-----

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Worther, Apr 26, 2018.

?

What, in your opinion, is really the culprit?

1. Hardware (write in the comments below)

2. Software (write in the comments below)

3. Games themselves

4. NVIDIA Driver

5. Windows OS

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Worther

Worther Member

GPU:
    some
    X Hero haven't HPET option in UEFI. In Win10 it disabled by default. So, it's not a possible fix.
    Are you kidding? My rig in hard stress tests can't consume more than 450 W. My UPS can handle 720 W. And I tried to test performance without UPS — no changes. My AC fluctuates between 220-240 V, no faults here.

2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    That is correct, UPS has nothing to do with it. All it does is supply power to PSU.

3. Worther

Worther Member

GPU:
    some
    I only had BSODs when overclocking the CPU more than 5.2 GHz because of the throttling in AIDA64 stress test.

About what cleanup you're talking? I use Windows Disk Cleanup Tool, but it doesn't affect performance at all.

I've already recorded MSINFO32, you can view it by following the folders in Google Drive.

4. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Yes, your UPS can provide 720W steadily, but I think what HeavyHemi wanted to say is your UPS is not capable of protecting you in the case of an outage the way it should. If you get an outage better have scripts in place to immediately shutdown your computer, otherwise it will shut down dirty shortly after because it has no juice left. I do not think he was referring to your issue when mentioning the UPS.

BTT:
    Because you tried different approaches with different OS, your issue indeed seems to be hardware related. Another way to identify issues is the "min2max" approach (start at minimum, expand to maximum). Just try to boot up with the bare minimum components you need to boot: board, CPU (+cooler, sure), 1 stick of RAM, OS drive, graphics (prefer onboard first, then add discrete later).
    Mount, disconnect LAN (!) and boot up.
    Do a fresh install of your favorite OS (I would prefer Win10 1709, I heard there are a lot of issues on 1803, you can still upgrade later on).
    Install the bare minimum on drivers (chipset, RST(e), IntelME, GFX, sound), do not connect LAN yet! Otherwise Windows will download all sorts of stuff / drivers / patches / "apps" ... you do not want that right now!
    Install a game for offline use where your issues happen often (no online play because NO LAN!!) and try it. Does it run OK? Do you see any spikes or notice any stuttering?
    ==> YES (stuttering or else) ==> power down, exchange 1x stick of RAM for the other you have, power up and try again
    ==> NO (no stuttering or other issues) ==> error is on one component you haven't installed yet. ==> power off, install more components, power up, test, add others ... until you get to a point where suddenly your errors show up. You have found the issue any may remove it / exchange it / else.

If you exchanged the RAM stick and there is still the same issue, try updating the BIOS to the latest version. Read the changelogs, is there anything new? "Better stability" or something should be worth a try.
    If issues continue to exist, try running your components piece by piece in another rig (some friend, your parents, somebody else) where your components would fit. Test them one by one to rule them out one after another. So you should be able to minimize the area where you are looking for to a minimum. I think at last you will have difficulties to find someone with a compatible board or CPU to test your components with (happens to me every time! :) ). But if you definitely can rule out everything else, you could return / RMA CPU and board, possibly with RAM and get new ones. Still better than to send back every item you bought one by one because you cannot find the issue.

Other approaches:
    - Check the Event Viewer for suspicious entries. "Could not save ..." "Error while accessing ..." and stuff like that could point to your hardddisk / SSD for example. "Application crash / hang" could be CPU, RAM, SSD/HDD ... and so on.
    - Did you try other drivers? "Newest" is not always "best". That especially counts for Intel RST (Rapid Storage Technology => your drivers for SSD/HDD/caching), NVME (=>install the Samsung NVMe driver, it's version 2.3 atm.), Intel ME (Management Engine, keeps your hardware together, does monitoring, interferes with components, provides Watchdog timer for hardware failures, etc.) and GFX (NVIDIA: new driver - new problems, AMD: old driver - old problems, new driver - old and new problems)
    - Are temps OK the whole time? Nothing to worry about? Temp throttling of SSD? CPU heat issue? GFX?
    - If everything runs smooth as long as you are not connected to the internet, try this after installing everything you can offline (and test for stutter and stuff). If it happens AFTER you enabled internet, this could be a good indicator for some Windows Update (patch, driver, else) bullshit.

It is really sad to read about a 5k$ rig with those issues you describe. I hope you get it fixed ASAP. Heads up, you can and will solve this! ;-)

Noisiv, Worther and fantaskarsef like this.

5. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    so where's the video?

6. Worther

Worther Member

GPU:
    some
    In the progress.

airbud7 likes this.
  7. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Well I see this post on a few forums around the interweb thingy.Too bad OP is not getting more help to fix his problems.He has really hit all the best sites for trouble shooting in the last month.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...c/51fb1918-dbca-4369-9b51-1bd57fde24cc?auth=1
    https://forums.geforce.com/default/...help-fps-drops-amp-stuttering-on-high-end-pc/
    http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3681322/fps-drops-stuttering-high-end.html
    https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...ops-stuttering-on-high-end-pc.18816568/page-5

Here is some simple advice,OP you have one of the best PC gaming computers you can get,maybe you are to OCD about these thing.Just enjoy gaming by turning off all the monitoring stuff but I understand that gaming would not be as fun if your not looking for something wrong.

