Samsung KS8000 65" SUHD 4K HDR Smart TV best PC gaming settings ?

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by chispy, Feb 11, 2017.

1. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  2. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    I would agree with that. Much better picture after 1220.06 update. Have had it installed for a week or two.

In case you guys are using Game mode instead of PC mode and the TV keeps switching back to PC mode when you want it in Game mode, try this:

Now the TV will NEVER switch. So much better for gaming on PC in Game mode.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    Sajittarius and chispy like this.
  3. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Thank you for the heads up , it works :) !

HonoredShadow likes this.
  4. sneipen

sneipen Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    Hi. I have this tv, had it for about a year or so. Or, i got 60 inch 7/8series.
    I use it for everything, netflix and pc gaming. Only thing i miss is higher hz, my previous plasma could do 100hz+. But gaming on native 4k siting 1-2 meters from it is awesome, gave me a holy crap moment the first time i put on a game, and i have moments im still get a taste of that feeling when i manage to run a game in native 4k with good textures and so on hehe.
    Im wondering, why is pc input better than the rest. Get the impression pc input plus gamingmode is better than just gamingmode on other inputs when reading here. Why and whats better, compared to just using gamingmode on a other input?

5. rossi123

rossi123 Guest

GPU:
    nvidia
    Hi
    what is the top hz please
    and for information the pc is like the mother of other devices so it makes sense when we say that the pc is better for the entries
    Subway Surfers Psiphon Hill Climb Racing

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  6. sneipen

sneipen Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    My tv does 60hz.

7. klimbo123

klimbo123 Guest

GPU:
    geforce 2 go
    try to update the tv system that happend with me

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  8. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    @TK423 Have you tried going into picture/expert settings/HDMI UHD color and turning ON for your HDMI port? That will open up more options.

9. sneipen

sneipen Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    Anyone else using this tv experience setting black level to low or auto gives much crisper black, contrast compared to normal? Normal black is more grayish, or washed out. From what i read, normal setting is supposed to give better color. For me it seems to be the low. Why is this?

10. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    It depends on what the source device detects as its connection to a display.

For computer applications such as games, web browsing/desktop usage on a game console or PC, Full Range RGB and display set to "High/Normal" HDMI Black Level is optimal. For source device that cannot change RGB contrast range, HDMI Black Level - Low is there to enhance the picture to "High/Normal" levels.

High/Normal = display expecting 0-255 contrast range with no enhancement/faking

Low = display expecting 16-235 contrast range while enhancing to the display's native 0-255 range.

When using YCbCr colorspace, the black level setting on most Samsung TV's gets greyed out as YCbCr is designed to only work in one range (16-235).

PC input label (and DVI PC, albeit with a bit more delay and no sound on some Samsung TV's) enable the TV to show 4:4:4 uncompressed chroma

I just setup a new Samsung UN50NU6900 4k TV for my company's conference room and the settings when calibrated for a computer are as follows (assuming no ICC profile is being used on the source):

Picture Mode - Standard

Backlight - depends on the lighting in your environment. Usually no need to go over 50% unless you are using the TV outside.

Contrast - 100

Brightness - 45

Sharpness - 50

Color - (greyed out in PC mode)

Tint - (greyed out in PC mode)

Picture Size - 16:9

Advanced/Picture settings - Anything with an "Off" setting is set to "Off" or greyed out due to PC mode.

Gamma/BT.1886 - 0

HDMI Black Level - Normal

Color Temperature - Warm 2

White Balance - This depends on the model's year. It changed some year after 2013.
    • A relative's 2013 UN60F8000 = Gain > | -50 red | 0 green | 50 blue |. Leave offsets at 0
    • My 2016 UN40J5200 and company's 2018 UN50NU6900 = Gain > | 0 red | 22 green | 44 blue |. Leave offsets at 0
    UHD Color needs to be enabled for 4k/60hz RGB 4:4:4 as others have already said. If the display flickers, try disabling HDMI audio on the source device.

These settings are what i have been using for PC-use on Samsung TV's since the 2013 UN60F8000.

You can test these settings with these images at this site: lagom.nl/lcd-test

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020

11. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    @Mda400

When you say "Black Level - Normal is the TV expecting 0-255 range and Low is the TV expecting 16-235 range.
    If using a device that can send full-range RGB, you want to set this to Normal on the TV and Full RGB in your graphics card control panel"

I have my KS8000 on normal 1080p @ 60hz. Nvidia driver on full. What is it I do with the control panel then? I thought this would be enough. Thanks for any help!

12. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    That is all that is needed to be done. graphics card control panel = nvidia driver.

HonoredShadow likes this.
  13. sneipen

sneipen Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    Yea, i read this. Normal is best. But for some reason it looks better on low. Blacker black, better contrast. You could think normal is lower range, and low is 0-255 range. I run RBG, 8 bit and full dynamic range. I can add that when driver has been set to limited range, i get somewhat same result as having tv set on normal. And full dynamic range = low.
    I have no idea why this is the case, if low is more limited. Its almost confusing because i googled this many more than once before seeing this thread. Iv seen some claiming low is best, because of some reason normal acted like limited. o_O