NVIDIA Next Generation Mainstream GPU Detailed in August

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 31, 2018.

1. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090

1080ti will be strong for awhile, the 980ti is still a massively strong card now... as got 16gb you might be dreaming a bit more likely to be 8gb.

And people still going on about Nvidia dropping support after a year... this has been disproven so many times now

Chances are the 1180/2080 will be around 10-30% stronger than the 1080ti if we go from past cards

2. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    I dont think so, if GDDR6 starting going out around august, its very unlikely Nvidia would release x70/x80 now on GDDR5/5x and use GDDR6 on lowend in august.

3. holler

holler Master Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7900XTX Aqua
    taking bets now that AMD will release their revised Vega before 1180 hits :). Even if 1180 hits early, I still question if there will be a decent supply of GDDR6 or it will be a paper launch. HBM2 is pretty mature now and shouldn't have that problem.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  4. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    My guess is announcement in August followed by FE release shortly after and 3rd party at the end of the year. I think it's safe to assume that nVidia has had the chip ready for some time now (Titan V).

Sure, it's a great card for 1080p/144Hz gaming. Maybe also for some 1440p/60Hz games but that's it.

5. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

well, it is B.S., simply because of economics. the last two years has seen Nvidia watch as some of its (potentially) most lucrative clients buy 1080ti's for their computing needs instead of Quadro's.
    part of the time spent was separating out non-consumer technology from the upcoming 20xx series... harder than you think as they have consistently created Features (that most don't use) and Benefits to excel in a targeted market and compete with AMD.
    and by competition i don't mean just market share...i mean that AMD does excellent design and both Nvidia and AMD copy each other's feature sets for the most part.

6. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    I highly doubt we will see 7nm products soon.... 7nm is in heavy demand from enterprise and mobile markets. nvidia is facing no competition they will just use a refreshed process node

7. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    as far as crystal balls... i suspect the 2060 will have the performance of the 1070ti/1080.
    that alone would make the "mainstream" presentation more than newsworthy.
    what i'm curious about is the speed of the bus... Nvidia typically uses a lower bandwidth bus and makes up for it in processor speed. with 4k being the current tv standard for new sets, i wonder if they will go with a higher bandwidth bus and keep the high clocks...that would be fantastic...20xx mid-range cards getting 45-60fps 4k under $400

8. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    i suspect you're right. the tea leaves at the bottom of the cup tells me so:p
    seriously tho, on this note you are on the right track.
    7nm production runs are already guaranteed for Apple and AMD, as they've paid their big bucks up front (and AMD has *deep* chip fab relations).

Nvidia will have to wait on 7nm unless Samsung (not TSMC or GloFo) has excess capacity. AMD/Apple have first run guarantees at both TSMC and GloFo.

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The demand for 7nm SoC's is lower than expected and as I stated TSMC already said they are doing 7nm GPUs this year:

That was in April.

AMD is refreshing Vega on 7nm this year (they already taped out 7nm Vega samples internally), 7nm is two nodes down from the improved 12nm/14nm processes. Nvidia can't compete at a two node advantage and if they are shipping 12nm consumer parts this year it's not like they are going to refresh 7nm early next year. So logically I think the play for them would be to wait for 7nm to become yieldable at ~300mm2 and ship then. Obviously this is speculation on my part but it makes more sense then them trying to push older 12nm tech against AMD on 7nm.

__

They buy Titan's instead of Quadros/Teslas and rarely are Quadros used for compute - typically it's Teslas (GP100/GV100/Etc)

As stated above demand for 7nm SoC's is actually lower than expected and TSMC is looking for customers to make up that difference. AMD has deep fab relations with GF but TSMC has relations with Nvidia and TSMC is months ahead of GF in 7nm volume production. I also don't know why you'd think that AMD has more clout than Nvidia over other fabs - GF being the only exception. Nvidia has significantly more cash on hand and ships significantly more product than AMD does given fab's recent pricing structure per wafer.

10. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025

11. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    If nvidia does indeed launch their coming gpu's at 7nm, then a performance jump like 780 ti to 980, and 980 ti to 1080, with equally smaller chips, might be possible.

I hope that is true, because that would mean that a 1180 ti could be significantly faster than the 1080 ti, rather than just "up to" 30% more as the titan V.

12. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Considering most gamers are still 1080p, i think we are fine there, not many have made the jump to 4k due to it being insanely hard to achieve 60fps in most modern titles. But i used a 980ti till end of last year on 1440p/144hz monitor just fine, many games got over 70fps+ and that was the modern titles

13. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Yup, it's better to avoid the rumors and the hype until an actual product is announced. I've seen plenty of people who were convinced that a new GPU was launching, only to have their hopes dashed when it turned out to be false. I'd also imagine that plenty of people are holding out for a new GPU when they could have upgraded already. Also, even if a new GPU launches in August, it will probably take a couple of months for supply to catch up to demand (if the 1080 and 1080 Ti launches are anything to go by), and that's not factoring in miners. By the time you can actually get a 1180 for a decent price, it might be Christmas already.

14. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Good question.

TVs with HDMI 2.1 are not coming until 3Q 2018 (at best) but new GPUs should be ready for them before that date.

MS claim that Xbox One X could support some HDMI 2.1 features like VRR in the future via a firmware upgrade but that remain to be seen.

I guess that support refers only to features whom don't require more bandwidth than HDMI 2.0(b) but others like eARC and 4K HDR 4:4:4 will not be supported without new hardware.

dfsdfs1112 likes this.
  15. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    I wonder if this can be a RX 580 replacement....

Noisiv likes this.

16. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

If it's 7nm and 300mm2 part, then it should easily beat 1080Ti, and this is how it has been historically the case, x80 beating (x-1)80Ti

So why are they calling it Mainstream??

This is highly confusing tbh. Why is nvidia talking up their Polaris?
    Have they suddenly decided that the money is in $250 class? jebus wth

They need to crush High-End, which then automatically trickles down to mid-range. No need to talk up the Mid-range.

Someone better come up with an explanation, I've seen none so far in this thread.

17. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

Which is anything but good news for Nvidia and for us.

High demand means high volume, it also means faster learning curve on the new process,
    which in turn leads to both better yields and lowers wafer prices.

18. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Don't you know? Nvidia always uses a cut-down, mid-range chip for their x80 cards ;)

19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Aside from it possibly being a marketing misstep - them calling the 1170/80 midrange isn't that far fetched - the only thing I can think of is transistor cost scaling. With 16nm the fabrication cost per transistor nearly stalled from 28nm - 10nm was worse and while I haven't seen anything concrete on 7nm, I'm sure it hasn't improved. So basically even though the chip is half the size at 300mm2, the transistor count is going to be similar to a 1080Ti and thus the cost to manufacture it will be similar to a 1080Ti. So potentially Nvidia will be shipping even smaller parts first this time - especially because the yields on 7nm will still be relatively low.

But again that assumes that they are shipping these cards on 7nm - which is just speculation on my part. So it's like speculation of speculation with a sprinkle of speculation but it's a rumor thread sooooooooo..

20. Pinstripe

Pinstripe Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7700 XT
    It certainly makes sense to wait a bit longer for 7nm, but otoh what's not to say that Nvidia's 12nm is comparable to AMD's 7nm? After all, Maxwell 28nm had about the same performance/TDP ratio as Polaris 14nm.