What device are you upgrading to in 2018 ?

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by sykozis, Jan 20, 2018.

1. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    p20 pro looks almoust good what you think guys?

Keitosha likes this.
  2. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    I'm on the Galaxy S7 and I'm due an upgrade in June. I will be skipping the S9 and either look at the Pixel 3 later in the year or sit out until the Galaxy SX/S10... Whatever they call it.

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I am in dire need of a new smartphone. My Lumia 725 barely manages everyday tasks.
    So a good, medium class smartphone with a decent camera, around $ 200? Maybe a bit more, if it's worth.

4. C-Power

C-Power Member Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 White
    Personally literally just moved from a Samsung A5 2016 to a Huawei P20 lite - I love the Huawei, it's a decent chunck faster then the Samsung, and I love the screen (although it does lack that true black that OLED has).

Was initially looking at the A8 2018 - which is quite a bit faster then the P20, but honestly for all the things I do with my phone (mini PC's these days) the P20 is MORE then enough and it's super snappy all around, I don't play games on my phone so don't need more GPU power.

Happy with my choice, wonder what I'll choose in 2 years time :D

Just wanted to pick something different then Samsung or Apple this time around lol

5. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I went from a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 in 2016 to an Essential Phone last month. The Essential Phone is actually pretty great, it's quite the underrated phone. Now, given, it is pretty weak in the camera department. However, since it's better than the cameras in my previous phones, I can live with that. Getting it for C$500 is quite the steal for high end specs.

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I just got Nokia8 today :), but I will swap for S9
    https://s6.**********/c73jrdo8h/image.jpg

https://s6.**********/jn2td6481/image.jpg

Mobile carrier has a promotion 400e for a phone and this will substract from S9 price, 15e + what ever the phone, normally its 28e (2yr contract), so minus that 400e, its maybe extra 13e :)

When I looked at this video it was the first that died and I want more stamina., the rest by S9 is better too, even camera.. Saw gsmarena review and nokia8's camera is just average, that Carl zeiss isn't helping it.

and normal S9 in-between without nokia

Although that LGV30 looks good too, maybe a bit wide? but the store doesn't have any special promotion for it, I think.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  7. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    I already bought a Nokia 6.1 (2018) with Android 8.1 Oreo.

Keitosha likes this.
  8. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I just bought the Huawei Mate 10 Pro dual sim, 6Gb ram 128gb, WOW, Super fast.

Amazing OLED screen and camera. No $hitty notch, almost 82% screen to body ratio, sexy beast.

moab600, Keitosha and -Tj- like this.
  9. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Huawei the BEST for battery life, really amazing. Quite a lot better than the rest:

Keitosha likes this.
  10. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    My bro offered me new Xperia XZ1 for 295$. :D

11. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    Got the Nokia 7+ a few weeks ago. Updated to 8.1 directly. Came from an S7e. The N7+ has an amazing battery life. Also supports QC3.0.

RzrTrek likes this.
  12. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    True, i have the Mate 9 and nothing can beat it in terms of battery life outside of it's bigger brother, Mate 10 Pro.

I think Huawei has the best phones, P20 Pro Mate 10 Pro, Mate 9, honor... i wanna try Pixel phone but not at current prices and features, it might have the best camera but the rest is pretty average(outside of performance and updates), might grab the Mate 20 Pro :)

kanej2007 and Keitosha like this.
  13. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Agreed. The flagship Huawei range is just as good as any other brand. It is on par with other high end flagships only costing slightly less. Great for value.

And yes, I was interested, really interested in the Pixel 2 XL as it ticks most of the boxes. Perfect size screen, Fantastic quality display, stereo speakers, Snapdragon 835, build quality and superb camera.

Two things however made me change my mind. Price. Absurd, for 30% or so cheaper you can get something very similar. It is quite expensive. Second is the battery. For a massive 6'' panel they only managed to squeeze in a 3500 mAh battery? I've read too many complaints of users bragging about poor battery life. Having a decent battery is one of the most important aspects of a phone and the Pixel series is no where near as good as other devices. It's average. Shame.

Otherwise it's almost perfect. Should the battery have been slightly bigger and priced slightly less, I may of purchased one.

That said, I'm sure the next Pixel release will improve it's battery and offer something bigger. Price. I'm sure it'll still be expensive!

14. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Guys, i am lost. I was almost set on the Nokia 6 2018, but heard that camera is mediocre at best. Just a big NO - i want a good camera. Now, i moved to Motorola G6 2018, but the same thing about the camera.
    I want USB type C, good camera, decent battery and a smartphone with updates for as long as possible, within the 250€-300€ bracket.
    Suggestions?

15. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    Nokia 7+

Keitosha likes this.

16. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Nokia 7+ camera is very good but not excellent. For a mid ranger it is decent. To my surprise even the Nokia 8 Sirocco was not much different. For a flagship I was surprised yet disappointed. Camera is good but compared to other flagships was not in the same league.

Huawei Mate 10 series, Samsung S8, S9, LG v30, etc all had better cameras...

Keitosha likes this.
  17. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    Both the N7+ and N8 Sirocco share the same camera HW/SW, so hench the small difference. But I agree, the camera is decent, not excellent. My old S7e makes better pictures/video's. Also to note that both the S7(e) and S8(+) also share the same camera HW/SW.

I've never seen S9's camera quality so I can't judge on that.

18. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    That nokia looks a bit like my oldies galaxy alpha, minus "infinity edge", which is a good thing.
    https://s7.**********/lrkowfv6f/samsung-galaxy-alfa-0.jpg
    if it had silver frame and dark grey cover it would be ideal,. :)

Nokia8 needs refresh like that too, 5.8 " display - low bezels, max up to 148mm. Not sirocco, or is sirocco nokia8 (2018)?

Keitosha likes this.
  19. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Went ahead an bit the bullet, got the S8 on AT&T. A year late, but a great device still. Got an unbranded odin recovery build on XDA for Oreo, so no AT&T bloat!

20. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I am still undecided what to get. In the end - the social price we pay, to be always online, interconnected takes a toll on me.
    Sometimes I wonder: I managed to survive without social apps until they embbeded theyself in the fabric of our lives, why I wouldn't survive from now on?

Keitosha likes this.