Codemasters releases F1 2018 on August 24th

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 15, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Codemasters announced F1 2018. The new version of the official Formula 1 game will be released on August 24 for Windows, the PlayStation 4 and the Xbox One, the weekend of the FORMULA 1 2018 BELGIAN G...

Codemasters releases F1 2018 on August 24th

2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    It's the same game over and over again. Gotta milk that license, I guess.

-Tj- likes this.
  3. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Not the same but the improvements have been minimal. That being said, go play F1 2011 and compare it to F1 2017, the improvements are definitely there.

It's not a sim but if you're an F1 fan, you buy it because it's the only officially licensed F1 game. I'll pass, I have my hands full with iRacing atm and I'll be sat here drooling over ACC until it comes out.

4. samir72

samir72 Member

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti
    I hope this time they come out with a demo and a new graphics engine, ever since FM7 came out, makes F1 2017 look like a cartoon. :D

5. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    I wish Codemasters would start making games in which U do not drive in a loop

6. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Like... Let's say Dirt Rally?

HonoredShadow likes this.
  7. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT

As you can see in F1 2017 it actually look's like a sunny day. In f7 it's muddy with whatever filter they are using.
    Look at the mini maps between the 2. F7 mini track (bottom left) looks like something found in a 1990 racing game compared to f1 2107.
    Have you driven a f1 car in f7? If not, there are no DRS zones on all tracks.
    Look at the suspension on F7. Do you think a F1 car hops up and down like that in the straights?
    And lets face it, the audio sound are horrible on F7.

There is a lot wrong with F1 cars, and cars in general in F7. As noted the physics is completely off. The cars are always unpredictable/unstable in corners.You can never hit the apex of any corner with consistency as the tires will slide. Steering is locked about 80 degrees (in other cars) until you slow down below 50mph where it can go about 160 degrees or so. Completely unnatural around chicans and sharp turns that require greater then 80 degrees.

Leaving the fuel and tyres on cosmetic reduces this but you have to switch it after few laps.

I liked F7 but the physics of it is so far off that I've seen many who play it go to either Project Cars 2 or GT Sport to get a their racing fix. F7 is now regulated to just playing rivals. And even there you find many who cheat. F7 Online is a complete and utter joke with the cheating rammers out there.

I'm no F1 201X fan but Codemasters has a much better polished, quality product over F7. And, I say it with confidence. There are tons of complaints over on T10 forums and they have all gone ignored. There is even Mega thread about it (as mods over there will take any new threads complaining about the game and put it in that thread). It's called the wish list or something like that.

That thread alone has over 1000 posts (unless it's been pruned recently). And with update after update not a single issue addressed. There is also a user created Mega thread "Why is separate not measured in time" or something like that. Where actual employees (assumed as their post get priority) argued against using time (0:00:00) for distance in feet. WOW!

At 1:35 mark you can see a really basic problem when racing from the rear camera view.
    In f1 2017, nearly all other racing cars, as the car turns left the camera pans right. As the car turns right, the camera pans left.

This prevents you from seeing the front end of the car "poking out" as it turns as you see in F7. Something told to T10 many times, yet they won't fix it. So, for some it's hard to drive F7 cars from the rear as that "poking out" of the front end as it turns is very distracting.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    HonoredShadow likes this.
  8. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    They need to improve the IQ, worst ever in a codemasters game. F1 2015 was just fine, dynamic time of day is not worth this kind of tradeoff. Also I´m not sure I´m ready to forgive them the handling on the mp4/4, it was hilariously smooth.

9. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Grand Prix 5 would be cool.

And a remake of this would be cool:

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    HonoredShadow and Cave Waverider like this.
  10. Nuk1e

Nuk1e Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX980Ti Strix
    Horay another codestars F1 game so what will this bring us mmmm let's see all new updated cars to the current season probably some career mode gimmick and oh yes ofcourse all new and improved bugs!.
    What amazed me the most about the 2015,2016,2017, games were the AA options my goodness FXAA TAA ????? seriously F1 2010 had proper MSAA and whe had less powerful computers back then but better AA ? now we get games that put vaseline all over your screen.
    Not to mention the crazy garage which hasnt changed since the 2010 game at all and with ever new release it seems you can use the same settings in garage for every track put maximum front wing minimal back wing raise suspension sky high thats not very realistic at all..... also the damage models were still crap in last years edition and ofcourse the lack for no VR support was a big oversight by codestars.
    Might give it a go if they added VR support in the 2018 version.

Cave Waverider likes this.

11. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    My two biggest concerns with this game, stupid halos and lack of VR.

12. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    No VR, no sale. Shame.

13. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Pulse 6800
    Wake me up when they release TOCA 4

14. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    No, this has different type of issue: u drive for like 3m and then another 5m u spend in menus watching spreadsheets

They should have been way past that, making pure fun arcade style games with good music, or sandbox style (Underground 1,2 or TDU) or I don't know endless racing games ? there are some on steam like OutDrive or something without wheels like Wipeout.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  15. C-Power

C-Power Member Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 White
    Personally I don't get why VR is such an issue in their F1 games, They have nicely implemented it in other racing games they made (Dirt Rally for example) and I can't wait to play a "proper" F1 game in VR (yes I know you can play F1 VR races in other racing titles, I have my fair share of hours in Assetto Corsa with the Ferrari F1's :D).

Anyway - Codemasters listen up, JUST ADD VR TO IT THIS TIME,. DANGIT! :D

Thanks.

16. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Well, it's clear you're playing the game wrong if you spend twice the time looking at spreadsheets.

You say Codemasters should make "pure fun arcade style games"... There's plenty of those. There's Forza, Forza Horizon, DriveClub, Trackmania, NFS games...

Dirt Rally is a fine rally game, in fact, it's the best rally game ever made.

On topic, I would probably consider F1 2018 but no VR means not money from me. I'll stick to VR in iRacing and Assetto Corsa, with the occasional slugfest in pCARS2.

17. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    Don't like Forza, DriveClub is reserved for PS4 so No, U can't play trackmania forever, and NFS games... in which u drop from the floor, the only NFS game that i was interested in was Need for Speed: The Run but this was for like 1 time play for me

18. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    What annoys me about the new NFS games is limiting controller support to basically a few wheels and keyboard. What's the deal with REMOVING being able to use a Joystick for racing? My X52 Pro works great with Dirt Rally and other racing games than support sticks.