ASUS releases BIOS updates for OLD Motherboards

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Blackfyre, May 13, 2018.

1. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    I own the ASUS Maximus VII Ranger and the last BIOS update was in 2015. I have just noticed that ASUS had released a BETA update on the 26th of April 2018. Upgrading it from version 3003 to version 3503 (Obviously the biggest iteration jump I have seen). The problem is, there is no change-log. And I am guessing, once upgrading to this version, there won't be rolling back. So I am hesitant to upgrade the BIOS in case of a performance hit, but at the same time I am interested in seeing whether I can get better overclocking results. Stuck in a dilemma considering there is no change-log.

I was wondering if anyone on old ASUS boards have got updates for their motherboards, and what results have they noticed after upgrading. Even if it isn't the same model.

Or if anyone here can open the BIOS file and have a look at what changes ASUS has made between the previous version from 2015, and the current 2018 version.

I also own a Gigabyte Z97X Gaming GT, but no such BIOS update has been released by Gigabyte, nor do I anticipate they will ever update their BIOS. Both motherboards are running a Core i7 4790K @ 4.7Ghz

Perhaps @Agent-A01 can have a look at the ASUS motherboards? If you can please. Thank you.

Direct Link to my motherboard's BIOS page:
    https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VII_RANGER/HelpDesk_BIOS/

EDIT:

I have found this news from ASUS, this is the Meltdown and Spectre BIOS patch, so will updating result in a performance hit on the 4790K and what is the expected performance hit?

https://www.asus.com/News/V5urzYAT6myCC1o2

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    And my Z87 Deluxe is excluded..

I just wrote a complaint about it to Asus support, I hope they send me fixed bios.

3. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    Id wait and see what others say about it, no need to be a BETA tester, unless you have nothing to do for several days and don't mind loosing all your info.

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Hmm, isn't this fix for fixed fix?

I saw one dated October 2017, I doubt they'll release the same microcode now. There was at least one or two more after initial release.

Lol well, not that I need it, i just feel upset because they excluded my 240€ mobo, while its basically still the same just like z97, I even used broadwell bios firmware on mine and it worked, but was buggy for haswell..

5. Guru01

Guru01 Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA RTX 2080
    So nothing for the Z77 motherboards?

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Only thing that is different is the updated MCU for haswell and broadwell CPUs; nothing else.

You won't get better performance or better OC.
    Most performance penalty is on disk performance

7. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    It may have been priced that high 5 years ago.

8. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    There is much higher chance you will get hit by lightning or win big cash in lottery then getting your PC hacked due to these exploits, so forget these updates and enjoy your faster PC :)

9. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Thank you for all the replies, I'll stick with the current version. Won't be updating the BIOS.

If anyone out there does update and actually gets better performance/OC out of the BIOS update (not necessarily with this board), do let us know.

10. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    I personally just updated my MCU and disabled the spectre protection; sometimes MCU gets other undisclosed fixes. And with spectre protection disabled you incur zero performance penalty.

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    So I asked Asus about Z87 chipset and this is what they had to say

well there is still slight hope, but the part "it's not affected" made me lol

12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  13. DAW40

DAW40 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    Im shocked, ASUS is the worst for drivers and support.

14. Driller_au

Driller_au Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Airo
    Just saw yesterday the new bios for X99 and downloaded it ,read on the Asus forums it was ok . I am 2 bios versions behind atm so going to install .Going away for a few weeks will report if I have any trouble when I install

15. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Still no new BIOS for my Rampage 5 Extreme.... yeah well played Asus, screw you, my next mainboard won't be Asus anymore. And not Intel :D

16. DAW40

DAW40 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    ASUS is #1 and Gigabyte is #2. End of story. As far as drivers and support ASUS is last place and Gigabyte wins with that.

17. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Not sure what I'll do with my next big build (probably Zen2), either go Gigabyte (which has a notorious reputation about their BIOSs), or MSI which I had back in the day and was fine. Just went Asus because I thought I need to be a big huge overclocker, screw that, my rig's still more than fast enough at stock CPU / RAM right now.

18. DAW40

DAW40 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    That's kind of ASUS, the worst driver support company now offering firmware lol

19. ULTRALAZER

ULTRALAZER Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Rogue Strix
    I have an ASUS Z97-A. I've been using bios version 3503 for the past year or so without issue. However, I got a new mouse and keyboard recently. The mouse will not work properly in bios mode but I didn't know this until a few days ago. It keeps cutting in and out and cannot even be used. The keyboard seems to be fine in bios. Originally, the problems with the mouse were in Windows. A few weeks ago they started to cut in and out at random in windows. I actually thought I had a virus but my virus scanner came up with nothing and so did Windows defender. Then I got really nervous that I might have a bios virus...rare but does happen.

It was after all of that headache I noticed in BIOS mode the mouse wouldn't work. It's a lighted mouse and would turn on and off repeatedly...so fast that you can't use it. I ended up reverting back to my original bios from 2014/2015. The one the Motherboard came with and now the mouse works fine in BIOS mode and windows.

I did flash the BIOS to an earlier version from 2503 and both of the ones I tried had the same effect, the mouse would not work lol.

For those that read this it's a "Steelseries Rival 310" mouse. I have contacted Steel Series to see if they know about this issue but no reply yet. The keyboard is a Razer Cynosa Chroma. I had NO issues with the keyboard in Bios mode, only in windows when the mouse would start it's issues. all usb connected devices would act up in Windows. In BIOS it was only the mouse. My PC is old but it still runs great for most things regardless.

My only solution was reverting to the original bios which btw is already in your bios under EZ Flash update. You just need to find a file .CAP at the end of it in the EZ flash utility. Any newer Bios version CAN BE undone.

20. ULTRALAZER

ULTRALAZER Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Rogue Strix
    As an update to the above noted stuff....DO NOT USE ASUS BIOS V3503. All of my USB ports were failing under that particular bios. I reverted to the original bios my motherboard came with which was like 1205 or something like that and I've had no issues. What is strange is that I've had that bios on my pc for more than a year...possibly two at this point and I'm just now having issues. It was so bad that the bios itself wouldn't let me even change the boot order. The original Bios the computer came with was automatically stored within the EZ Flash bios updater in the newer bios version. Once I reverted to that version I've had no issues with any of the usb's or any other component.