GTX 970 to a GTX 1080

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ProfBP, May 11, 2018.

1. ProfBP

ProfBP Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX
    Does it make sense for me to upgrade my 970 to a 1080, or wait for Nvidia to release the next gen cards?

2. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    That would be a huge upgrade.

3. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    It is a major upgrade, 1080 almost doubles 970 performance (stock to stock or oc'ed to oc'ed). But at this stage, I'd wait and see what nvidia is planning to release.

Nosein likes this.
  4. Nosein

Nosein Guest

GPU:
    GTX 580
    This.

Im waiting to upgrade also. Wait with me.

5. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070
    I recently upgraded from a 970 to a 1070ti and that was a huge upgrade. I only did so because I found one brand new below msrp even after taxes and I couldn't let the chance slip by. If you find an unbeatable deal, worth it, other wise just wait it out. I have never seen dramatic price reductions on previous gen GPU's when new ones come out so don't expect to pick up a last gen model on the cheap, plus you know once the new line releases you better be ready to pull the trigger or you'll be playing the waiting game even longer to get your hands on one because availability will go fast as always

6. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    I would upgrade. Pascal is two and half years old, making it Nvidia's longest living generation. It's a good solid GPU that will last you for a while.

Besides Next generation will not come out any time soon, it wasn't announced in recent events. The most likely release will be Q1 / Q2 2019. I will be very surprised if we see anything earlier then that.

7. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Some guy over on the EVGA forum was arguing with me claiming that Nvidia already had THOUSANDS of wafers all ready tested all the way from the "1180 ti to the 1160" ...if that is what they will even be called. What a loon.

8. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    I guess we both agree that is purely a speculation. Not more and not less. Only development team / key decision makers/partners know the actual situation. All of this is under NDA as of right now.

Consumers can only guess. If I was Nvidia I wouldn't sell anything new as long as prices are so high for current cards/demand is still there. In next several months, miner demand for GPU's will further drop, which will be most likely compensated by all those people that were waiting for Pascal purchase @ MSRP.

Win/win for Nvidia. Last I checked they had ~70%ish market share, why bother with new stuff. Besides Pascal rapes 1080p 1440p current-gen titles. Hell, writing this makes me think late 2019 for next gen will be the most likely area.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  9. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Don't put out so late dates... those make me sad

cryohellinc likes this.
  10. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I did just that at xmas because my 970 was base min for VR and the Oculus rift, and the 1080 has allowed me to really ramp up the settings in VR games with it, very powerful card, BUT, i am getting major buyers remores as apart from the Rift i am not really gaming on PC at the moment, so i really could have waited somewhat. lol

I am on the verge of sticking it up on ebay but i am waiting for one of those pay only £1 selling fee offers they have now and again.

11. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    And another thing that came to my mind is AMD, Nvidia will not release anything up until AMD announces release dates for next-gen Vega's.

12. Nosein

Nosein Guest

GPU:
    GTX 580
    This should set off alarm bells instead of an urge to upgrade.

13. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Well if someone can wait for another year, be my guest. If I wanted to upgrade from 970 to 1080 I would do it now.

14. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    if the games you play now arent performing up to par, upgrade now, if they are fine, then wait.

15. DAW40

DAW40 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    Do not do it. Wait for 1180 GTX card. However it's going to be a long wait, nothing this year, sometimes in 2019.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018

16. van_dammesque

van_dammesque Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac 3070
    What about getting a second 970 for SLi, cheap and to give you the performance boost?

17. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    SLI is a mixed bag these days, less and less studios are actively supporting it. And the performance payoff is not as high as most people assume it would be.
    Plus, that still does nothing for the memory issues of the 970's design.

I'm looking at upgrading to a 1070 within the next few weeks.
    While my 970 still runs almost everything very well, more and more titles are pushing the card past it's memory. In games that run great on 4gb cards, I encounter stuttering with my 970 once the memory usage gets higher then 3.5gb. It's a poor design that really pulls down an otherwise great card.

But, I'll get a 1070, and just switch this 970 into my secondary PC that my wife uses.

18. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    van_dammesque likes this.
  19. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    I went from an Evga 1070ftw to an Evga 1080ftw and gained on average 22-25 fps so going from a 970 to 1080 will add heaps of fps.

20. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I said it's not as high as people assume. And, I stand by that. As a lot of people think SLI is a magical fix for a game and will give a massive FPS boost.
    Which is not true.
    In some games, yes, the benefits are great. But, there are also plenty of games that give minimal increases... and others that don't support SLI, where the setup can actually hurt the games performance.

Netherwind likes this.