GeForce Hotfix Driver Version 397.55 Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by masterchan777, May 3, 2018.

1. hemla

hemla Master Guru

GPU:
    nvidia
    Windows 10 does have it. Drivers are downloaded and installed upon OS installation. They are stored in "\System32\DriverStore" directory and no matter what you install, Windows will use them as fallback drivers.

2. Fumz

Fumz Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080Ti sc black icx
    Have you ever used DDU?

3. hemla

hemla Master Guru

GPU:
    nvidia
    Do you know what Windows 10 does when it doesn't like your current display driver and there is no rollback driver in "Driver Store"? Let me tell you - it swaps to "Microsoft Basic Driver".

4. Fumz

Fumz Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080Ti sc black icx
    Can't tell if that's a yes or a no?

Look, I acknowledged that having windows install a driver was annoying as hell two posts up; I also listed two ways to get around that behavior. Have you tried it remains the question? If the answer is no then just say so; no need to create straw men... and just to humor you, because you set him up in a nice pair of overalls, no, I've never had 10 decide it doesn't like a driver and revert to ms basic drivers either.

5. hemla

hemla Master Guru

GPU:
    nvidia
    I think it's obvious that it was "yes, I know what DDU does" and "yes, I've tried it". Also I did much more than what is written here but I think it's too much off topic already.

My point was that Windows 10 has automated certain processes and can perform those tasks without notifying user. And those are from harmless to critical.

Speaking of SuperFetch, the way it works in Windows 10 might cause slowdowns in games on certain system configurations.

6. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    ^^SuperFetch is enabled. Why we should disable it? Make no differences.

7. hemla

hemla Master Guru

GPU:
    nvidia
    Because SuperFetch can work in background when you are gaming. So if you have plenty of free resources left it won't matter or maybe even make things better. But if your computer is struggling with game then SuperFetch will strain it even more.

I did not say to disable it. It's actually very strong Windows 10 feature, at least compared to SuperFetch implementations in previous Windows versions. Probably main reason for reported Windows 10 "snapiness".

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  8. Fumz

Fumz Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080Ti sc black icx
    You kept repeating that 10 installs graphics drivers from its store despite the fact that DDU expressly prevents 10 from installing drivers after the reboot, so no, it wasn't obvious at all. In fact, it appeared as though you'd never used the app.

And my point was that yes, Windows behaves differently than 7, but once you know what it does and when it does it you can alter its behavior so that it doesn't. Case in point: never having a graphics drivers install unless you yourself install them.

Peach cobbler is better.

9. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I never had driver auto-update while win10 was in use or when I was installing newer drivers. I have upgraded from win7 >1511>,,,,>all way to 1803.
    The only time I saw a graphic driver change (or I should say user driver change as in graphic, USB3, SATA) is when an upgrade happens, one-time graphic driver updated.
    The only issue I have with disabling driver updates in Group policy is I do want MS drivers updated, not sure if that would stop them.

Anyway, it's pretty rare for me at least.

10. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I am currently using Windows 10 v1803 build 17134.5 and, as an Insider, have been for weeks now.

I was previously using the v397.31 driver without issue but installed this new hotfix driver just for testing. I should add at this point that my PC normally isn't left on all the time and I tend to shut it down after using for an hour in the morning (when I go to work) and on a night before I go to bed. However, due to my H drive corrupting last week, I have been redownloading a lot of my Steam games to this drive after a refresh format so my PC had been on for days continuously.

On Saturday, I noticed when I looked at Windows Update that an NVIDIA driver install for what appeared to be v390.77 was pending and waiting to be installed on reboot/restart!!! I already had a newer driver installed, v397.55, which specifically mentions a fix for this kind of issue so why was there an older driver awaiting installation? I managed to find the option to disable automatic device driver installs in Windows and rebooting I still have v397.55.

I'm not sure if this is an issue with Windows (it was a Windows Update after all) or some bug with the way the NVIDIA driver version is reported but is damn annoying to have to disable device driver installations to avoid Windows installing older graphics drivers on my machine, especially a driver that has a hotfix for this very issue!!!

I suspect that this issue is not new and I've only noticed it now because I have been leaving my PC on for days to download games.

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I remember when I first installed Windows 10 and the lost count of the number of times a new graphics driver would install in the background while I was playing a game, causing it to crash or even restart in the middle of playing it too! Things have improved a lot since then as Microsoft have made changes to the way pending installs work but I still get the odd hiccup such as this v390.77 driver waiting to install even though I was using v397.55!

12. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    Never had driver updates older then the one I had on windows 10 only newinstall then the first thing windows does is installing the latest from WU

13. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    +1 Windows update never install any NVIDIA drivers for me.

TheDeeGee and HonoredShadow like this.
  14. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Same here, though the longest time I haven't updated a driver was just six months. And that's on multiple desktops.

The only exception is my AMD Carrizo laptop, that one always reverts to the 2015 WDDM 2.0 release driver after the major build updates.

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Windows update servers drives based on a weighting system, a beta driver has not got a valid weight which means WU can install an older driver over it.

16. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    Can! just never happend in my case :)

17. Djavulen

Djavulen Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 8GB
    Never happened to me either, as far as i know WU will only install a driver if you haven't installed one yourself rather quickly after a clean install of Windows. The only time i guess Windows Update would install a driver even if you already have a driver installed is if yours is really old, or you're using a nvidia driver offered from Windows Update and there is simply a newer Nvidia driver offered from Windows update.

18. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Found my issue with 397.31/55...was my gpu oc all along.
    Backtrack to 381 driver release, setting 100mhz on the core would result in instability (2112mhz)
    Had to dial it down by 8 (92mhz) result (2104mhz)
    With 397.31/55 now I have dial it down to 90mhz (2100mhz flat)
    Tested the Quadro 397.31 yesterday and it does the same thing.
    Vulkan Beta 397.54 has no problems with the few extra mhz.
    Curious now to see how the next driver will react...now you'll think, latest driver brings more performance "theoretically", so a few mhz shouldn't matter....that's not the case, I'm losing graphics points.
    I'm not complaining, just stating my observations. :)

19. hemla

hemla Master Guru

GPU:
    nvidia
    What does it mean "expressly"? AFAIK it only puts some registry flags, something every user can do manually. I had myself also set Group Policy options to prevent driver installation and those didn't help either.

Well, if you manually install driver that is digitally signed and WHQL'ed then it will probably also end in "Driver Store" and will be treated by Windows as one of valid fallback drivers.

20. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Super
    this, exactly! i noticed this as well and enabled it manually. windows 10 does this in every feature update, forces me to go through every (i mean every) settings all over again.

---

for driver update, windows 10 will update your graphics driver with a newer version if your driver is very outdated. you can disable it in group policy without a hassle, or you can use comprehensive app like W10Privacy, shutup 10, GetWPD to do that and more fine things.