Windows to get new Ultimate Performance mode

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by warlord, Feb 15, 2018.

1. CoMmAnDrX2

CoMmAnDrX2 Guest

GPU:
    MSIGTX680 Lightning
    {Sets performance mode to 11}

[​IMG]

2. Mr. Nobody Cares

Mr. Nobody Cares Member

GPU:
    XFX R9 380X
    It would be nice if this option disabled all the bullshit bloatware they install that takes up resources.

3. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Everyone keeps complaining about Windows 10 using a ton of resources...Now for gamers and for high end demands that require a lot from their hardware, you're going to have 16gb of ram or more at least and a decent multi core cpu an gpu. At 16gb, Windows 10 only uses about 2gb with everything stock. I never usually even hit pagefile honestly. I've tried disabling useless services like printer spooler for example, even Skype and Cortana. Did not have any impact really. But then there are apps like Chrome that can use 2gb of ram just in a few tabs open.

More or less this seems like a move to appease people, for years really most people have not needed to disable services if they have a high end rig, even mid tier rig. There are tests also all over that show there is no real difference in performance from 8 to 32gb of ram even unless you want to do some massive multitasking, even then your pagefile has you covered with 8gb of ram.

airbud7, ToxicTaZ and HK-1 like this.
  4. Aitortxo

Aitortxo Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080ti TRIO
    With all this crap from Windows lately, I feel it really hard to downgrade from W7 to W10 XD

airbud7 likes this.

5. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    but you are missing all that dx12 goodness without w10

ToxicTaZ and airbud7 like this.
  6. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Like what?

The "impressive" performance boost compared to DX11 or the "automatic" mGPU support?

Still looking for both...o_O

LOL

airbud7 likes this.
  7. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    lol yeah that and many more graphic features that make pc gaming stand out over the consoles
    oh and don't forget the ease of use and thx to god the devs are putting all that goodness into the games, it is so easy for them now to do you know.
    so don't fret the tick tock releases ms knows what is best for there users.

fantaskarsef, airbud7 and lucidus like this.
  8. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    why you always complain about people complaining?....

Edit: Please don't replay with a complaint about me complaining that your always complaining...:D

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    kruno and HK-1 like this.
  9. HK-1

HK-1 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580 Power Color
    yep I agree and Welcome to guru3d :)

ToxicTaZ likes this.
  10. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Ok, I got my test VM (home 1803) updated to 17134.5 and I looked at this new "Ultimate" power plan.

I did the trick on a win home 1803 version and while it does show the plan alright.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials...mate-performance-power-plan-windows-10-a.html
    Looking at the actual power plan in the reg key e9a42b02-d5df-448d-aa00-03f14749eb61 shows very little, there only a few keys and are same as HP plan.
    I also went through all the power setting keys along with mbk1969 excellent tool which helps a lot to compare key values.
    The way I see it just HP overlay added I am not seeing anything new over HP plan unless I am missing something or like I say this might not work on lower versions fully.
    So IMO either this trick doesn't fully work in lower versions and you need the Pro workstation version.

Another possibility might be it's just unfinished and what is there is just placeholder.

-Tj- likes this.

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    What about Bitsum highest power plan,. Is this "frequency scaling DC off" the only difference?

When I upgraded to 17133.xx to 17134.x its still there, but I never checked the differences, ps about freq. DC off, I had that at Ultimate plan for a while, but then I saw it did some strange things when cpu was at max stress.

It looked like it was using too much power and it throttled it back by fast bursts,
    https://s6.**********/umetxm0jl/image.png
    this in orange, but I doubt it.. or maybe not? These parameters are for longer Turbo multi boosts and it was always like so.

At least that's what I saw by cpu-z benchmark, instead of straight jump to 2630, it jumped to 2630 and then dropped to 2550 and scored lower in the end, same by single threaded jump to 525 then drop to ~480-500.. If I removed this freq. DC from Ultimate plan, it behaved normally again and no such anomalies.

Normal Bitsum highest perf. plan didn't have that slowdown issue, and it has DC off by default.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  12. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I will have to check that, if any park core setting arechanged.
    I do run Bitsum HP plan and Iguess I will have to check that the HP is set to default as I do have parkcontorl loaded.
    I normally make sure I leave windows HP and balanced alone so I can test, compare stuff.
    When I did check the CPU stuff it was the same.

I'll recheck, you know user/added power plans are just an overlay from one of the standard power plans and then add any altered plans, there under the user >default>power Schemes
    Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\User\PowerSchemes\a47ef5cb-bd24-4a1e-9d42-1825bf39bb51

In there are two keys only and they are
    1) Harddisk power down timeout
    2) Power Scheme Personality
    The Ultimate plan turns off harddisk sleep compared to 20min for Power saver, HP and balanced.

I have to check on other parking core but that is all I see in this plan added to HP overlay (windows HP plan).

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  13. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Windows 10, after a clean-wipe install after upgrading, worked better on my wifes old laptop that use to be vista, upgraded to 7, then to 10, and my sister-in-law computer that was 7 upgraded to 10, and my mother-in-law who upgraded from 8.1 to 10.

Granted, 8.1 to 10 may not have been as noticeable, since it had decent hardware in it anyways, that one was more about how much more she liked it then 10

But the two older computers? Both of them said everything was snappier then it had ever been.

From a technicality point of view, did they use more ram then before? Yes, but that didn't decrease performance (one laptop only had 2GB of ram, and the computer was usually using 1.4GB just from sitting there).

14. carnivore

carnivore Member

GPU:
    AMD HD7970
    That's probably because of fresh windows installation.

15. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I'm not too worried about basic resources but would this help keep all my hard drives awake? It really aggravates me that they seem to go into a standby mode fairly quickly. You click on something and nothing happens for a good 7-10 seconds.

It doesn't seem to matter what power setting I have windows set to.

16. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    There are Power plan settings (mostly hidden) for hard disks controlling that. But as I take it Intel RST drivers (should you install them) have their own HIPM/DIPM settings.

17. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Yes, Unless you check registry you will never know how many hidden options there are.(there like 120+ ones).
    On HD there many, even for NVMe, the harder part is figuring out what each does as some are also linked to HW.

mbk1969: Are you on 1803 yet?

18. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I had just done a fresh install on all of the computers a few months prior to the windows 10 upgrade, and that's what they were comparing it to.

19. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Not yet. First, I have to do a full backup. Second, I will wait a bit to avoid potential bugs.

20. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    It still has 20min, change that to something like 120min and you're set.