Display Driver Uninstaller Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Wagnard, Jul 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yafatana

yafatana Guest

GPU:
    sapphire r9 390 nitro
    when I tried to download the tool I got I warning by smart screen that is file is unsafe and was blocked from downloading
    what's wrong ?

2. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    I dont know why, but suddently DDU la being hit by some antivirus with false positive or PUA.
    Trying to contact them .
    Personally I dont get the vigram.a

Did you get the new version from my web site or here?

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  3. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Maybe Windows Defender got some updates and they got this problem now?

I havent seen anything weird yet. (Windows 10 1709)

4. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    It seems that when you use VirusTotal it takes a long time to scan between virus detection apps.That wasn't the case a few months ago. It was fairly fast for such a small file. I have to wonder if they are using heuristics (which is naturally known to show false positives). But with Joti things seem to fair much better.
    What has your own scans shown?
    These 8/9 results (as some are duplicate) show a false positive according to the name given for the file directly from the antivirus company's websites:

https://www.kaspersky.com/blog/not-a-virus/18015/

https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp/home/articleview;jsessionid=iMIHcui6nooIhJ0QCcfRNTqT_suhgwXwNOA0aTmvRhl3sYUDCFDr!1763635477!-1602148717?articleId=TS100414&_afrLoop=834331777265479#!@@?_afrLoop=834331777265479&articleId=TS100414&centerWidth=100%25&leftWidth=0%25&rightWidth=0%25&showFooter=false&showHeader=false&_adf.ctrl-state=z3f9c6236_4

https://www.fortiguard.com/encyclopedia/virus/2962617

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wds...in32/DisplayDriverUninstaller&ThreatID=239038

https://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/us/threat-encyclopedia/malware/troj_gen.f47v0604

https://www.sophos.com/en-us/threat-center/threat-analyses/adware-and-puas/Generic PUA NL/detailed-analysis.aspx

With the exception of 2/3 out of 11 results (as I found no direct link to the company's website regarding explanation to the warning) from VirusTotal that claims something is wrong with DDU the other 8/9 results are indeed false positive.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018

5. Seren

Seren Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix RX570
  6. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    AlleyViper and RzrTrek like this.
  7. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Yeah all of these report are not virus. It's simply a warning that DDU may have unwanted behavior.

DDU is a program running as a system process to avoid having to change permissions. This alone is not really standard for an application and can be considered suspect.
    Not to mention that DDU remove drivers via SETUPAPI, remove registry entries, etc... All those things can be considered suspect by some AV.
    Virustotal have heuristic turn ON to report theses as windows defender won't report anything without heuristic enabled.

I always try to discuss with the Anti-virus maker to avoid getting theses annoying detections. Let's hope next version won't have as much false positive.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    Jackalito and LocoDiceGR like this.
  8. Seren

Seren Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix RX570
    I just tried after installing 1803, I was in safe mode with Windows Defender disabled and the DDU exe magicically disappeared, no warnings, no logs of anything removing it... Weirdly enough I was able to re-extract and run it in safe mode with what seems like no problems but now I'm not sure if it's the new Windows or stuff not fully gone but I can't install the modded drivers and the 16.2.1 beta won't open the settings no matter what I try... I really don't want to have to use MSI Afterburner to OC this 5750.

Yeah, I used to use AutoIT which was plagued with false positives if I accidentally did things the wrong way or used a certain UPX version but it looks like Microsoft created that page manually?
    Also I think many of the detections are due to the way you use PAexec.

9. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Paexec itself generate 2 alerts. Can't do anything about it sadly.

10. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    For information, current version is working correctly with Win 10 April update. But i'll make next version more official about it.

Krteq, AlleyViper, Jackalito and 2 others like this.

11. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Guys, I need someone (with a recent Radeon card) who is willing to test the new version and send me the logs.
    Normally it should be safe, I mostly want to see if there is any unexpected left overs in the logs before official release.
    Contact me in private.

EDIT: No more tester needed. Thanks

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  12. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V17.0.8.6 Released.

As always, see first post of this thread for download locations and other important information.

Jackalito likes this.
  13. nichenstein

nichenstein Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 295x2
    Guys I need your help !!!!
    The past 4-5 h I ve been uninstalling via DDU v17.0.8.6 The latest driver and trying to install it clean. I get pc Freeze every time. The problem is last time the driver was working I tried to activate VSR in AMD Settings. I m using and old Sony Bavaria TV that can only show 720p 60fps and 1080i. After activating VSR Screen went black but moues and keyboard was working so I used team viewer to change the resolution back to 720p. All was good until I wanted to play some Witcher 3 (Dota 2 worked fine In vsr ). After the intro videos tv screen went black and my pc froze.
    The problem is every time I install any amd driver(older or this one) my pc stops working and screen is black. I tried uninstalling via Safe mode. (it works in safe mode fine, with the carp resolution);(it also works with the basic driver clean removal)
    I tried windows reset and updating via windows updates but same problem.
    I tried installing manually in safe mode via device manager it works only in safe mode after restart Login screen is black.

Recap I star my pc I can see windows logo and loading but as soon as I hit the login screen its blank and unresponsive ( I usually get thi black screen every update but I type blind my password and change resolution via TeamViewer but its unresponsive now)

It must be the registry or something. Can anyone please help me?

14. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V17.0.8.7 Released.

As always, see first post of this thread for download locations and other important information.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  15. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    @Wagnard -Windows update is set back to it's default now, so it is mandatory when using DDU to disconnect the internet.

Why u change that? :eek:o_O

AlleyViper likes this.

16. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2070S|6700XT
    Just to be sure, the registry line it was setting before was?:
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DriverSearching]
    "SearchOrderConfig"=dword:00000000

(Same as setting Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Device Installation\Specify search order for device driver source locations\Enabled|Do not search Windows Update on policy editor)

Just to know for anyone that wishes to enforce the older behavior.

LocoDiceGR likes this.
  17. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Yep Exactly.

AlleyViper likes this.
  18. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2070S|6700XT
    Thanks for confirming!

19. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Because the previous solution was not perfect, didn't work for everyone, user would forget to set the option back to default with button on the right. Disconnecting the internet is the way to do it right.

It's not really hard to just disable the network card and reactivate it after installing the gpu driver.
    I know the previous way was more appreciated but it wasn't the right thing to do. I did receive messages to remove it for various reason.
    I hope you understand.

20. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2070S|6700XT
    The previous solution was perfect on a W10 >Pro set to notify before download/install updates (this policy still requires the other search order .reg/policy to avoid display driver auto-download out of the regular update check schedule on startup if a display driver is missing), or on a W10 Home with current network set to Metered (to control automatic update downloads). If it's set so, it'd avoid any driver display installation right at desktop initialization.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.