Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (3GB) has a 96-bit memory bus

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 21, 2018.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    They did the same thing with the GT640....

2. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    omg they have a pos 3g 1050 call the marines

I told you guys they are cry babies they seem to look at it as a threat or something.
    that's the only way they can take shots they cant do it with hardware and they know it.
    wasted time and money on hbm so the critters come out
    does it have to be like that all the time

like 2 pages for a 1050???? 3g no less
    good god ya'll

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    NVidia claimed the GPP was about transparency. Is NVidia going to ensure that the boxes for each GTX1050 model is transparent about the actual specifications of the card?

Not picking on NVidia here. I'd love to see actual specifications for EVERY graphics card clearly printed on the packaging.... Whether it's AMD or NVidia, makes no difference. The specifications for the product inside the box, should be clearly printed on the box.

Clawedge and Noisiv like this.
  4. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    Useless.

5. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    3118 overclocked vs 4285 stock in timespy, tell different class of cards:
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_1060_gaming_x_3gb_review,28.html
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/galax-kfa2-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-exoc-review,34.html

Also you should know that things like bandwidth are very prone to cause botlenecks, even in stuff as entry level as the gt 1030, so these kind of practices are lame:

6. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    more shaders. higher clock, more mem
    should be AT LEAST as fast as the old 1050

someone remind me what are we crying about this time :D

airbud7 likes this.
  7. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    there is no gpp only the same thing both sides do all the time
    at this point I would take a 3g 580 or 560 for that matter they got nuttin and you don't care
    aamof the last dgpu they put out was a similar card a low buget pos that got lower
    so its the ram and bit size? big deal
    you don't need to care after the people looking at the same box with two brands did not make you warm and fuzzy inside

8. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    I fully understand the nvidia move, but still it's an idiot move.

Memories are expensive AF lately as we all know

Having a 96 bits instead of 128 bits, allows them to save in 1 extra DRAM per card.
    Obviously 96 bits (or 92 bit's) cuts a lot of bandwidth, but also nvidia have been evolving a lot their memory compression algorithms and culling to prevent that a lot of bandwidth is thrown to the GPU.

None of the less, it's still an idiot move!

cowie likes this.
  9. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    Greedy company is finding ways and excuses to get rid of tons of chips in order to make clearance for the upcoming gen...

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    You get too worked up over things.

All I want, is the specs printed clearly on the box. That's the first and only necessary step in transparency.

11. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Wonder why they didn't opt for 8gbps or 9gbps memory, seems like it may be pretty badly crippled ,30% is a huge loss in memory bandwidth ,
    will be curious to see how it performs.

Seems like the sort of thing that should have a new name, so as to not confuse the consumer. :rolleyes:

opting for 8gbps memory would have reduced the cripple factor to just -16%
    opting for 9gbps memory reduces it to -4%

12. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    I agree on that but I did not think I had to tell you

I try to over drama the drama:D

this is the news you click on and move on not comment on the injustice lol

its going cheaper to who ever is selling them like hp could be 33 dollars cheaper over some other pos sell it in china or mexico or south America where they play that game called someone who wants it 33 dollars cheaper you might not have played that game i never did and for damn sure I don't want any 1050 let alone a chicken with no legs 3g pos.
    so really look at it helping someone save 33 dollars and they seen it was a pos 3g of course.

nv and amd both sucking ballzzz right now plus the fact that the retailers are super happy that we are happy to only see 75-100 over msrp ha ha
    like digging our own graves

Dragam1337 likes this.
  13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I didn't see the issue with the GPP other than the lack of claimed transparency. If you're going to be transparent, be transparent. Print the product specs on the damn box again.

If NVidia were to require AIB's to print the specs on the box, I wouldn't have an issue with products like these. When I bought my old GT640, the shop I bought it from had to test several cards to find me a Kepler based card. Had the specs been on the box, they wouldn't have had to go through the hassle. This particular card, would be fine as an HTPC card or for those that play older games like TL2 that aren't so demanding.

14. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Now i wonder how much this will criple the cards perfomance. Is not as severe as going with ddr 4 but still quiet the cut , maybe the 1050 is not starved at all? We will see soon i gues :p

15. olymind1

olymind1 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX6700 10 GB
    The next similiar card could be a 1060 with 4.5 GB vram on a 160 or 144 bit bus with same number of Cuda cores as 1060 3GB. They could name it to 1055 and sell it cheaper than 1060 3 GB. It could be a great transition between 1050 TI 4 GB and 1060 6 GB performance wise if the price would be closer to the 1050 TI than to the 1060 3 GB.

16. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I think the 640 only had 2 "flavors" (which is still a bit stupid). I think there were a handful of products that were like this, but the 630 is the only one to my knowledge that had 3.

17. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Yeah it's not as bad as when Nvidia had three versions of GT 730, one of them being Fermi.

This card will at least look more appealing for those who wants a cheaper card supporting Netflix 4k. I'm not planning to upgrade my HTPC until hardware decoding for AV1 is out, but it's a damn shame that the x10 lineup has died out.

18. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Ah so the 630 wasn't the only one with 3 variants. Now I'm curious what else is the same.

I'd rather just get an i3 8100 or Ryzen 3 2200G. To my knowledge, both of those support 4K and cost less than a 1050. Sure, they don't come with RAM, but if you're building a new PC for 4K playback purposes, these CPUs seem like a smarter choice.

If you intend to just upgrade your PC for 4K playback, the GT 1030 makes for a better option. It too has 4K support, can be passively cooled, has low-profile options, and is a bit cheaper.

19. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    The negative thing with the GT 1030 though is that it only has 2GB VRAM, and Netflix 4k requires 3GB VRAM.

But yeah, getting a Ryzen APU or Coffee Lake i3 is actually viable compared to the cost of a discrete card right now.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  20. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Is 3GB recommended or is Netflix legitimately non-functional without 3GB? Because keep in mind, modern GPUs in modern OSes will feed from SDRAM in the event the VRAM runs out, so it should in theory still be usable, despite Netflix's recommendation.

I could totally see 3GB just being a "strong recommendation" for the sake of the best user-experience, but I would be surprised if having less would prevent you from watching something.