Quake Champions

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Omg, Quake 1 and 2 in idTech6, that would be so awesome! I would pay good money for something like that.

AsiJu and cerebus23 like this.
  2. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Have you tried Quake 2 XP?

Not that it would be anywhere near idTech 6 but it's a pretty neat mod regardless if you own the original game.
    It "remasters" the game while maintaining the original aesthetic.

3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I had no idea that existed :) Cool, thanks!

4. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    I didnt know about this either! Quake 2 was the first game I saw with 3dfx Glide and I was BLOWN AWAY! Might have to check this out.

Too bad there is no player base for Quake Champions.

AsiJu likes this.

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    So, I checked out Quake Champions on Steam and now there are four items to choose from:
    Scalebearer Pack for 4,99€
    Champions Pack for 29,99€
    Scalebearer Pack upgrade for 4,99€
    Champions Pack upgrade for 29,99€

Does the Scalebearer pack mean that you get access to the base game? It doesn't really say. 5€ isnt much so it could be worth it.

6. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    yes, it lets you play any map/gamemode as ranger or scalebearer. afaik the only restriction is that you cant start a custom game without the champion pack. leveling drops give you the option to unlock other champs permanently via those stupid loot boxes. theres a daily login reward that cycles through seven preset drops, & one is a legendary chest. those have good champ drop rates, but theres a lot of crap to unlock, so no guarantees

scalebearer is ridiculously strong in the right hands, but if your aim is crap you will suffer from having a larger hitbox. as long as you can stack armor quickly when you spawn & deal dmg reliably, you will crush any light you encounter. id say if youre interested, five bucks is a good buy-in :>

7. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Bought and tried :) I think it was worth the 5€ tbh, it's not a bad game and the waiting queues are manageable (15-90 seconds) plus the graphics are decent enough (although the animations are slightly off compared to Wolfenstein. I was afraid that there wouldn't be any skill matching due to the low amount of players but luckily, this doesn't seem to be the case...too much. I've played around 20 games so far and tried every champion (you got them free for 72hrs) and I must say that I mostly play vs people that I feel I have a chance to kill. Sure, in some games I meet experts like this one Deathmatch game where I was the last one with just a few kills vs 1st place guy with 40 kills.

The game itself is really fast and fun but I wish there were more maps. On the other hand I need to learn the maps I have for now and understand where pickups and stuff are. My favorite game mode is TDM since you have some time to breathe between fights. I haven't tried the insta kill one since I'm learning to aim atm :)

The Scalebearer is tough since, like you say, the hit box is large. I have a few favorites but I've forgotten their names :) I'll try to buy a hero when my free time is over. Wonder how much Favor they cost.

8. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Got Galena from a Reliquary chest so it's possible to get them there. I also bought the one time package but didn't get any more champions in those two Reliquaries. I guess i'll just keep playing. Btw, they said you'll be able to buy champions with Favor in the June patch. Also, I got a chest from Bethesda while watching some QC streams.

9. __hollywood|meo

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    yes, it is. i said that :p galena is quite powerful! you got lucky. healing is OP unless you face a coordinated team alone!

huge patch today adding bots, gibs, new audio localization tech, buffing xp gain - solo or in party (yay, earning faster chests), champs purchasable permanently with favor, chests purchasable with shards, & hp/armor/speed tweaks for literally every character...as well as performance tweaks & bugfixes (certain infamous memory leak is now gone, for instance)

only downside is that you can no longer craft armor with shards, which is a real shame considering i was stockpiling it for that expressed purpose. oh well. no big deal. overall im quite pleased with the progress the game is making, & thrilled to see bots added specifically - this will encourage people who are intimidated by the high skill floor to get practice in an environment with ~less pressure~ so that they can relax & learn the game :D

::edit::

haha unfortunately yeah serotonin

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  10. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Does this game still only have roughly 4 maps?

11. __hollywood|meo

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    just loaded up the game again & noticed that playing the tutorial (even if previously completed) now awards 200k favor. thats enough for 100 basic tier loot boxes. granted, many of those items will be icons, simple weapon recolors, etc - but its still a lot of loot. honestly dont know if the game is bugged, or if its intended...either way, take advantage of it

12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    The map rotation before the patch was really weird since the same maps kept appearing all the time but now the map rotation is way better (there are three options to choose from this time). I'm playing on maps I've never seen before :)

Honestly dude, this patch killed the game for me :( I'm so disappointed but let's start with the good things first. Maps, the map rotation is way better and like I told Serotinin I've discovered a few maps I've not played before. You can buy champions with favor (unfortunately they are insanely expensive and getting 250k favor will take a couple of weeks I guess). You can do the tutorial and get 200k favor and 2 reliquaries which is great. Bots are in the game...but not in the game at the same time. Afaik, the only way you can play with bots is the tutorial where you'll meet the lizard. Or is bots only available to those with the Champions Pack (Custom game)? There is also a statistics page after each fight where you get a breakdown of your and others' performance. Queues are shorter which brings us to the bad...

