Rage 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Carfax, May 14, 2018.

1. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Think about it for a moment, id themselves have to date yet to make a proper fully orchestrated open world game and have always gone down the hub based route instead while Avalanche have been pretty much crafting those and only those kind of games for a decade. It makes perfect sense for Bethesda/id to bring them in especially after the stellar work they did on Mad Max (JC3 was made by a different Avalanche studio hence why it was so poorly optimised by comparison) so the kind of open world game RAGE 2 will no doubt be will be a solid and fluid fps only one on a scale we have never seen from Bethesda before. That's to say Bethesda's previous open worlds while as great as they can look can often leave a lot to be desired elsewhere so having a team who have practically invented the open world genre as we know it today with the original JC2 back in 08 will undoubtedly be an endless step up to what id could have come up with without them.

2. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    i loved rage 1 a lot, would love to see this using id tech 6 or whatever

3. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yeah, Avalanche replied to a twitter post today...
    So yeah, Avalanche are developing with id producing/overseeing the title.

POSSIBLY.... because id are busy working on... Doom 2?

4. Shataan

Shataan Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090ti
    Rage 1 was a bit of a let down for me. But Rage 2 for peeps who liked that game is cool.... for them. Now DOOM 2.... I`d be pretty excited for that for sure.

5. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    So is there any word on what engine they will be using? I doubt they are going to be using IdTech 6.5, if Avalanche is going to be involved.

6. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Why?
    I'd bet it's still going to be using idTech of some form.

7. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Because I don't think any current iteration of IdTech engine is fully open world capable, whereas Avalanche's engine is already very capable. When Rage 2 was rumored, I was hoping that Id had done some work on the engine to make it capable of streaming large, open environments seamlessly without loading screens, but there's no evidence that that is the case.

8. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Why would it need to be "seamless" and without loading screens?
    Fallout 4 and Skyrim don't. They feature load screens whenever you enter various locations.

A game can be fully open world and not be seamless, and still need loading screens. And personally, I prefer RAGE's hub style setup. With the open wastelands, but settlements and bandit camps being loaded up as you enter them.

Also, you say there's no evidence, there's also no evidence that idTech6 is not capable or has been made capable of such a thing.

Avalanche's engine was great for Mad Max, but if there's going to be a new entry in RAGE. It simply needs to be on idTech. No other engine in the industry nails player movement, weight... that feeling and feedback... nothing other tech does it like id's engines. Given that Avalanche are handling this one, I'm already a little worried that we won't get the beautifully animated character reactions and deaths we got in RAGE. Since id hand animates everything.

9. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Because that's the technological trend for open world games.

I don't have Fallout 4, but from what I've read, the loading screens were one of the biggest complaints. Also, a bit of perspective. Skyrim, much like Rage was a last gen title. For last gen, loading screens were expected. But today, lots of open world games have no loading screens at all other than the initial load due to being 64 bit.

The larger memory address makes streaming much more effective as a lot more data can be streamed from memory.

Well to me seamlessness is important because it doesn't break immersion.

According to Tiago Sousa, the lead rendering architect of Id, Idtech 6 supports relatively open worlds.

I agree with this. I want them to use Id Tech as well, but only if the open world experience aligns with other modern games like AC Origins.

10. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Pretty much this.

Rage 2 needs to feel like an id game.

Also for whatever reason that "pink" theme they have going on worries me a little bit... :p
    post-apocalyptic pink?

11. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    frostbite is very good contender for weapon feel, but yes since wolfenstein the new order, yes they have mastered that aspect

12. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I'm all for a Hello Kitty edition of Rage 2.

AsiJu likes this.
  13. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    The pink doesn't worry me that much.
    With the first RAGE, it felt like they started to lean into the various bandit clans... but pulled back. You would have the Ghost clan, or the Shrouded or Gearhead clan. But, it was almost as if id were a little hesitant to really dive into that "crazy" aspect.
    It felt like they definitely went more in with the Scortchers DLC.

But, if RAGE 2 dives more so into the bandit clans and their levels of crazy... I think that could really add a lot to this world.

14. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    As long as they aren't aiming for "hip"

15. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    It's......beautiful! It's like Doom and Mad Max had a love child.

Keitosha and AsiJu like this.

16. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Hasn't been confirmed yet, but it definitely looks like it's not using IdTech. It's using Avalanche's inhouse engine, which has been very modified. Hopefully the collaboration with Id means that the game will use Vulkan and not DX11!

Also, it releases next year in the Spring.

17. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Some seem convinced that Avalanche have crafted the car side of the game while id has crafted the actual shooting aspect. The shooting looks a little loose but it's early days still. It's definitely using Avlanache's own engine of that I'm certain.

18. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    For me it felt like idTech6 since it felt as smooth as Doom and Wolf2. I hope it's that one even though I enjoyed both JC3 and Mad Max.

19. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Okay, I'm officially all hyped again :D

Looks absolutely brilliant! Combining id's and Avalanche's talent could indeed make a real action masterpiece.

Could be id makes first-person combat, character models and animation and Avalanche handles open world and vehicle combat.

Sorry for being a bit pessimistic earlier

(although should this flop I'll have no problem going about saying I told you so... nah, j/k)

Carfax likes this.
  20. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    I think they kinda going another direction from Rage 1 atmosphere...

They are making it more funny - fast paced (Doom like?)...o_O