GeForce 397.31 WHQL Game Ready Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by peppercute, Apr 25, 2018.

1. grabibus

grabibus Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090
    I just updated the OS yesterday to 1803 (Windows Pro version).
    I have one issue in COD WWII Multiplayer only at that time : GPU usage was 95%-98% with former windows 10 version.
    Now, it is more likely 66%-85% (Depending on the maps) and I have lost a huge amount of fps !

This occurs only on COD WWII Multiplayer for me at the moment.
    BF1, Overwatch, etc...are running as with last windows 10 version.
    Timespy is giving usual scores for my rig (As with former windows version)
    Even COD WWII Campaign is running at 98% GPU usage !!!!...

But something weird is happening with COD WWII Multiplayer.

Someone else with this issue ?

Maybe I will try to roll back to 391.35 WHQL to see if it helps...

2. grpm

grpm Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050
    Have you considered updating to a more stable version of Windows 10? Oh wait...

3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    What about cpu usage is it higher now?

I noticed higher then usual cpu usage that was ok with 391.xx in COD BO3, DOOM, GTA5 to name a few. Cpu heats more and I noiser fans, MSI afterbruner osd confirms it too, more in 60-65C territory vs before 55-60C

4. grabibus

grabibus Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090
    No, no particular increase of CPU usage (i7-5930K@4.7Ghz with HT enabled).
    => Around 50%

So, I rolled back to 391.35 WHQL and GPU usage of COD WWII Multiplayer still lower, so issue not solved.
    In some parts of the game, I loose until 40% fps..

It is clearly Windows issue...as only COD WWIII Multiplayer is affected....

By the way, rolling back to 391.35 soved one issue for me :
    with 397.31, I could change anymore the turbo frequency of my ASUS PG278Q through its switch (To switch from 60Hz, 120Hz and 144Hz, and vice versa).
    Now, with 391.35 it is possbiel again.

Also in GPUZ, 397.31 was shown as "Beta".
    391.35 are shown as "WHQL".

Last edited: May 4, 2018

5. Fumz

Fumz Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080Ti sc black icx
    Have you tried disabling full screen optimizations for that game?

6. grabibus

grabibus Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090
    Yes, it doesn't help.

7. klepp0906

klepp0906 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080TI
    I cant argue with that.

But its only part true. I have no choice to run SLI due to the resolution I play at (yes my choice as well i know)

but it does work relatively well most of the time. Actually its worked every driver ive tried for a long long time now. Just broke either due to driver, or due to wddm 2.4s part in said driver. Rolled back and its fine again.

Im not young anymore though. My super loud fans and super crazy overclocks were the first to go in the name of saving energy. Next it'll be my 7 screen set up and at the same time probably back to a single card assuming theres something out there with enough chutzpah to melt 4k at the time which is probably likely enough.

Either way, nvidia could do a litttle freaking testing. I mean how much do they rake in annually? A few dozen test rigs and a couple employees to man them is too much?

Look at the HB bridge thread in the surround forums. 30 pages long. Ever since driver 368.51, a hotfix from 2 junes ago, nobody has been able to run a dual card SLI config (mind you thats the only supported config on nvidias own website) unless they dont use an HB bridge. I'm running with all myd isplays connected to the top card as we speak, and all the extra heat that entails.

TLDR
    the "cool" factor is no longer worth the trouble. And for what nvidia charges, coupled with the fact they market this stuff and both technologies have had a decade+ to mature, its a travesty.

8. hemla

hemla Master Guru

GPU:
    nvidia
    So you claim that Windows 1803 is culprit, while Windows 1709 was fine? Because I have noticed few other people also report 1803 performance issues.

9. Fumz

Fumz Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080Ti sc black icx
    I just ran through 3 multiplayer maps. Gpu usage was between 40-70% the entire time. However, fps was between 135-160 (despite cap of 150). The only setting I turned off was depth of field. I left everything on the defaults, which was extra, high or on. I have no baseline as I never really got into this game. I reinstalled just for this, so I have no clue what gpu usage was prior to 1803?

10. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Not that I want to diss your experience, but what?

I have two 1080Ti with an HB bridge -- all works fine.

Also running this driver -- no issues with SLI at all.

In fact, the only issues I ever have with SLI are the odd game that doesn't support it without playing around with a few flags in Nvidia Inspector, otherwise about 90% of my games scale excellently.

If it helps, other parts of my system are an i7-3970X on an X79 board outputting to a 3440x1440 @ 100hz (hence SLI is handy -- about equivalent to a 4K res @ 60Hz GPU load, and I play everything max details).

I also have a secondary monitor hooked up -- Dell 30" 2560x1600 @ 60. No problems with dual displays.

Last edited: May 5, 2018

11. grabibus

grabibus Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090
    Yes, at least for COD WWII Multiplayer.
    GPU usage is now aroung 55%-80% (With 1709 was 95%-98%).
    I have lost between 30% and 50% fps.

All other games seem ok for me (BF1, Overwatch), even COD WWII Campaign GPU usage is 95%-98% as with windows 1709.

12. grabibus

grabibus Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090
    OK, so you have the same issue as me. With this GPU usage at 40-70%, I have lost 30% to 50% fps...(WTF !!!)
    On windows 1709, I had 95%--98% GPU usage.
    DOF is also "off" for me.

Can you play the campaign and confirm GPU usage around 95%-98% ? Thank you.

