Windows 10 April Update has been released

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 1, 2018.

1. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    I'd say the same to you. Don't talk until you try it. Also I upgraded from 1607 so I am not used to any stuttering. Anyways you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about so I see no need to continue further. Your loss.

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    If you're going to make bold claims like this, you need to add benchmarks to back it up, as the majority of us have seen next to no improvements performance-wise since 1607

cryohellinc likes this.
  3. asder

asder Active Member

GPU:
    KFA2 1080TI
    yeah .. it broke matlab

4. BlueRay

BlueRay Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    The stuttering issues many have experienced in the past were due to memory management bug Windows has since Creators Update. This is supposed to be fixed in April Update.
    Also April Update brings way lower latency for audio.
    Audio settings and audio default device per app.
    A way to stop notifications while playing games (Focus Assist).
    More and clearer privacy settings.
    An overall smoother and better experience.
    Faster updates.
    These are enough for me to update and love the update.

5. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    [​IMG]

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Gui and whole minimize /maximize, no alt+tab straight to fullscreen.. such minor quirks.

But i saw this only after I updated from wddm 2.3 to wddm 2.4 driver.

As for older vs new, rs3 was snappy by certain benchmarks, while now it didn't do much, e.g. 3dmark api test, this one is the only thing that runs worse.

I already did a huge benchmark comparison by single threaded boost, X3TC. This is now like in the good ol win8.1 days. The wrost was RS1 and RS2.

Other stuff is mostly 397.31 vs 397.40 comparison, check 397.40 thread and my big benchmark comparison.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    airbud7 and Extraordinary like this.
  7. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Actually no I don't. It's easy enough for anyone to see for themselves. In order to prove it to you, I'd have to reinstall 1607 and drivers...etc. Probably would take me about an hour or so. Not going to go through that trouble just to prove to some people on a forum. You're welcome to think what you want and if you don't want to try it, it's your loss. Not my business.

8. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    I'm going to perform clean install of that build. Before that i will run few benchmarks on currently installed one and repeat them on new build to see if performance improvement in games is real. On 18.4.1 driver, will post results here or in driver thread.

airbud7 likes this.
  9. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    For me launching FarCry 5 was a real surprise on this build. Launch time is significantly faster compared to build 1709.
    Like you I don't want to install 1607. Instead I'm quite happy about 1803. Runs really well. I especially like the new storage facility, where you can free up space,
    by removing temporary files. It even shows the old windows installation now + a lot of other stuff (25.8 GB removed).
    Maybe it's just placebo. But having spent a lot of time tweaking my new 2700X on build 1709, this build does feel faster overall.
    Especially launching of games / programs.

tensai28 likes this.
  10. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Updated. No problems. Everything works. As always.

11. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    if they got some improvement in video interface, file system handling, memory allocation and managment, they would have written with bold letter everywhere.

If they got any improvement is maybe in thread management with background things, but also there, i think they would have said big.

I think the update gives you a quick clean to your installation and registry and everything goes better, and then goes back to the usual after 3 months of daily usage. As always have been.

What i do not understand if those bug they fix (not security related but perf related) get fixed on older version too or not. In that case i would keep the older versions.

airbud7 likes this.
  12. BoxChevy

BoxChevy Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix OC 3090
    I am no fanboy but moving around windows definitely feels snappier. Havent gamed yet but stuttering for me improved alot with emptystandbylist

13. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Without benchmarks your post just looks like every other Pro-MS post, your choice ;)

Order_66 likes this.
  14. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    I already did a clean install last night, but I'm glad the wait is finally over.

15. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Ok, couldn't care any less. Either try it or don't. Let's try act like adults here and stop all this "fanboy" silliness. I'm only reporting what I saw, nothing more. Let's move on.

Last edited: May 1, 2018

16. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    First thing I noticed after updating is that the File Explorer button is jammed. You can’t open it by left-clicking it, you have to right click it then left click it on the drop-down list. Bug no.1

Robbo9999 likes this.
  17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Not true - past releases have featured tons of under the hood changes that aren't listed in the patch notes. For example this build changes a bunch of stuff related to WASAPI and the only mention of any of it is individual app volume sliders. The anniversary update added a frame server for webcam usage which broke a bunch of USB cameras and Peter Bright over at ArsTechnica wrote an entire article about why it's bad that Microsoft is changing stuff without mentioning it in the notes at all:

https://arstechnica.com/information...ws-10-anniversary-update-breaks-most-webcams/

WDDM also got changes/updates for this build among other builds and isn't/wasn't mentioned. The memory compression back in anniversary update only got brought up months after the update shipped, people were confused whether it was part of the anniversary update or the insiders for the next build. There are tons of changes to the kernel to support various API's being added for UWP apps that aren't mentioned. I've also read that NTFS has been getting some updates along with ReFS but neither are ever mentioned in the build notes.

yasamoka likes this.
  18. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    Force upgraded about an hour ago. No obvious issues, I've gone from 1703 through 1709 to this. I've noticed some cosmetic changes, nothing to shout about though.

chispy likes this.
  19. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I had the exact same thing, but after about 3 mins it just seemed to have fixed itself!

20. BoxChevy

BoxChevy Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix OC 3090
    My frametime spikes in AC origins are all but gone. Which was my worst performing game im playing right now. So far this is a very good release for me. I do think there is alot of fixes not mentioned by ms.

tensai28 likes this.