Steam Hardware Survey Shows Impressive gains for AMD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 3, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    There are some interesting movements to see in the Steam hardware survey, AMD is on the move with Ryzen, as numbers are rising in statistically significant numbers. A bit expected as recent earnings ...

Steam Hardware Survey Shows Impressive gains for AMD

Embra, airbud7 and StewieTech like this.
  2. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Good gains from Dec to date. But according to the chart, they're only where they were back In Nov 2016 (Bulldozer era). Still, unmistakable momentum and should continue to improve greatly. I hope they continue to get market share until they're about 50% vs both Intel and Nvidia. Thats when competition (tech advances, aggressive pricing, etc) gets to its finest.

3. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    16% is still obviously too little. The market would be far more interesting if the portions fluctuated between roughly 40 and 60 percentages. 30/70 would be a very good start already, but it's a long, long way to even that.

4. Vmhasegawa

Vmhasegawa Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 480 8gb
    Good to see a change... On the other hand, what the heck are those 0,16% using as video card? Matrox and VIA? Are they still a thing?

5. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I expect this AMD cpu gains to be on a raise on every Steam survey going forward , as it seems people are definitely going AMD ryzen for their upgrades and or new cpus. Good ridddance !

Embra likes this.
  6. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I don't really trust the Steam Hardware Survey anymore. The huge bump for Intel and Nvidia in the past was never really explained (some put it down to PUBG in China, but who knows?) and this huge swing the other way is also similarly unexplained. Perhaps it's due to a change in methodology or the way the data is aggregated, but in general, I no longer consider the survey to be a good indicator of the market.

scatman839 likes this.
  7. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    Matrox, VIA, S3, quadro, firegl... also something what unfortunately is too common: user without gpu driver installed. Also fairly high intel's share comes from laptops with two graphics (intel+nvidia or intel+amd or just intel) and again odd behavior: many desktop PCs have enabled integrated intel gpu despite having discrete gpu installed and what is even more funny some people in such situation have their displays connected to motherboard ports instead of to ports on discrete gpu.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  8. buhehe

buhehe Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6700 XT
    It's also worth noting that due to high RAM & GPU prices, people are less keen on building or upgrading in general. When prices will go down, inevitably CPU sales will follow and I think AMD will gain the most from it.

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I highly doubt anyone using Steam is still using Matrox, VIA, or S3 GPUs. Quadros and Firepros would be categorized under Nvidia and AMD respectively.
    I think what may be happening are those who are running Steam in unusual conditions, like in Linux with open source drivers or non-Windows OSes running the Windows version of Steam through Wine.

10. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Dr Lisa Sue really did turn things around since she took over. I am a big fan of hers!

chispy likes this.

11. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Cool if they keep it up or else it will just end up being a sampling error.

12. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    I have the Intel GPU enabled for two reasons. To use quick sync (though not anymore) and to have my second monitor connected to it.

13. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    AMD closed the gap on IPC and pricing is good so i see no reason why the trend wouldn't keep going upwards.

14. FM57

FM57 Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2070
    Goldman Sachs' announcement will make cryptominers happy. And the craze will go up ... Again.

Whether that benefits Nvidia or AMD or both, I am not sure, but gaming is so 90's :(

15. ET3D

ET3D Member

GPU:
    Radeon 3870
    Really... I can't believe that some people still don't get that the percentage of AMD users goes up or down with the percentage of Chinese users on Steam. Why do people still give the Steam survey any attention?

16. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    That's great news for the CPU division, now we just need the GPU guys to mirror it.

17. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Yeah there's something up with the stats since last year. Is this china and pubg? Are they all bored of it now? Moved onto fortnite or banned?

I'd say this isn't a massive gain, rather a return to normalised stats

4 core PCs down and 2 core back up, reflecting laptops or lower powered desktops again that wouldn't have been playing pubg in the first place

airbud7 likes this.
  18. Vlad27145

Vlad27145 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7970Ghz
    It does look a bit fishy, I guess, but I'm fairly certain that at least on the CPU side there has been a shift in momentum. Certainly in terms of competitiveness from the red team but also in terms of sales.

Last time I built a rig, on the CPU side it would've been nuts to go AMD, the best they had were the Phenoms and they were nowhere near what I wanted. Now though I'm in the market for a very, VERY overdue upgrade, as soon as prices normalize (hopefully really soon...). For the CPU I'm going with Ryzen 200%.

For the GPU... I still have a very small sliver of doubt. If I upgrade I want to go high end and there's nothing much from the reds in that sector... On the other hand I really wouldn't want to give money to nVidia after all the GPP debacle. Hopefully they at least put out a refreshed Vega. I'd settle even with 20% performance gains from the current line-up, at least that, at a decent-ish price, and can give them my money even if it isn't quite what I'd want to buy.

19. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    You guys gotta remember that this steam survey is pretty much BS.

They randomly survey people at completely and totally random times.

I have 4 computers, with 4 different steam accounts.

1 computer was surveyed this year.
    1 computer was surveyed 3 years ago
    1 computer was surveyed 4-5 years ago
    1 computer has never been surveyed.

There's no way to have accurate information on the steam hardware survey when they are not sending out a survey request to everyone at least once a year.

There's no way to know if who they surveyed were ryzen customers who increased the percentage, or they just happened to randomly survey a bunch of AMD systems, not just ryzen.

20. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

With a very large pool size, randomness shows no negative effect.