Real truth is that everyone has some problems one way or another with lets say Nvidia,Windows and gaming whether they see it or not or will admit it.I personally have problem with CPU and GPUs not fast enough yet to provide a constant min 60 FPS in gaming even with good frigging equipment ,drives me nuts but I still game alot.
    So just enjoy gaming for what it is worth a time wasting experience and getting lost outside the real world.

airbud7 and sykozis like this.
  8. Worther

Worther Member

GPU:
    some
    I finally recorded all HM logs in CS GO & Fortnite, also have retested all other games with older & beta NVIDIA drivers (385.69, 385.12 BETA & 382.53).

Bad news:
    1. There are no noticeable improvements in eliminating stutter using any other drivers. GTA 5, TW3 and PUBG (for e.g. only).
    2. There are SOME annoying spikes in Fortnite BR but they're not so frequent.
    HM Logs:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ULxP2IRVD-esOUIESc9gHVo5FOlXGIn-

Good news:
    1. There are NO frametime spikes in CS:GO offline battle WITHOUT any bots. But there're noticeable in Community Servers even with low ping, maybe, it's server or player amount related. Don't know what's wrong with online CS playing. Tried Steam version and pirated one, no changes in performance.
    HM Logs:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BaoQVGbbNPg1awHhGfvD6YzFcqbmrIrM

2. NVIDIA driver 385.69 (Sep, 2017) helps a bit to reduce spikes in GTA 5 and PUBG. Frametime graph is more smooth. Maybe it's random event and driver isn't related to this temporary frametime "smoothness". You can compare logs with different drivers and make conclusion am I right or not.
    PUBG HM Logs with 397.31 driver:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NN8FuX05oKRXXWyoE-0wLsG10hJDUgho
    PUBG HM Logs with 385.69 driver:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gQlE3ZD6UFfhcJrSmocx1FUyUqs-EgdX

Questions:
    1. What do you think about all these tests?
    2. Can NVIDIA drivers be the only one culprit by following the new results? Or it's more game related?
    3. What another working fixes should I try to make a workaround if it's game related?

P.S.
    I play GTA 5 single player only, not multiplayer.

9. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    So no CPU core(s) spikes to 99% (or drops) during FPS drops.
    And you already tried with (minimum?) fresh install.

damn...

try LatencyMon as suggested before. maybe Proces Explorer.
    and keep everything at minimum/default (both hw and sw) as mentioned before

I have same mobo/cpu and everything has been superb. (other than killing my CPU ROTFL! long story...)

So whats the verdict when switching to HD7770?

10. Worther

Worther Member

GPU:
    some
    TLDR: Issues almost disappear with AMD GPU! I assume it's 100% NVIDIA driver or card failure.

I've tested games with AMD Radeon HD7770 GPU.
    I'll be write Update 5 tomorrow with more details.
    If you want some info before full Update 5 change-log — you can check MSI AB .hml logs recorded with AMD.

Hardware Monitor logs: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1riQbrv0E7QhWGAoXxnlmvmkmmdWMRDb7

Important Edit:
    I have already returned to NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti and tested Team Fortress 2. Everything was smooth and without spikes BUT at the end of last log recording frametime started jumping every 0.1-0.5 sec to constant 18.7 FPS! Something really goes wrong.

Team Fortress 2 logs (GTX 1080 Ti):
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GgXC-kbaqWJO8WBgn5T4HdH5oOqT2YuB

Extreme spikes at the end of logging (screenshot):
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZZISlFClcQMHjSmAcZu9GeSgbxAuIl2p

11. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Good lord man this is one massive thread. At this point just do a complete windows reformat and new installation, and don't bother installing MSI Afterburner.

typhon6657, airbud7 and endbase like this.
  12. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    3090FE + EK Block
    or any other monitoring software.

airbud7, endbase and jbscotchman like this.
  13. Worther

Worther Member

GPU:
    some
    I really need MSI AB because I must configure a fans curve to keep my GPU cold. Also to increase power limit to have better performance. AB doesn't affect performance when HW monitoring is off.

14. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    tough case...
    while faulty hardware is possible, bad hw should show itself in other areas as well, or at least more clearly

so I chose "Software"

whether NV driver, Windows or 3rd party, I have no idea. proly NV
    although going with the usual suspect is not always the best... my rig died (everything brand new cept GFX), ASUS said check DDR4, and then RMA the mobo(I swear!). I refused and blamed CPU (of all things), turned out I was right

SOMETIMES DEAD IS BETTER!

15. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Install windows 7 and test it.

16. Worther

Worther Member

GPU:
    some
    Have already tried. Read thread more accurate.

17. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Way too much to read. ;)

18. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    I think you are chasing ghosts at this point.

jbscotchman likes this.
  19. Worther

Worther Member

GPU:
    some
    Lol. Any proofs?

20. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Are you running these games on the SSD or your Mechanical Hard Drive?? Also what drive is Windows installed on?

I had stuttering all the time until I got rid of all the mechanical hard drives in my system.. Most games now use data streaming to load data in during gameplay. On a regular hard drive it takes time to load in assets, textures which can cause stutters while the game loads these in. This will of course still happen on a SSD but it's significantly reduced as the access speed and transfer rate on SSD drives is significantly faster.