ASUS Announces its ROG SWIFT PG27UQ (DisplayHDR 1000 certified)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 24, 2018.

1. ivymike10mt

ivymike10mt Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    There is a reason, why TV manufactures try to avoid IPS panels.. in their mid & top range TV's.
    There is also a reason, why TV manufactures implementing specially designed "light diffusion coating"..
    HoneyComb in Panasonic DX900. To eliminate unwanted light leaks - (on sample).

Contrast Ratio:
    - IPS: ~1000
    - VA: ~4500
    Black Level:
    - VA: ~0.020
    - IPS: ~0.080

Conclusion: Better Contrast, and Black Level, improve picture quality, and plasticity of image.
    Have perceptible better image - "depth".. less light leaks - (especially in dark scenes, and/or room).
    IPS, itself is fine.. It was fine, when displays had 300-350 nits. But now They increased light intensity by around 3x!
    TN.. it's good for work in text, and casual surfing.. Today, for nothing else I will use it.

PS: Quantum Dot's + Investment, for a long years..?
    Idk. QD matrix, are significantly more sensitive than without...

Noisiv and DeskStar like this.
  2. Asgardi

Asgardi Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    You would think so but the reason I'm looking a new monitor is that my current 800€ ROG Swift broke just 8% after warranty was gone. Asus basicly gave me middle finger when I tried to get replacement or even repair. Not going to pay 3k for a monitor which I can expect to last just over 2 years.

fantaskarsef and sverek like this.
  3. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    erm, don't "invest" in monitors, it's a bad investment.

4. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    2k ips at 27 inch still looks incredible to be honest. HDR can make things look over saturated and too bright imo. Just turn up your monitor brightness a little and get some Gunnar’s, and you have got some damn nice clarity.

Still looking forward to getting a high quality panel at 32 inch 4K 144hz (with g-sync) though! Just not at an insane price...

5. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW

Still can't get passed them (lack of) viewing angles on the VA/TN counterparts.

Maybe when they fix that issue I will be more apt to invest in something that is cheaper to say the least. For the most part like people are saying on here the monitor you buy is an investment that will most likely outlive your entire build('s) if purchased right.

6. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    You guys are completely right. I didn't think of such short warranty, nor that build quality couldn't be good enough to last.
    I just never had monitor failure, so it didn't cross my mind.

7. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    Majority of those complains is about shitty VA panels from AOU used by Asus and Acer and not LG based IPS panels.

8. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    I rather get good quality IPS pannel with some IPS glow and lower contrast than VA pannel that have issues with colour shifting and terrible ghosting which is bad for gamming.

IPS panels can looks better than VA, try to check something like LG 55SJ950V TV for idea how it should be done, unfortunately monitors lag several years behind TV tech.

9. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    Above this news is the one with some of the Samsung 2018 TVs getting a Freesync firmware update. The 65" version of the NU8000 costs 500$ less than this 27" G-Sync "wonder" while the 75" version costs 500$ more. No comment. :D

So you use 2 GTX 1080Tis (which was ~1500-1800$) and you get the right amount of numbers in a game that is super optimized. Now check 95% (or 99%) of today's games.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O

What's even better, he's doing it in a game that's supposed to be fast paced, where there's little difference between playing 4K and 1440p... for the extra price of around 1000$ to have some bragging rights. Very cool, I bet that thing's a power house (if SLI is even supported) :D
    But yeah, Battlefield games have traditionally been rather optimized in terms of performance, poor in terms of netcode.

Solfaur likes this.

11. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I have to say that the added clarity 4k gives, makes it alot easier to spot enemies. I play at 4k with 130% render res, and no AA - gives a super sharp and clear image :)

12. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    But can it run Crysis?

13. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    It can ! :p

[​IMG]

Solfaur likes this.
  14. ivymike10mt

ivymike10mt Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Not all VA panels, have the same viewing angles.. Some have better, than the other. On sample, Samsung QLED's, have not bad one.
    But, If We use a proper screen size.. Sit in a proper distance.. VA "angles" should be no problem.
    Calibration, can give a nice bonus. Then You should not notice any color shifting.
    While I'm used IPS, also sitting straight, coz under some angles, they also shine - even on bright areas.
    So I just learn to sit more in center, for any LCD screen. But it's proper way to do so.
    Watching from wide angle, also change perspective - picture "geometry". So it's not recommended anyway.
    I think, VA matrix is a problem for users, Who don't have much "VA" experiences. How to set this thing's right.
    "LG 55SJ950V" - I'm not surpriced, that model is very un-popular.. - I not saw any solid review of this model. But I remember "LG SJ850V", and was not too good…

What We can get in TV market for 2000-3000$ We can get Samsung QE55Q9FN - (just one sample).
    Have a good contrast, improved VA angles, 480 zones, better HDR, low input-lag, and very promising interpolation system - so can make native 120FPS, from 30/60 FPS input!

15. The Chosen One

The Chosen One Guest

GPU:
    Yes I would always prefer TN/VA over IPS. I don't want IPS glow so simple right?

16. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Always silly to hear blanket statements that all IPS panels suffer from the same degree of IPS glow and are therefore all rubbish. IPS glow can and does differ in severity from display to display, some mild and others terrible. As an owner of VA and IPS panels (and a premium TN which I got rid of recently), I actually prefer my IPS panels over the VA. Even though the VA is my main display but only using it due to its larger size than the IPS units.

A big factor in degree of IPS glow is display brightness and panel quality. The brighter it is on lower grade IPS displays, the more horrible it can get. You can greatly decrease the IPS glow by reducing its brightness to 120cd/m (the standard brightness target when calibrating). Furthermore, its mostly annoying at angles, but greatly reduced viewing head on. Most monitor users whom are most bothered by IPS glow are almost guaranteed to have it set at a very high brightness (150-200cd/m) which worsens the IPS glow and exacerbated when using lower grade panels.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    DeskStar likes this.
  17. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    I guess you have it all nailed down then.... Still not sure what GLOW "all" IPS panels have, but I'm certain not all are the same.

18. Domitius

Domitius Guest

GPU:
    Nvidea 7900 GT
    So if $2k is the 27" selling price then what, we looking at $5k for the 65"?