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Bullet spread is not stupid but realistic. That's the question, are they aiming for the arcade feeling of not having to do anything but point and click ("if it's red it's dead!!1!"), or are they trying to get you to know your weapon recoil, spread pattern, etc.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  7. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Not to worry, one week after launch the hackers will sort out any issues with aiming. lol

fantaskarsef likes this.
  8. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    How can there be a focus on immersion if literally everything about that time is wrong ? I mean sure, grass moving and dirt splashes are neat (if you notice them in the action), but having wrong uniforms, wrong weapons and amputees serving on the front lines as regulars has significantly higher impact on immersion than anything they can do with a few effects.

That aiming is just another thing, I hope that they mean that a weapon will have spread pattern based on the things you do, like running or using bipod, and that iron-sights will always point to where you will shoot.

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Gun shoots towards point where laser dot is at moment, you pull trigger. You can shoot 200 rounds, and as long as barrel (laser) is aiming at same spot, hole will be pretty tiny and affected mostly by wind.
    Recoil is real, but that moves laser dot too. Therefore bullet should always go towards laser dot as laser beam is parallel w/ barrel. No magical spread left, then right, then down, ... whatever random.

10. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Like you said Fox, the more realistic and close to reality you want to go, the less that laser pointer means anything to shooting, the more toned down they want to make it the closer the bullets will land towards the laser pointer. But BF5 won't have laser pointers anyway ;)

Well nobody said she was a regular... I thought she was a resistance fighter of Norway? Those weren't regulars...

11. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    What they should do is for each weapon, have a "minute of angle" bullet spread modeled per bullet. This would be a closest realistic way and of course if your running, or standing or prone, each has its amount of steadiness built in (scope/iron sights).

I don't know exactly how BF1 is coded but it feels like its more calculated large area random spread, which is different than what I am saying as it feels/seems not per bullet but overall random fire spread. I have fired many rounds sometimes and they just don't get hit, but its hard to say if MP issues are involved there.

So what minute of angle spread would mean, is it takes into consideration distance once each weapon has a value.

You could have these to give an example (just rough numbers here).
    Handgun =(5"@25yrds)= 20" value (all values @100yrd).
    SMG= 6"@25yrs, 24"@100yrd
    Bolt action rifle = 4"@100
    Simi action (M! type) = 5"@100

So those are just examples but you can see how that would work. A handgun at 100+ yrs would have a wider spread than a human, but a bolt or semi-auto could still have all shots at targets of 300 yards.

I just hope they improve gun handling and not nerf it.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    __hollywood|meo and fantaskarsef like this.
  12. AcidSnow

AcidSnow Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Oh damn, this is why I love the CoD series: "We’re also bringing back bullet penetration in a big way." Shooting noobs through walls is 90% of why I play CoD; so if BF is allowing us to shoot through walls to get kills, then I can admit that my interest is peaked!

13. ubercake

ubercake Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC Blk
    "...Disregarding bullet drop over longer distances, the bullet will go where you have your sights...."

No bullet drop?
    Bullet drop is one of those realistic features that differentiates the Battlefield series from others. If they get rid of this, we may as well be holding laser guns on the WWII battleground (see [the crap that is] the SW Battlefront series).

I like bullet penetration. That makes sense and adds to the realism.

14. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I just want BF: 1942 remade with today's graphics.

0blivious likes this.
  15. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    You read that wrong. They said disregarding, as in its in BFV, they are just making a point by excluding bullet drop from the conversation.

16. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Agree this sounds much like what they are attempting. Prior I think the random bullet deviations were to try an mimic how guns work in the real world i.e. most guns have a certain bullet spread based on the the guns build, caliber and how hot the barrel gets etc. I have never liked this in game play because its almost impossible for developers to get this part right. I as a player would much rather learn the recoil of the gun which is also pretty realistic. This at least allows more gaming skill to come into play then random chance which I think will be slightly less realistic but more fun to play.

17. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    i cant imagine that they would introduce recoil patterns into the series after all this time..? i dont like excessive utilization of randomized spread, surely, but something must be done to mimic the physical impossibility of controlling the entirety of a weapons recoil in high rate of fire scenarios.

i very much like the MOA suggestion detailed earlier - its actually perfect from a technical standpoint. i doubt that DICE is implementing such a feature, however, & we will have to wait to see wat the actual effect they reference even is, since they want to use oversimplified laymans terms

18. ubercake

ubercake Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC Blk
    Thanks for the clarification. I did read that wrong.

19. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I'm mildly more interested than I was initially. I'm still prepared for a total letdown but it's possible I may buy this.

+1 on the BF1942 remake idea over BFV

Serotonin likes this.
  20. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    lol about games being accurate on weapon spread.

first, no professional will ever shoot in (full) auto, maybe on the rare event of suppressive fire,
    where no one cares about (actually) hitting something, which makes (correct) recoil less of an issue.

Dont mind if recoil is present in games (after shooting more than 4-5 bullets),
    just so sprayNpray shooters stand less of a chance to survive..

what i hate is random spread, as (most) guns will have a fixed offset when using sights, that you can train on (e.g. pistol shoots to one side, so you start pointing a bit more to the opposite side).

same for bullet drop, as thats really only relevant for stuff that can go past 2-300y (and not many guns that size would actually be carried by a the whole squad/platoon, vs just 1 with a LMG),
    mainly sniper guns/rifles, then again you would need to introduce ppl how to "adjust" for real-world changes (temp/humidity/wind/earth rotation) and not just distance.
    (@EdKiefer most handguns wont hit crap past 50y maybe 100y, and most would rather throw the gun..)

you can do that in a sniper game, and account for that by having more time (to take a shot), doubt introducing this in FPS stuff like COD or BF would be a good idea.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018