AMD Document Is Listing More Ryzen, but also Threadripper 29x0 Zen+ Processors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    TR 2950x ....

.... I'm having an orgasm.

3. BigMaMaInHouse

BigMaMaInHouse Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1080Ti AMP Ex
    Just think about the EPYC refresh, they can achieve much higher turbo clock now in same TDP.... RIP INTEL overpriced XEONS!

4. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Shouldn't they have died on the first gen?
    There's always going to be those stubborn people that buy Xeons either because of support, bribing, or purely because major OEM's are pushed by Intel not to use AMD.
    From a business perspective, I think AMD machines are much more appealing now over Intel, but there's much more to add on the equations.

5. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    Discussion earlier this year with the service provider of the company I work for:

Me: So, our server is 4 years old, it's probably time to upgrade it. Can we get once of those awesome EPYC CPU's from AMD ?
    SP: No, sorry.
    Me: Why ?
    SP: We only use DELL machines.
    Me: So ? Isn't DELL selling any server with AMD EPYC ?
    SP: No, DELL only sells machines with Intel Xeons
    Me: *Sadpanda*

That's why AMD can't catch a break, it's being sabotaged everywhere.

6. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
  7. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Anyone building or getting a PC now I simply can not recommend Intel at all. With the 2xxx series now the IPC gap is so small it doesn't even mean anything. Then you factor in price, future socket support, temperatures with rubbish TIM, a rubbish iGPU that literally no one uses as a gamer. AMD just have all the avenues covered, you can get a cheaper AMD Ryzen APU that are actually capable of gaming too, then later on upgrade to a much more powerful chip and not have to worry about socket and motherboards. Kinda solves the problem of the current GPU prices, just get an APU to tide you over til GPU prices come down. Then get a GPU and use the APU til you can afford a better CPU.

Intel seriously dropped the ball. Ive had Intel since 2006 (conroe core 2). So I am not an AMD fanboy at all. I haven't owned an AMD GPU since the HD7970 either.

It's a no brainer to go AMD for CPU at the moment, sure Intel won't just sit back and let this happen so I expect them to come out fighting. Which just means great news for all of us.

HitokiriX and Arbie like this.
  8. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    So the new threadripper is going to be 16 cores and 32 threads? Just making sure I'm not missing something here.

this could be the proper setup I've been waiting for.....

9. glutto

glutto Master Guru

GPU:
    6650 XT 8GB
    Any sign of new g-type processors?

10. jortego128

jortego128 Guest

GPU:
    AMD RX 580 4GB
    EPYC refresh is going to be more than that-- its not going to be on 12nm Zen+, its going to be 7nm Zen 2!! Its going to have faster clocks, better IPC, better power consumption, better everything than even Zen+. Unless Intel do something drastic, its going to kick some Xeon ass...

11. Arbie

Arbie Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    And consider the larger picture: Intel showed what they'll do without competition. The future would have been terrible compared to what we can now hope for. That's all due to the courage of AMD, who somehow came back after so many disastrous years. They could easily have dropped out!

Think about it folks - that was a close call.

Simply to protect ourselves we need to support AMD when we can. It's easy now that they have almost every base covered. Even those fixated on single-thread, benchmark FPS performance should consider: If you buy Intel you are rewarding the company that screwed us all and would have kept doing so and will return to that if AMD gives up. It's that simple.

I'm not a blind fanboy. If the roles were reversed I'd be supporting Intel, a company whose tech capabilities I admire. But Ryzen showed what Intel should have been doing and gives us, finally, a generally superior alternative. An amazing development. Buy AMD.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    wavetrex and HitokiriX like this.
  12. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    That's what they were the first gen as well.

13. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    You can't but plenty of us can (recommend it). And no it's not really a no brainer. Well it is, but in intel's favour, if you're a gamer at least. Ryzen simply have such limitations on core speed and gaming performance and issues with memory (even Zen + has seen these issues, every single reviewer out there has been proving this) - where as intel you simply put your system together, overclock it and bam, it works.

I'm no intel fanboy, however AMD still have some catching up to do. There are even content creators who PREFER to use AMD who have had to switch back to Intel due to issues (go on youtube and check Hardware Canucks).

So, YOU may not recommend Intel, but the rest of us do. And no, they (Intel) haven't dropped the ball, or any other spherical object, but granted AMD is starting to catch up. They need to iron out all the issues Zen+ is still facing and then they might actually be the way to go for gamers and content creators alike

14. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Good luck "gaming" and being a "serious gamer" at 720p, brah.

Congratulations! You just won best joke of 2018!.

15. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    This is where they're putting all the 2800X we're not getting 'yet'...

16. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    You are funny. When I built this Skylake PC, I couldn't get my system to post succesfully with a full ram set, I only got to bios by using half of it. After a bios update I could use the full set, but mem test produced an error after an error with the full set, though half of it worked either way. I needed to take the RAM set back to the store and get another model. Intel isn't magically free of problems. In fact it even has errors barely manageable, like the Meltdown and Spectre, when fixed giving you less performance than you paid for. But I guess that's one kind of a bam as well.

17. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    Well the discussion happened a bit before this announcement.
    Even so, it takes time for the provider to get some of these machines, check them, making sure they work okay for their needs etc. etc.

Haven't done the upgrade yet, I'll ask again in a month or two, maybe they can offer a poweredge, who knows ?
    Or we might drop them and just go the colocation way and manage our own server(s). Then it's EPYC all the way forward !

2018 - Year of switching ! Home and Business.

18. anub1s18

anub1s18 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX2070S /WC
    wile i'd love to go AMD just because of the TIM situation, i can for the moment only look at intel as my main use is gaming (both old and new) in the case of old multicore means nothing and GHZ means everything which means intel.

have a i5 4670k @ 4.2 ghz in an old game only using 1 or 2 threads why on earth would i "upgrade" to a 4.1/4.3Ghz ryzen, i'm not convinced the 5%-10% ipc improvement is gone cause worlds of difference where a 800 Mhz bump from a modern intel cpu seems like a bigger gain.

and before the usual WHAT GAME WOULD POSSIBLY, supreme commander forged alliance, using max 2 threads to calculate up to 8000 units movement path's and combat etc so that is a game where a 5GHZ cpu would likely dropkick a 4GHZ one simply because it's limited to 2 threads.

the first crysis is another one, wile gpu's can run it tweaked to it's limit, cpu's haven't climbed that hard so my "once modern" 4670k @ 4.2 barely ran better then my 3.8 i7 920 because crysis only uses 1 core so once that's tapped out your crap outa luck again.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Freaking hell. 2800U, it is likely mobile APU. I wonder if it has better clock or more nCUs.

20. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    Yea dude, get that 5Ghz CPU so you run the game at -4 because of the other dude on the map that plays on a 2.3 Ghz overheated laptop.

Completely pointless to have the fast CPU on FAF unless EVERYONE has the same fast CPU on the map, which never happens.

Stick to your old CPU and save your money. This topic isn't for you.