Nvidia might overhaul GeForce GTX 1060 with GP104 (1070)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 11, 2018.

1. Ryrynz

Ryrynz Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 960
    Yeah surely it'll be a Ti.. makes sense to slot something in as there's quite a gap between 1060 and 1070 price wise.

2. Mugsy

Mugsy Guest

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Pulse
    This is transparency for gamers. Make 5 products with the same name. So gamers know what they buy...

Havel likes this.
  3. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    mostly i was dunking on the nvidia claims that they just want to be transparent and crystal clear to consumers on what they sell to em ! :p

4. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    There is even one with 5GB on the asian market i believe.

5. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    NVidia should instead overhaul their control panel.

How much money goes into GPU R&D? Billions?

How much money would go into a better control panel? I don't think it's billions.

6. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Ohhh ... lol at the continuum milking for over 2 years of Pascal GPUs by Mr. J. Huang :p

[​IMG]

airbud7, -Tj-, RealNC and 2 others like this.
  7. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    That's gotta be a fake flashed card no?

8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Hey, that's a very nice cow.

I would milk it all day every day, if I had one.

airbud7 and chispy like this.
  9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Milking is a smart thing to do when nothing there that out-performs your product. Pascal reminds me of the 8800 series. Remember how long that lasted? Nothing there to touch it and it was similarly milked.

airbud7, tensai28 and chispy like this.
  10. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    I get this but it still doesn't make any sense. By now pretty much everyone who is going to buy a GPU of this generation, has probably already bought it. Sales can't be as good as they were before. Not providing proper sli support to at least the 1080 and up also seems silly if you really want to milk these cards. At least then eager 1080ti owners might put another in their system to get their 4k ultra 60fps. Eventually they are going to have to release the next generation or provide better sli support because I am not paying them anything until then and most likely neither is any other high end video card owner.

chispy likes this.

11. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Well, it is simple. Come on now, how about we just use our brains for a minute? What else do we want now? Nvidia renaming the gtx970 to gtx1040 because it's faster than the gtx1030? Or AMD rename the rx480 to rx575 because it's faster than the 570 but slower than the 580? It takes 5 minutes to do some research. And if anyone is ready to drop $300 on a GPU without doing research, it's their fault.
    The new 1060 will be aimed at people like yourself. If it's just short of 1070 performance and costs less, it will be a viable option for you. I don't know what you're complaining about. Are you annoyed with Nvidia offering you a choice? Why? If you're not happy, go buy AMD, why is this even an issue?

Most probably Nvidia have some dies that wouldn't pass for a 1070 so they make a new card. Or would you rather they throw those chips in the bin? What is wrong with people nowadays?

What 5 products with the same name? There's a 1060 6gb, 1060 3gb and this, which will be a 1060ti or something.

Or would you rather the same product with 2 different names? 480/580, 470/570 and I could go further into the recent history where AMD just rebranded old cards and sold them under a new name. Or is that OK?

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    It does makes sense from a business perspective. Their products are still flying off the shelves (whenever available). If you are selling all you can produce at a target MSRP, then keep at it. Have you seen Nvidias store page? In the last 6 months, no GPU in stock lasted more than a few minutes. Only a couple days ago stocks lasted more than a day. They are selling as much as they can make. Hopefully that is changing soon as they are seeing the crypto craze begun to subside. Only now we have the likelihood of new gen cards expected out over next few months. I would think same with AMD, they are selling everything they make too. Sadly in their case, they wont have any new stuff out any time soon.

13. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Sometimes people act like Nvidia owes them something. Like you said, they have these chips so they will obviously use them. They're a business, they're not here to bin these chips when they can make a card and sell it. I don't know why people act like they're offended by this, do they think Nvidia (or AMD) are in this to please anyone? Of course not, they're here to make money and all they care about is money. They literally live by numbers.

14. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Well if they are still selling then it makes sense to continue but eventually this is going to come to a halt after everyone has what they need. It still seems unwise to leave sli support the way it is and not coming out with anything new for existing customers. If there's no competition then they should be able to get away with minimal increased performance.
    Way to misinterpret a comment there. No one's offended nor feels anyone owes them something. Just seems the lack of ability of a new product isn't good for a business. Also sli support being the way that it is discourages gpu sales.

15. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Lack of ability of a new product? Why would Nvidia release a "new product" when AMD can't compete as it is? Why do you personally need a new Nvidia card? It's not like their line up isn't strong enough for you to chose from and get a considerable upgrade as it is.

16. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Why is everyone still talking about GTX 1065 or GTX 1060ti, this product does not need to be named differently because the performance is exactly the same as a normal GTX 1060 - Hilbert said so in this article. I won't bother typing out the quote again, but if you look at my last post in this thread it's there. This product has the same number of shaders (& other tech specs same too) as the GTX 1060 - it's no different. The only difference is that it's using the silicon of the GTX 1070, but then NVidia are disabling a load of shaders to bring the specs to the exact same place as the current GTX 1060 - it really is not a different product, and therefore needs no new name - it's just a GTX 1060 folks, nothing more, nothing less.

metagamer likes this.
  17. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    I totally missed that but if that's the case, I honestly don't know why people get so upset. Will read the OP carefully now just to make sure that is the case.

Just read the OP. So yeah, it's going to be exactly the same as the 1060, only using the 1070 silicon. Educated guess, the ones that didn't pass the QC to be a full blown 1070 so they'll release them as a 1060. Makes 100% sense. Even though many would rather see Nvidia throw these in the bin, going by this thread.

Robbo9999 likes this.
  18. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    Maybe Nvidia is clearing out one of their production lines at TSMC to get ready for the next line of GPU's or yields are so good (or bad if theyre cutting it down so much) that it just makes sense to use one die like AMD is in the CPU market.

19. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    It's aimed at people like myself? o_O I own a 1080ti like it says in my profile (and under my username). Of what use would I have for this?
    Maybe because the 1080ti can't maintain 60fps at my displays native resolution (3840x2160).

I'm thinking the same. You might want to pay a little more attention before posting next time.

20. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    Hope you said this when AMD did the same with the 7xxx--2xx-3xx line and didn't tell they were just rebranding GPUs. .)