13. klepp0906

klepp0906 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080TI
    sli works fine here too. so long as i connect all my displays to the top card only. Not both cards as instructed on nvidias site and which also helps distribute load in a much more ideal fashion.

Worked fine on both cards until 368.51 or w/e (too lazy to look again but its been broken for years now on pascal)

A half dozen of us from the 30 page thread i referenced have already been in contact with a few nvidia employees for awhile but no bueno. They wanted to rma the bridge which they did with no dice.

Fwiw this was a problem on my old pc which was 4790k z87. I upgraded and replaced EVERYTHING but the video cards, and the same exact problem presents itself.

I can install 368.51 right now and move my displays to the bottom and be fine. Or ic an remove the hb bridge and use a standard bridge, and be fine.

same as about a dozen other posters in that thread i keep referencing :p

I was hoping it was a bios, been there done that. hoping it was a windows install issue. did that too. Finally figured it was somethign with the platform. Nein.

Of course the fact it literlaly stops at a specific driver and can be replicated gback and forth by swapping doesnt really need much more confirmation.

sorry for the book.

doesnt work period w/ this driver though. both cards loaded to 99% with this driver, same settings, both cards loaded to about 50&40% with 391xx

price one pays for niche builds i suppose. Just wish that if they are advertised, marketed, and supported, theyre actually supported.

14. Fumz

Fumz Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080Ti sc black icx
    Played as much as I could stand with all the cut scenes. Gpu usage was as low as 50% and as high as 97%. However, I forgot to cap fps at 150, and so fps was crazy high, even with only 50% usage. For example, breaching that first berm at the start of the game I was getting ~ 375 fps. At no point did it dip below 180 fps.

**edit**

I went in to try it with fps capped; however, in the single player there doesn't seem to be an fps cap. I ran through a bit more of the campaign and found that as long as fps was = or < 200fps, gpu usage was really low, just like in the multiplayer. I just ran through another 10 min and never saw anything above 75% gpu usage, all the while never dipping below 160 fps. I'm sure the rest of the game would behave the same... it's just not that graphically demanding and a 1080ti eats it up without much effort.

If you're getting fps drops or losing 50% of your fps I'm not sure what to think? Low gpu usage, at least for me on 1803 with 397.31 seems to be the norm. I would not characterize it as an issue.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Can you tweak config.ini file?

COD BO3 has 2 cpu specific parameters and I noticed If I change "serialize render" it stabilizes cpu usage, less cpu spikes and smoother gameplay.

16. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Yeah I need to connect all displays to the primary card as well, though it's been like that for as long as I can remember.

That is strange. I wonder if it's related to recent Win 10 fullscreen optimizations behaviour -- designed for all those nutjobs that want fullscreen acceleration in Borderless Windowed mode just so they Alt-Tab mid-game instead of, I dunno, playing the game. I mean.. are you playing the game or not playing the game? I digress.

SLI by definition needs Fullscreen Exclusive (as do other features like DSR). With FS optimizations on it absolutely fucks around with games. E.g for both Creators updates I had to ensure FS optimizations are disabled globally, otherwise I get behaviour like stuttering in-game (people with single cards are seeing this too), odd loads on SLI, and crap like a game starting windowed bordered even though its setting in-game is 'Fullscreen Exclusive' and needing to re-set the settings every time. procreating debacle Microsoft.

This fixed all problems though:
    Regedit:
    Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\GameConfigStore

Set:
    GameDVR_FSEBehavior to 2
    GameDVR_FSEBehaviorMode to 2

Reboot. I don't know if it will help, but it can't hurt trying. I'm on 1803 now and every game is smooth as a baby's butt again with and without SLI.

snight01 likes this.
  17. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    That is what I have now, I can't say what settings does it but I have everything disabled in settings DVR and Game mode.
    Its funny, I see so many reports on FSO but when I try toggling I just don't see any difference in performance.
    It's all smooth with games I have except for some Net issues that might pop up on a server.

I guess my system isn't fast enough for me to tell, I don't run Vsync on so that might alter results.

18. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Just checking, disabling these is setting them to '2', a value of '0' is enabled.

You can also try directly on the .exe's properties to force disable it.

Also not all games will show a difference, it depends on the engine and if they're already using exclusive fullscreen or relying on Windows' borderless windowed mode.

19. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I was setting it in the exe properties with BF1 and BF4.
    I tend to play games one at a time, not all at same time.
    Got BL2, FC3/4 installed to but those run good and I always run full-screen mode.

20. michaellinder

michaellinder Guest

GPU:
    2 x Nvidia GTX 1080
    The impact of GeForce 397.31's issues have spread into content creation. Same nvcuda.dll unhandled exception alert crashes Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2018, and every time a video file is closed in Potplayer 64-Bit, Version 1.7.10667. It's true for all video formats and spex including 4K. Clean Nvidia installs, settings tweaks, Safe Mode games, Device Manager manipulation — un- and re-installation of everything leads nowhere. I add my system's details to your growing body of work.

Thanks for the great investigative energy in this forum. So many other sites are simply shrugging off the same questions with deafening silence.

• Windows 10 Pro x64 1803 Build 17134.5
    • 16-core AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950x
    • 2 x Nvidia GTX 1080 FEs in SLI mode
    • Aorus X399 Gaming 7 motherboard
    • 64 GB G-Skill DDR4 RAM
    • BenQ 4K LCD @ 60 Hz, 2 x Asus 1080 VG248 @144 Hz

. [​IMG]

[​IMG]