Nvidia pulls the plug on GeForce Partner Program

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by D3M1G0D, May 4, 2018.

1. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Looks like the GPP is no more.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nvidia-pulls-plug-on-geforce-partner-program.html
    https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2018/05/04/gpp/

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2018
    __hollywood|meo, alanm and Keitosha like this.
  2. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Shame

3. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Poor Asus and AMD, kind of in a conundrum. Go back to ROG or keep with Arez? :D

Solfaur likes this.
  4. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX5700 XT 8G
    It was just a matter of time before they did this. This is extremely good news for consumers.

HonoredShadow likes this.

5. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    How can they say stuff like this after branding their own stuff in such deceptive manners. They are the worst.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  6. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    It was damaging their rep so they pulled it. Although i doubt GPP has gone away fully but at least they made the change pretty quickly. They have massive market share as it is, no need to damage themselves with poor PR and draconian measures to sell their stuff. Just make good products and price them well and the trend will continue.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    airbud7 and alanm like this.
  7. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
  8. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Yeah I think ASUS came out more damaged than nvidia out of this whole thing...

9. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Poor GPP, RIP. You barely made it 1 quarter this year.
    I assume it was dead long before this announcement.

10. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    good news, nothing wrong with the way products are, providing people read about what they are buying anyway.

11. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Guess all the complaining and bad PR made a difference? :p

chispy likes this.
  12. Srsbsns

Srsbsns Member Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 64 Liquid
    So you are telling me this Geforcee Vega Extreme gamer edition max 2 was not a real Geforce card? Bring back the GPP. Im just a confused average consumer who doesn't know what they are buying /s

Keitosha likes this.
  13. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  14. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    It's interesting to note that there is no shortage of ROG/Strix AMD x470 motherboards--at least on ASUS.us (haven't checked the international site yet.) So what was AREZZ (sp?) all about, I wonder? GPP? Should be interesting to see if Asus has rethink about AREZZ. But this announcement by nVidia is so typical of the company--everything it writes about itself is over-the-top PR, even retractions and cancellations like this one (who could ever forget the nV30 "countdown" and the resulting fizzle?), which is a big reason I haven't bought a nVidia GPU since 2001--or was it 2000? Becoming ever more hazy. Color me unimpressed with nVidia--always have been, even when 3dfx and nVidia were in heated competition pre-2000. These days I care a lot more about bang-for-the-buck than I did then--maybe. And that completely shuts out nVidia for me--but it's more than that. It's the whole sordid history of the company from nV1, which flopped, onwards. Brian Burke's "PR" (he is ex-3dfx PR) reads like an 8th-grader trying to flatter his school teacher with a lot of childish hyperbolic gobbledygook...;) Yes, I know I'm warped when it comes to nVidia, but by gosh, they've earned it.

dean469 likes this.
  15. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800
    The fact that they're canceling it rather than dispelling the "rumors, conjecture and mistruths" leads me to believe that the conjecture was right on the money.

1maxrep12 likes this.

16. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    lol, gotta love it when people whine for literally no reason, and get their way. Good job people, worry about the things that really need to be worried about: Nothing.

17. flashmozzg

flashmozzg Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 4GB @ 947/1250
    That's too bad. I was hoping for an another unfair competition lawsuit (it was intel before).

18. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    AMD has its own partner program since 2015. Not talking about exclusive vendors, which is far worse. Sapphire, PowerColor, ASRock etc. They sure stuck with AMD not of their own will.

19. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    You'd think somebody buying a video card, which needs to be manually installed inside the PC, would at least know what they are buying. Nvidia is really, really looking down on people. Video card partners don't make the GPUs anyway, so I always thought the model brand names told more about the cooling solution or design, possibly also how high the product quality was among the manufacturer's internal selection. As far as those factors are concerned, they have got nothing to do with Nvidia or AMD.

20. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Well if that is all Nvidia was doing then they should not have forced the vendors to sign an NDA. Its their own damn fault for trying to create this super secret GPP what the hell did they think would happen. This GPP was a tactic to use other vendors gaming lines to be exclusive to Nvidia products aka ASUS ROG would only sell Nvidia cards and the AMD cards would have to be sent to another brand name other than ROG. Pretty nifty if you can pull it off as you have lines from various vendors like ASUS ROG that have good branding and recognition that you can now own for the GPU market.

By the way last week I was looking at buying a 1080 ti and got confused an bought a Vega 64....that has happened to no one ever. Nvidia makes it like it was some altruistic move to make branding clear, then freaking don't do it in secret, duh. You don't create transparent marketing by doing backroom deals and expect that to go well for you.