Intel Has to Delay Patches for new Spectre-NG Vulnerabilities

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 7, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Last edited: May 7, 2018
  2. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Ok, not going to install anything related to it, so they can postpone it indefinitely :D

3. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    What happened to the "24 hour response time and then we release the information to the public"? :p
    Making something safe is hard, but they better step up their game and release the patches already.
    And goodbye Intel performance lead ahahah.

HonoredShadow and SpajdrEX like this.
  4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    [​IMG]

Have a feeling we've not seen the last of this.

Robbo9999 and SpajdrEX like this.

5. BigMaMaInHouse

BigMaMaInHouse Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1080Ti AMP Ex
    LOL, Intel gave us tick and tock "upgrades" for each new gen for past 10 years, and now with each vulnerabilities patch they are goin tick and tock backwards lol.
    If this trend continuous- Hilbert should make "AMD FX-8370 comeback" review and it could be really funny review :).

Fox2232 likes this.
  6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    This has been theorized a hundred times over. Even a decade ago it was thought that Intel was creating NSA backdoors; this is nothing new or surprising. There's no definitive proof that these vulnerabilities are related, but it's easy to assume they are.
    Also, not every CPU is affected by these vulnerabilities, because:
    1. There are a handful of architectures that don't appear to be affected at all (such as MIPS).
    2. Of the CPUs that are vulnerable, not all of them have all vulnerabilities; Intel just happens to have the most serious and easily-exploitable ones.
    3. There are plenty of devices that don't have enough input control to be affected.
    I think it makes sense - the last time they released a patch for Spectre and Meltdown there were functionality regressions. They're making sure that what they're doing doesn't cause problems. Delaying the patch for a few days is not enough to help anybody's "ghosting" efforts.
    *facepalm* the only thing that's unreal is this "Shadow Goverment" you speak of. But let's suppose I'm wrong - why do you care? What exactly are they going to do that's of any concern to you?

tensai28 likes this.
  7. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Delayed because they have nothing to put in his place.What new security holes to work with their cpus? :D

Sky-Kaby-Coffee Lake are builted together with Windows 10.So think about the consequences working together.Mass surveillance.

8. bombardier

bombardier Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 Phantom
    It would better change the name of the company and the brand..., ha, ha :) Spectrum processor!

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Spectral recessor?

insp1re2600 and sykozis like this.
  10. isti84

isti84 Guest

GPU:
    RX480 4GB
    For me the main concern is that these exploits are known for the intel hardware designers for at least 4-5 years. I cannot imagine why they did not fix these exploits. What is the cause? What was their purpose?

11. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Rectal processor, because i think we all feel like we have been shafted , pardon my French.

sykozis likes this.
  12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Now I really wish one of the exploits were called "rectum" with the slogan "a different kind of backdoor".

Well the performance losses would be a major reason. Considering Intel hasn't really had any significant performance-per-clock improvements since Haswell, it'd look pretty bad for them to release a new product with worse performance. And then what would they do to explain that? Security purposes? Because then that suggests previous products weren't secure. So to me, it makes sense Intel would intentionally sweep the problems under the rug and hope nobody discovers them.

airbud7, sykozis and Fox2232 like this.
  13. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^^Intel's new Rectal Processor, because when you want to feel like you have been shafted, make it Intel inside. :p

yasamoka, airbud7, sykozis and 2 others like this.
  14. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    Don't worry folks, INTEL will fix this by stealing more talented AMD workers and they will pull a monopoly tactic and will be back in business.

15. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    We laugh hard here,but the guys who take care of a data center,web server-mail,etc, they dont.They will have hard times with the Intel Xeon cpus.
    If Intel will mitigate AVX/2,they're doomed.

16. bombardier

bombardier Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 Phantom
    Right! I want my money back. Lemon...

17. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    They don't need spectre. They have facebook :p

As with anything, things are never quite that simple

18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I am laughing, because comments here are funny. And I know exactly what's coming. I've seen effects of 1st patches and feel consequences even today...
    So, what coming after following patches? HW refreshes. And guess whose CPUs are going to go into those data centers? Yep, again intel.
    Somewhere for some smaller company there may be AMD server here and there. But in big business, you do not move to AMD as they are unable to supply required volume.

So intel actually getting boost in data center revenue. At least AMD is getting small part of pie.

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    more issues that are nearly impossible to get any critical data with.

20. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    America=the world? o_O