...they've removed skill matching to, I guess, shorten the queues. This is awful for me who just picked up the game and isn't skilled at all. I played about 8 matches and every time I was matched with people 25-50 levels above me which meant that I got pretty much constantly fragged. Most duels resulted in me getting pwned and they walking off with barely a scratch (the kill cam displays their HP/Armor). This stinks cause it really made the game so much more difficult whereas it previously was enjoyable where I felt I truly had a chance in most matches due to people having the same skill as me.

Sacrifice game mode is removed (bug?) and you now have playlists (solo & team). If you want a deathmatch it's not sure you'll get one cause people can vote for instagib and that game mode is only for pros with good aim unless you don't want to die a ton of times.

Sorry if this seems like whining, but all I ask for is fair play on common ground, nothing more. I'm seriously considering uninstalling the game and I'm sad that I bought the one time pack (btw, it's reset for me meaning I can buy it again which is nice).

13. __hollywood|meo

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    stage two bot development will include adding bots to games, playing entire matches with only bots, etc. this patch was laying the groundwork for their AI code, & once they finish the backend support stuff, you can play against the computer to your hearts content afaik

it doesnt sound like whining at all. there are people who have been playing quake/UT for twenty years out there...like me. my reflexes arent quite as sharp anymore, so im middle of the pack id say...but still competitive. the major issue i suppose is that proper arena shooters as they stand are designed to be sink or swim. you rise to the communitys level, or well uh you dont. theres no wide spectrum of skill tiers like overwatch or even CSGO, where players are so abundant (& thusly so varied in their commitment levels, situational awareness, & mechanical skill) that anyone—from silver scheiße to eagles/masters—will be surrounded by their peers

that seem intimidating? well, you arent alone - almost everyone feels that way. its why more casual genres have proliferated, & where other game mechanics like the survival/building/scavenging or killstreak/perks in almost all modern shooters comes from. quake has attempted to become more accessible by adding the champ classes/abilities & open itself up to a wider demographic. at first i wasnt happy about it, then i realized that the genre was simply trying to evolve organically & thereby survive

if you dont care to read this babble then at least take away that being able to hang in there amongst fierce competition is an extremely rewarding feeling as far as gameplay experiences go. if you want to try, set small incremental goals. dont go in to a match with expectations for yourself...just explore the concept of map control & analyze how you are attacked from different areas depending upon the map geography/verticality. you will improve.

• bind your two favorite weapons (one close range & one med/far) to convenient buttons
    • find the spawn point for a power weapon that you enjoy using
    • locate any adjacent armor pickups
    • patrol that one area of the map for the entire game

sorry for the wall of text :D

Netherwind likes this.
  14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Quake Champions base pack is free until the 18th

@__hollywood|meo Thanks for your wall of text, it was inspirational and educational :) Since the game is free there is a lot of new players which makes the game a lot more enjoyable. I once again get north of 1.0 K/D than before when I couldn't due to experts :D Now I also notice the mistakes I do and can take it slightly more easy with aiming (a.k.a getting less stressed).

15. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I enjoy this game a lot but if you're new to Quake you are going to have a hard time against the veterans. I don't know if they worked the ranking system out yet but when the game was first launched it was a complete mess. I was matched up against Fatal1ty numerous times and just got completely wrecked. I definitely not new to Quake but nowhere near that level. At least I got some good Twitch clips of the games.

16. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    Shorten the rail length, timenudge -20, learn to circle straff jump, turn off plums set fov to 110, keel is a good skin and make all opponents keel, bind your weapons, quad plasma is good, rockets and rail, time respawning armore in your head, all ways wear headphones, turn the graphics to crap you will focus on the enemy clearer and really practice circle straff jumping to gain speed, aim rockets at the feet of your opponents if you miss you will get splash damage, ect

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  17. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Getting my ass handed to me. I'm getting old. I used to hold my own in Quake 3 Arena. Ah well. It was free and it's enjoyable in small spurts. Don't see this taking off though. Arena shooters are dead. This battle royale crap is all the rage these days. Which I can't stand. More signs of aging.

18. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Correction: Typical arena shooters are dead. This is not typical. The devs have seen modern attempts at arena shooters fail, which is why they're including a dose of new elements and fresh ideas to the old Quake regimen, to increase interest and bring on some younger players. I think they're offering enough variety and re-playability here to give it a better chance at success. The new Unreal Tournament on the other hand? Not so much. The new UT is offering nothing new or fresh on the old arena shooter format. That one is doomed to fail imo, not Quake Champs.

19. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    While I'm having a bit of fun with this game what makes it not a typical arena shooter? the fact it has loot boxes?

20. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Bethesda gave me this game for free quite a while back (not with all champs though). I was part of the earliest testers for it.

It's basically Q3 with fully updated graphics + new maps and changes to old maps (including name) + a special ability per character and skins customisation for both characters and guns. At it's core, it's Quake 3+