Fix game stutter on Win 10 1703-1809

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Exostenza, Apr 3, 2018.

1. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 4090gamingOC
    why she throw the panties tho? was she emptying her standbylist? mbk, please explain

BlindBison likes this.
  2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    No. She performs pure interrupt to notify of presence and to get attention.

BlindBison likes this.
  3. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 4090gamingOC
  4. yobooh

yobooh Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1
    Anyone has proves of problems for 1803 and Fullscreen optimizations?
    Personally never have such stutters with it, but i nomally play with Vsync enabled

5. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    I have some guesses: multi-screen setups became more affordable/popular and/or many people became "social media addicts" (or just multi-source thrill junkies). They either alt+tab to check their chat-windows and post-walls (single monitor setup) or have to bring those into focus to comment/reply (multi-monitor). Also, this new FSE-v2 is more multi-monitor friendly: hardware-accelerated video playback on the secondary display might freeze more often or maximized windows (like browsers) might get "jagged" (or vanish or crash, etc) a lot more often during the transition from WDM to old FSE (repeat it a lot and you will probably see soon enough).

But! There might be some other reasons for games: F'n lazy and/or untalented developers! Proper FSE mode needs skill and work hours to get done. I remember playing a Unity Engine based game (Dreamfall: Chapters) which at some maps dropped to ~10fps (completely without justice in terms of visual quality). When I switched to Windowed mode, the frame-rate jumped up by 2x-3x and became playable. And here is the really sad part: there was no borderless-window mode. Later on, I came across a custom tool for converting games into borderless-window mode (with no native option for it) for the same reasons: performance issues.
    So if I just can't find an option for FSE mode in a game, especially in low-budget games (I am currently playing Torment: Tides of Numenera which is based on Pillars of Eternity -> all KickStarter stuff...), I simply assume it's for the best.

And if I have to check on something from time to time while playing, I am happy if these can stay nice and neat on the small secondary display (without crashing or randomly moved to become unusable) while I am gaming on the main big TV.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  6. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    "Addresses an issue that may cause a file system mini-filter to fail to unload because of a leak in Filter Manager, which requires a restart."

In today's Windows 1709 update. Maybe this fixes it for people. Those that have the issue use any file filters?

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    those who have the issue can't even form a consensus on where it stems from, makes it near impossible to build a test case and provide it to msft/amd/nvidia.

8. Exostenza

Exostenza Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 GT
    Well let's just hope that 1803/1804 fixes it (if it ever comes out of beta). For now, though, this trick is still working for me for the most part. I have a few games that have stuttering but I think it is just loading stutter that is a symptom of bad game optimisation and not this issue.

9. Undesirable

Undesirable Guest

GPU:
    Liquid Devil 6900XT
    When I first switch on my computer and start playing BF1, it's fine for a number of maps. After leaving the game and playing something else and coming back again, it starts stuttering horribly as well as 5 sec pauses randomly (the long pauses are not very often). It is most noticeable when running around to new areas on the map. Other games develop this stutter too, such as Kingdom Come and Wolfenstein II - The New Colossus. I have tried 3 different computers with the same symptoms, and the only device that has remained the same throughout all of them is the GTX 1080. Originally I was on Intel 4770K, then I switched to Ryzen 1700, now I have Threadripper 1950X. So that's 3 different chipsets and all stutter. Only Threadripper has the long 5 second pauses though.

I'm using a GTX 1080, 32 Gigs of RAM @ 3200MHz and 16 - core threadripper @ 4GHz. CPU and GPU are watercooled. Unparking cores doesn't make a difference, neither does any other basic tweak. I haven't tried clearing the standby memory periodically yet though.

One thing I just remembered: when I first fired up Heaven benchmark on my original computer (4770K), I couldn't get a score to match my GPU's capabilities. I believe that was because of stutter which affected my average framerate throughout the benchmark. After I ran it several times, I was able to obtain a decent score, it seemed to be just down to random chance whether I got the stutter or not.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    it doesn't.

11. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    No shuttering issue.

12. Exostenza

Exostenza Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 GT
    Well, seeing as we can't even get MS to sort a stable version of it I guess expecting a fix for the stutter would be asking too much from them. At least this fix has made everything I play butter smooth unless the actual game has optimization issues.

13. jdc2389

jdc2389 Guest

GPU:
    980ti 1408/3650
    You're either blind or didn't read, it's clear what the issue is and mcsft already acknowledged it to the guy that started the reddit thread many months ago. Standby list(cached ram) goes to far and it hits 0MB for some buggy reason. RAM tries to cache again with 0MB available and causes a hard framedrop/stutter/drivercrash. Now I'm just waiting for reports on this issue for 1803.

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    that was fixed in 1803, and .... the stuttering is still there for many.
    so clearly its you thats not read and or either blind.

15. jdc2389

jdc2389 Guest

GPU:
    980ti 1408/3650
    "fixed in 1803" proof? I still haven't seen any. Also as to it not fixing the stuttering, you clearly haven't tried the empty standby fix because it eliminated all stuttering for me. I have 0 stuttering on 1607 ltsb as well because it never tries to cache with 0mb RAM. English is obviously not your first language, also there can be other reasons for stuttering or driver crashes. It's called instability, bad overclocks, corrupted windows installs, driver bugs.

16. hemla

hemla Master Guru

GPU:
    nvidia
    I am completely sure something has changed for "fullscreen optimizations" between 1709 and 1803. Before, on 1709 I could "alt+tab" out of certain application really fast with disabled optimizations while there was long delay when optimizations were on. Right now, with 1803 I do have long delays in both cases. And before 1709 "alt+tabbing" was nearly instant.

17. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    What kind of stuttering are we talking about here? I never get any stuttering that I can tell. Is this something that only starts after hrs of gaming, is it just a pause every x minutes or constant stuttering.
    I don't notice any issue alt-tab out of games I have which is limited to BF1 and BF4 right now. Maybe I don't see it cause I run V-sync off and capped fps for smooth gameplay. I also leave fullscreen optimation on in exes.

18. PQED

PQED Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming X
    Just chiming in to say that I've noticed this change in behavior as well.

19. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I just tried again and as far as Alt-tab it seems same with game Bar on or off. I do think off is better performance, it seems like it may be more resources used but its really hard to tell.

20. hemla

hemla Master Guru

GPU:
    nvidia
    "Fullscreen Optimization" mode is independent of "Game Mode", albeit with "fullscreen optmizations" enabled you can pop "game mode" bar while in game. It won't show up when optimizations are disabled.