GeForce Hotfix Driver Version 397.55 Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by masterchan777, May 3, 2018.

1. hemla

hemla Master Guru

GPU:
    nvidia
    Windows 10 starts "fast" because it doesn't shut properly, just enters pseudo-hibernate mode on shutdown.

2. chesterfetid

chesterfetid New Member

GPU:
    970 GTX 4 Gb
    same as Windows 8

3. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    Everything is faster under Win 10

Nope, not ignorant nor oblivious since I've been building tweaking and using PCs for over 20yrs. The programs menu is not unusable - that would be windows 8 - "forces the use of cortana" - 100% wrong. Run/gpedit.msc - allow cortana - disabled. Fixed. Install spybot anti-beacon. Done. Who's the ignorant one again?

Even with fast boot off it boots faster and everything runs faster since it's a much improved OS over 7, which I stuck to for over a year after Win 10 was released. I was in the same boat of "NOPE" but glad I tried it out. Wouldn't go back to prehistoric Win 7 for anything.

Also, the pesudoe-hibernate you speak of is very handy, since you can completely power off your PC and it will still boot up lightning fast. Takes about 5 seconds for mine.

Passus and SpajdrEX like this.
  4. hemla

hemla Master Guru

GPU:
    nvidia
    You are comparing Windows 10 to Windows 7 like there would be no other operating system.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Wrong
    Anyone saying this is obviously ignorant. There are benchmarks going back years showing there are trade offs and some notable titles that are slower under 10.

As of Anniversary, the 10 all programs menu lists everything in a flat structure, there are no sub folders under the first initial folder which has made organization a nightmare forcing the use of cortana to search through it.

Atleast in 8 you were installing a startmenu to add one, not to replace a half arsed broken one.

False: This has been tested extensively on multiple websites and neither is faster under the same condition (Booted from an SSD with Fast Startup off, whether UEFI or Legacy subtracts/adds time. You are citing personal feeling as fact.

Is incompatible with WoL, makes the system unstable most of the time and is also disabled automatically when particular software is running and you wouldn't know it without using a powershell command to see if it was a 0x0 or 0x1 startup.

20 years of computer building means nothing when your head is in the sand.

Fast startup is unstable a good majority of the time, you're safer without it.

7 machines can be updated to 8.x and benefit from the improvements to dx and dxva using a few tools to bring back the windows 7 UI, only thing you won't ever manage to get is the pretty lockscreen, its all a solid color >:|

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  6. diamond-optic

diamond-optic Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW+
    I'm one of the 'yet to update to windows 10' guys... (I've been wanting to at least try it out via dual boot but I just cant ever find the time to actually do so) ...But this driver didnt play nice with my win7 system.

After updating to 397.31 I noticed that Aida64 would freeze up at some point, tray icon no longer did anything and the sensor icons stopped updating. So I tried this out to see if I got the same behavior.. But I ran into a host of more serious problems lol..

Feels very sluggish, even just in explorer I was getting a slight delay when browsing through folders.. Also had some very noticable wierd delay thing while typing, resulting in keypresses not being recorded in the correct order. And then a few minutes after opening evga precision and minimizing it, it would crash if I clicked on the tray icon. Only played far cry 5 for a few minutes using them, but it was very sluggish (even with 50-60fps) and quite unenjoyable.

Reverted back to 397.31, and those things have gone away.

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

This is the GDI handle leak issue, according to pidge2k/manuelg it is fixed in the next driver version.

8. chesterfetid

chesterfetid New Member

GPU:
    970 GTX 4 Gb

Ok, so seven > slower boot, but stable, I'd be ok with that ;)

I'm using CUDA for any X264/265 video encoding, but not really aware of all of this, what would I benefit of using DXVA ?? (any link maybe ?)

Thx

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    its more the Decoding side of things, you get access to the D3D11 video renderer, the WMF Low Latency decoders, browsers such as firefox can use accelerated layers more efficiently as constant buffers are available. Applications like sony's remote play are only functional under 8+ because of access to low latency streaming decoders

Windows 8+ also changes a few things in the driver model which makes it less likely to suffer driver crashes.

10. hemla

hemla Master Guru

GPU:
    nvidia
    One ugly example of Windows 10 behavior is automated setting/driver/etc modification without notice. So for example this latest update, 1803 has silently disabled "System Restore" for many computers.

11. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    This is why it's on the other drive and I barely boot into it. I've lost count the amount of twitch streamers this has happened to. Windows and forced driver updates.

12. Fumz

Fumz Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080Ti sc black icx
    Number of times a driver has updated on its own = 0.

This is still a forum for power users, right? Because at times like this it feels like I've stumbled into noobland. There's a setting for every complaint in this thread. Ok ok, you guys don't like 10... we get it. Stick with 7 for the next decade. What you do affects literally no one here. The part I don't get is why try and tell a bunch of guys who know better some stuff that ain't true and then pretend as if they're the one's who don't know anything? I don't get that?

https://s31.**********/49nxlciqj/settings.jpg

https://s31.**********/7ujt4huyz/policy.jpg

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Because they don't know better, half the things windows 10 proponents claim about performance can be disproven thanks to the efforts of many other websites who do the number runs on the things that these 'feelings as fact' users claim.

Because most humans are socially manipulable to believe things that aren't true just because a herd says so, while some of us reject the entire idea that the masses knows best and do our own thing.

The windows 10 development model is incapable of providing a product that is stable as the windows 7 and 8.1 releases still are.

@vf and hemla, i just discovered that the bthport.sys in 1803 is broken on some cambridge based devices, irl not equal or lesser immediately on switching the device off, there is feedback for it *SPAM* back to 17073

14. hemla

hemla Master Guru

GPU:
    nvidia
    Those settings from your screenshot do not prevent Windows from swapping drivers.

15. Exostenza

Exostenza Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 GT
    Was experiencing some issues and ended up using DDU for a fresh installation and now I have no issues. Seems that installing the hotfix over the WHQL was creating problems.

16. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The group policies at least helps but yeah if you were to uninstall the driver without disconnecting the network connection Windows Update will shortly download and install some thing it pulled from the update repository. Can be a bit annoying when you're doing a clean install and forget about this little detail. :D
    (Doesn't ask or anything, no info other than it running in the background after a few minutes.)

That it needs a group policy to reign in this behavior is a bit of a problem in the first place too, especially with how common the "Home" edition is for pre-built systems or laptops and those lack this feature entirely.

17. hemla

hemla Master Guru

GPU:
    nvidia
    In my case it didn't help neither. I had to fool Windows by physically swapping default backtrack drivers and there were plenty of issues with it. But it was one of first Windows 10 versions and I was using ATI card by then(with custom driver), I don't know what changed since then.

18. Fumz

Fumz Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080Ti sc black icx
    That's actually exactly what those settings do: prevent Windows from swapping/updating drivers. Recall that VF, who I was replying to, said that he watched streamers get jacked because Windows decided to update drivers while they were streaming. Again, the number of times Windows has updated my drivers at any time short of me manually updating drivers is still 0.

Does 10 behave differently than 7? Of course, but that does not mean you can't change the way Windows behaves.

19. hemla

hemla Master Guru

GPU:
    nvidia
    Your setting only "excludes driver from quality update". There's another setting to prevent drivers from being installed, and as I wrote above that didn't help me neither when I needed it.

Now, as for Windows 10 loading speeds, it's mainly work of SuperFetcher. A feature that many "power users" actually disable by default(note that SuperFetcher in Windows 10 is much different than in previous versions).

20. Fumz

Fumz Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080Ti sc black icx
    The first screen showed the setting "do not automatically download updates". If Windows doesn't have it Windows can't install it. I have never, not once, been prompted to install a graphics driver by 10, ever. I, like a lot of guys, found out there are extra hoops you have to jump through when manually installing drivers; you have to either disable your nic, which is just a couple clicks, or you run DDU and it will disable automatic driver installation until the OS is updated again. Was that annoying as hell? You get no argument from me on that. However, you deal with it once until the next os update through ddu or you turn off the nic. Not a deal breaker.

That said, I have seen guys who were prompted to update graphics drivers in the middle of a gaming session, but that wasn't a 10 thing, it was a GeForce Experience thing. They forgot to deselect automatically download latest blah blah.

I have no clue why you're responding to me about boot times? 10's cold boot speed seems about the same as 7's did. It's been a while. 10's reboot speed is faster than 7's. For some reason that's fresher in my memory.