AMD Invoking Sales Ban for ASRock Phantom Gaming Graphics cards in Europe

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 5, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    wait what ? why would they invoke a ban on asrock ? oO

3. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    maybe it has something to do with the other amd brands and exclusivity? they are probely doing us a favor anyway
    like that china only nv brand I forget the name but they got some wacky cards like one you can paint and giant coolers
    a swarm of brand banners back tracking back to asus lol sorry sorry

colorful that's it the brand I mean
    just remember the sky is not falling we should not care lol

Last edited: May 5, 2018
    Noisiv likes this.
  4. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    Who cares indeed when we have much better alternatives with competitive prices available already.

5. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    not only that cry babies yelling at crybabies would really suck
    like a episode of the whiners from Saturday night live

6. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    It's business and both these companies do the same s***. The difference is that Nvidia gave it a name and made it public knowledge.

rl66 and cowie like this.
  7. jdc2389

jdc2389 Guest

GPU:
    980ti 1408/3650
  8. prazola

prazola Member Guru

GPU:
    R9390XSOC / R9290DCU2OC
    GearBest I need you :D

9. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    How many exclusivities can you have and still call it exclusive, though? There're at least half a dozen brands available as it is, so it would be a stretch to say it's exclusive in any manner. It's impossible to say anything about this specific Asrock case since we don't know anything about their talks and agreements with AMD. I don't know anything about the mechanisms they have in place in the video card market. Do they need to guarantee to AMD they can deliver a certain amount of products to every market where they can sell? If they do, there's also the possibility AMD can't ship them enough GPUs. It's possible AMD would want to avoid a situation where there's a new brand available on paper but nobody can buy them due to a seemingly nonexisting supply, which is of course what was going on for a long time all over the world due to the bloody miners.

10. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Depend where you live...
    exemple: in here, RX Vega is a loreleï, lot of people are talking about but no one ever seen one, RX 570 4g is still the best we can have when not out of stock... and i am not talking about Ryzen, it's more hard to get a hand on one than on the latest Xeon.

And it's not because minnage , we have the full range of NVidia model since last crypto craze...

AMD were aviable when they were doing not so cool stuff (to not irritate red fan :) ) and now that they do nice thing they fail on distribution.

One more partner would help i think.

11. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    indeed... lol

Stormyandcold likes this.
  12. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    not any more that was years back.
    it was pergdon or something that was the mother company but publicly they are not connected

13. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    as many as possible if you make the chips and as least as possible if you sell them

14. dean469

dean469 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX480GTR @1385
    Being their first graphic cards, maybe they (and/or AMD) just want time to work out any potential problems before they bring them to the U.S. and EU markets.

15. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    [​IMG] Seems Asrock was pulling a quick one and aiming these at miners, with double ball bearings for longer fan life etc. I think AMD said oh no you don't, we don't want any more bad press, and the customers are mad enough about mining and silly Gpu prices already. So AMD put all their Phantom Menace..errr Gaming Gpu's on the naughty list for resale.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
    cryohellinc, HandR and Silva like this.

16. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    As the guy above me said, Asrock aimed the cards at mining and maybe AMD didn't like that marketing strategy.
    If for that reason, I'm glad AMD banned the crap out of them. They can frack off with the mining already.

cryohellinc and Fender178 like this.
  17. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I agree. Plus Asrock has gaming in the title of their cards and yet the segment they are advertising the cards for is mining which to me is fishy in of it self. And AMD probably thought the same thing as well.

18. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Asrock knows perfectly well why AMD is invoking this sales ban, their failure to include this is their response is a bit silly to me.

19. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Lol, same asrock guy is giving the reason. You cannot sign for something and then do another thing.

20. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I think this makes sense. I get the impression that a product's problems or criticisms in the Asian market aren't as much of a death sentence as they are in the western world. Maybe for a year or two AMD wants to see if ASRock can make a solid product and then sell them worldwide.

I doubt it's that simple. It wouldn't surprise me if the ASRock representative mentioned in this article isn't informed about decisions made made by the Asian division, people higher-up in the company, or AMD. In other words, the only time he needs to know about products being sold in the EU and US is when they're actually going to be sold there. So, maybe other parts of the company just simply left him in the dark, to imply that the products won't be sold there.