NVIDIA Next Generation Mainstream GPU Detailed in August

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 31, 2018.

1. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    AMD will *NOT* shipp mainstream 7nm GPUs soon. look at their roadmap, 2018 is for professional/enterprise 7nm GPUs not consumer. that means Nvidia is under 0 pressure ATM, they could easily release 12nm GPUs late this year and still beat competition hands down.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Reread my post - where did I say AMD is shipping 7nm GPUs? They are sampling them. Which means they have them in the lab. 7nm has been in volume production since April this year out of TSMC - GF is several months behind and that's what AMD is shipping Vega Instinct on. There is no purpose of Nvidia shipping 12nm gaming GPUs - at best you get a 20% performance increase for a significantly bigger die (470 compared to 600) - the whole purpose of them doing 12nm for GV100 was the FN 7.5T process for reticule limit. With gaming cards your generation will be maxed out at ~20% faster than Pascal. As I stated twice, obviously Nvidia can technically do this, but it would be incredibly stupid - they'd ship 12nm 600mm2 refresh Q3/Q4 of this year and AMD can easily ship a 7nm half size Q1 next year - then what does Nvidia do? Refresh again in under a year? Or just wait and let Pascal sit another 6 months before 7nm is ready for a 1180 sized die?

The latter sounds like a better business decision and a better decision for the customer.

3. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    WHO said they are sampling them? the whole talk about 7nm ATM with AMD is for enterprise things like AI, machine learning, big data, cloud. no consumer stuff this year.
    Nvidia doesn't need to go for 7nm. 12nm is enough combined with faster memory, Nvidia is miles ahead in terms of efficiency and performance especially at the high-end.
    TSMC already confirmed 12nm specifically made for Nvidia, it is OFFICIAL
    wake up

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    AMD said they are sampling them.

Hence why I said Radeon Instinct. Please read what I'm writing before posting.

TSMC has already confirmed it? Really? They confirmed the thing they've been shipping for over a year now? You don't say.

I'm not going to respond to you if you're just going to repeat without actually reading. AMD is preparing to ship 7nm cards early next year to customers. I don't care whether or not that's for prosumer/consumer. AMD is doing that on Globalfoundries 7nm process that's months behind TSMC. Nvidia can ship 12nm GPUs this year - but it would be pointless to do so with 7nm so close to GPU ready production and AMD already announcing that they are moving to 7nm early next year. Thus I think Nvidia will wait a little longer and ship 7nm on TSMC, who again is months ahead, because it will put them that much further ahead of AMD.

If you can't understand the logic behind that then I don't know what to tell you. You can disagree - that's fine - but disagree and actually write something that I haven't already addressed several times.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    Dragam1337 and Maddness like this.

5. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    them as to enterprise parts. NOT CONSUMERS
    fake news

6. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

ahem, AMD signed a *7nm contract* with TSMC for vega and ryzen. already in pre-production.
    which goes precisely to my point, one that i've stated for over a year - "Volta" ain't gonna happen anytime soon.
    as a matter of fact EOL isn't even posted for the 1070, 1070ti, 1080ti.
    as i've stated many many times before, Nvidia was caught napping on node shrinkage - they absolutely pulled an Intel. they didn't think they needed to (they still don't) as the market is snapping them up as they are available.
    the COST of launching a new series including advertising, is monumental. far higher than the average reader would assume and without substantive (in numbers sold) competition, there is NO business case to be made. every analyst on the AIB market would agree (once geekdom is factored out).

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Nvidia will be shipping 7nm GPU's in the next year. I don't know if it will be "Volta" or what they will call it but they show absolutely zero signs of "napping on node shrinkage" they literally worked with TSMC to build their own node(FFN) because TSMC wasn't innovating it fast enough and the only thing holding them back from more sales is shrinking their GPUs to boost yields per wafer. They will 100% have more clout over 7nm on TSMC over AMD - the difference this time is TSMC needs 7nm customers because smartphone ships are plateauing so they can supply both companies. AMD is splitting production between GF/TSMC.

Dragam1337 and Maddness like this.
  8. dfsdfs1112

dfsdfs1112 Member Guru

GPU:
    2060 SUPER
    You should not buy a screen without HDMI 2.1 !!!
    The huge gap between HDMI2.0 TO HDMI 2.1

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yep, actually ~1420mhz+ and its literally on par with 1070ti.