Maxwell Bios tweaker + Maxwell compatible Nvflash + No limits modded Bios

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by harkinsteven, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Steve30x

Steve30x Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5700 XT
    No I use the stock FE cooler. I am very sure once again I've lost the silicone lottery. I can get the card to overclock to 1466MHz with EVGS Presion X but when I set it to 1466MHZ in the bios games lock up on me. I have managed to set the fan to ramp up to 70% on its own through the bios when the GPU gets hot though. I did have custom water cooling before for three years but I swore never again. Theres just far too maintenance for my liking and the thought of it leaking is another issue.

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Leaks aren't that much of an issue, but I understand the maintenance part ;)
    But honestly, a 1466MHz OC isn't that bad under air I think. Realistically, 1480 or even 1500 won't give you that much of a performance gain.

3. Steve30x

Steve30x Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5700 XT
    Yeah but Its through software. I rather not have extra software run if possible. I did have my GPU set to 100Mhz faster for a few days recently and one game had a strange issue with the picture freeze but the game itself was still running in the background and then there was the hard lock with another game

4. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    That's a classic for an unstable overclock though.

Well if you don't want to constantly run afterburner (which I can only say you should do because of monitoring / RTSS for frame limiting etc., and it doesn't need much of resources), you have to find out your max OC, mod your bios accodringly, flash the GPU and run it at the "new stock" clocks. But for that you have to go through software first to even see what works, except if you take somebody else's BIOS, or set some values in the BIOS and see if they work with multiple flashes and the work with that.

5. Steve30x

Steve30x Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5700 XT
    Thats how I tested it. I spent two weeks using Precision X to overclock , GPU'z to keep an eye on temperatures and clock speeds and then edit the bios to the clock speed that was stable through software overclock. I then set the Precision X to default settings after the bios flash and tested again , but the bios overclock wasn't stable while the software overclock was stable which I just couldn't understand because GPUZ showed the card overclocked to 1466 with software and it was stable.

6. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    More voltage? Or would you have gotten a temp problem then? Usually if the OC is not stable, you can either push more voltage to try (might still not help) or go a boost bin (13MHz) lower.
    But honestly, leaving PrecisionX (or Afterburner) open in the background does not hurt at all, and it can monitor temperature, power draw, voltages, if your GPU is hitting any of those limits etc.

7. Steve30x

Steve30x Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5700 XT
    Honestly. I didn't touch the voltage. The GPU was getting toasty enough (Around 74 - 80C) with stock voltages and overclocked and I looked at the voltages and I hadn't a clue where to start with it. Theres a whole lot of voltages in the voltage table and I didn't want to touch that in case I messed something up.

8. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    If you are temperature limited (with above 70°C you can say that), and you run 1466, that's already pretty sweet. No loser in the silicone lottery there. But what's keeping you from OCing more are temperatures then in the first place.
    There's lots of good information in threads here and on overclock.net for Maxwell overclocking btw, with a database of what the users were able to overclock to also iirc.

9. Steve30x

Steve30x Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5700 XT
    I can no longer get it to overclock. Any sort of overclock makres games freeze. Even a 100MHz overclock is a no go. It was good for about a year but I think its had its day for overclocking. Its a pitty though because newer games are pushing the GTX980 hard.

10. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    The 980's most limited by it's 4GB framebuffer. But yeah, I can imagine you're pretty limited at 1080p and stock clocks.

11. Steve30x

Steve30x Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5700 XT
    I'll be upgrading to an 8GB card as soon as possible. Most likely a Ryzen 56

12. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Overclocking's a whole different topic then hehe

13. Steve30x

Steve30x Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5700 XT
    I know but it would be nice to get something extra from my GTX980 for now but it just refuses to overclock anymore

14. Tuuhio

Tuuhio Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 @ 1500/2000
    My Strix 980 hits 1530MHz but some games are unstable.. kicking with 1500MHz.

15. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yeah I was using strix cards too. Running any special BIOS versions etc.?

16. Tuuhio

Tuuhio Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 @ 1500/2000
    Nope, stock bios. AFAIK it just needs too much voltage to hit higher clocks, that it's not worth it..

17. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    What types of overclocks could one expect with a Titan X (Maxwell), I bought them new 2 years back, got them for the same price I would have paid for the 980ti, thought the extra vram would be handy.

18. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
  19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Then it downclocked or when it hit the threshold it lowered voltage for 1bin and obviously 1466 or 1 lower bin 1453 at e.g. 1.16v wasn't enough anymore.

Btw these are proper clocks, flash only those not some random stable clock.

Maxwell bios tweaker boost section has them listed properly, Im on phone atm not 100% sure if these are correct..

20. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Those are right and I added a few more.

-Tj- likes this.