Windows: Line-Based vs. Message Signaled-Based Interrupts. MSI tool.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by mbk1969, May 7, 2013.

1. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    On ASMedia USB3 drivers, just make sure you use latest ones (currently 1.16.51.1). As there was a bunch of versions (1.16.4x.x) that porked USB3 on a lot of systems (no response from ports).
    I am on 1.16.51.1 and they work fine, I don't use windows win10 MS drivers, this is on KB/mouse.

2. Sn0opy

Sn0opy Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060
    @mbk1969 Just received an Info from Killer:

Thank you for your email.

The E2500 does not use the Message Signal Interrupt as it uses the far superior PCI-E 3.0 MSI-X spec. You can read more about that here:

However, if you prefer to use the standard Message Signal Interrupt spec, you can make that change in your registry. The E2500 will work, but you will likely see some performance degradation.

HENCE, I will let Killer E2500 use the MSI-X mode :)

Best regards

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    If device in device manager (or in the utility) shows positive IRQ number it uses legacy Line Based mode.
    If device in device manager shows negative IRQ number it uses MSI/MSI-X mode.
    The tweak in this thread is about switching devices from legacy Line Based mode to newer Message Signaled mode. The tweak is not about switching between two modes of Message Signaled mode - older MSI and newer MSI-X.
    MSI-X was introduced not in PCI-E 3.0. MSI-X was introduced in PCI 3.0 in 2004. PCI-E 3.0 was introduced in 2010.

I guess people from Killer did not understand your question. Or you got answer not from technician/developer.

4. NoviceUser

NoviceUser Member

GPU:
    GTX 770
    Alright I finally pulled the trigger today in putting everything except the USB v2.0 to MSI mode. Everything seemed to go smoothly except my 3rd party soundcard (Asus Xonar DGX - PCI-e). For some reason it just did not want to go to MSI mode. At first I thought maybe there was some off-chance I had to switch my onboard to MSI mode first but still no success. Luckily other then that everything seemed to have switched fine.

[​IMG]

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    It is known thing about sound cards. (Several) Creative ones and ASUS ones refused to work or just ignored the tweak.
    Concerning NVIDIA cards: every installation of drivers reverts the card back to legacy mode. Be aware.

6. NoviceUser

NoviceUser Member

GPU:
    GTX 770
    Alright good to hear it wasn't a mess up from my part. I made a note regarding (re)installing the GPU drivers thanks. It might be the placebo but I just finished playing CSGO and the game seemed much smoother in deathmatch servers. FPS dropped as expected but the micro stutter was absent, very smooth and enjoyable once again. Thank you all for the great support! : )

7. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    The SATA AHCI Controller is not in MSI mode because it's not "Microsoft" STANDARD AHCI MODE Controller, you installed the Intel Chipset driver and it installed the INF without really using the RIGHT SYS file , so you are working on really lowest compatibility/performance level at the moment , I suggest you go to the device manager and install again the Standard AHCI Driver or install the IRST Drivers which right for your motherboard.

8. NoviceUser

NoviceUser Member

GPU:
    GTX 770
    The two screens you quoted are before i attempted to switch them to MSI. This is one is afterwards does everything look good in this one?:

[​IMG]

9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Do not worry about X7007`s words too much. You can check which driver is in use for your SATA controller. Go to Device manager, locate that "Intel 9 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller", double click on it to launch the dialog with properties, click on "Driver" tab, click in "Driver Details" button, copy and paste screenshot of the dialog with driver details.
    You will not see huge performance increase installing Intel RST drivers. But if you want even a little improvement you can install "Latest/best RST(e) v14.6 Series drivers" or "Latest/best RST(e) v14.8 Series drivers" (or older "Latest/best RST(e) v13.1 Series drivers ..."/"Latest/best RST(e) v13.2 Series drivers...") from here
    https://www.win-raid.com/t2f23-Intel-RST-RSTe-Drivers-newest-v-WHQL-v-WHQL.html

Do not ask me which of all compatible with 9 series chipsets drivers are better. You can only test it yourself.

10. NoviceUser

NoviceUser Member

GPU:
    GTX 770
    Alright he had me worried for a sec! I went to fernando's forums and took one which was compatible with my chipset. In this case the 13.2.8.1002 version.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Edit: nvm... Haven`t read your full post...

But what driver was before that?...

12. NoviceUser

NoviceUser Member

GPU:
    GTX 770
    I am sorry I do not remember nor know how to check this

13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I was typing instruction about device manager namely to check that... :cool:

14. NoviceUser

NoviceUser Member

GPU:
    GTX 770
    Hmm i am still not fully sure how i should do it? Do you mean make another screen shot of the 'driver details tab'?

15. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    When have you installed 13.2.8.1002 from Fernando? Some time ago or after I posted the link?

16. NoviceUser

NoviceUser Member

GPU:
    GTX 770
    Oh now i understand. I installed fernando's driver yesterday.

17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    In that case you just could ignore X7007 words about what drivers you have installed. I suggested to check drivers in Device manager namely to check his statement (and to sooth your OCD).

18. dervu

dervu Guest

GPU:
    2060 RTX 6GB
    Does anyone know how this thing should work on Integrated graphics?
    On my 3210m with HD4000 switching graphics to MSI mode makes it different, mouse feels different, maybe input in game feels quicker but don't really know, it is so subtle. Sometimes it feels like my shots in fps games were faster, that I could react sooner, but it could be placebo. Switching it back feels like mouse was faster.
    Does it even make sense switching it while MSI is for something like PCI devices while iGPU is inside CPU? I have 3 devices on 16 IRQ, graphics, NIC and USB controller.
    Is there any possiblity there would be any conflicts because of it? In device manager there is no info about any conflicts.

19. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    In old days it would called conflict. Nowadays it is called IRQ sharing. Not a good thing.

As for integrated GPU it is still PCI-E device. You can check that in Device manager by switching view from default "Devices by type" to "Devices by connection".

20. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    The UHD 630 on the 8700k works OK in MSI mode here (its default), even when used together with the 1070ti (MSI mode as well).