Far Cry 5 Thread:

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by ramthegamer, May 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Force fxaa through nvidia control panel :)

Increasing the resolution is very demanding on though, and most people will not have enough power for it.

But sure, if you have the power for it, set the render res to 1.5 and enjoy a completely clean image together with smaa.

2. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    @Dragam1337 SMAA is not perfect, it pretty much clears the oblique/diagonal lines, but misses entirelly the alphas (I guess)
    When TAA is well implemented or in high resolution it's just pure perfection.
    But I don't know why, Ubisoft always failed to implemented it.
    It was bounds and leaps better their 2TxSMAA from the first Watch Dogs which mixed TAA + SMAA than their latest implementations of TAA on Wildlands and Far cry 5.
    AC Origins makes use of TAA too, altough it feels better implemented.
    TAA usually don't like grass too much, so they might had forced it a little bit too much. :/
    Unreal 4, Cryengine and Unity usually have a nice TAA implementation, and DOOM, one of the best TAA (TSSAA)
    I don't get how can ubisoft miss this..

ramthegamer likes this.
  3. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    Its really hurting this game this aliasing issue, the draw distance as i said is even worse, u see flat surfaces of planes of fields in front of you looks like a battlefield 2 open map....these two issues are hurting the game...

4. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    I agree many games have no issues with aliasing as of late,, only this game. TAA DOES REMOVE THE JAGGIES BUT INTRODUCES BLUR WHICH IS INTOLERABLE.smaa alone doesn t do anythinf, i see shimmering all over the place with only smaa on, im gonna try forcing fxaa and smaa and bump up reso scale, but i don t know how much my 970 will be able to do, im sitting at 75-80 fps on high at 1080p, maybe little bit of room to keep it 60

5. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    temporal works fine enough if the developer bothers to do their due dilligence and add a sharppening filter, usually best if adjustable. Loss of detail in movement is the main issue and cant be avoided, unlike the static image vasseline effect.

ramthegamer likes this.
  6. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Which is why i use 4x supersampling for alphas through nvidia control panel, along with smaa and 1.1 render res :)

Shataan likes this.
  7. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    Can i do that on gtx 970?

8. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I don't think so - your best bet is using smaa ingame + fxaa through nvidia control panel :)

9. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Don't really recommend doing that, generally mixing two pp aa techniques on top of each other leads into a nice vaseline IQ which most of the time happens even by using one. Better just use TAA and be done with it. TAA isn't great in FC5 but it's better than FXAA+SMAA.

10. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Smaa causes zero blur, so the only blur you get, is the amount you'd get from using fxaa in any case. Which is still a whole lot less than using taa.

11. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Sure about that? SMAA+FXAA vs TAA.

SMAA+FXAA

[​IMG]

TAA

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  12. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    Using 4x Supersampling is pretty much the same thing as using Render res to 2.0.

13. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    *sigh* i specifically said super sampling of ALPHA TEXTURES, also known as "anti aliasing transparency" in the nvidia control panel... the performance hit for that is 10-20%, depending on the game and area in the game.

14. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Too low res to be able to see any differences. But something worth mentioning is, that the blur gets much worse in motion with taa, where it doesn't with fxaa / smaa. So that still shot of taa is a best case scenario - it will be much more blurry in actual gameplay, when you are moving around.

15. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Sounds like it'd be incredibly useful for things like vegetation (grass shimmering and what not.) but doesn't this require MSAA support as well? (Switching it so that alpha transparency objects are affected as well with super-sampling as a algorithm instead of multi-sampling.) I'll have to look it up I suppose, if it's actually stand-alone that's quite a impressive feature being independent of other anti-aliasing techniques especially with MSAA being used very rarely in games these days. :)

EDIT: Interesting, it might very well be stand-alone, impressive.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/563pye/antialiasing_transparency_what_is_it_and_how_does/

EDIT: Or not, I'll need to do more reading.
    http://naturalviolence.webs.com/sgssaa.htm

EDIT: Ah but with the right compatibility flag, forcing it...that should work. Possibly.
    EDIT: Or not, DX8, 9 and OGL only it seems.
    (EDIT: Nope, that particular part was only for LOD bias.)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018

16. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Yeah in motion TAA is worse, indeed much worse. Still, I wouldn't recommend SMAA+FXAA on that 1080p-1440p-ish range, looks constantly washed out, even while stationary. On 4K+ it's a whole other story though. I wonder why Ubi's TAAs seem to be such a hit and miss,

17. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Different engines use different techniques. :) That seems to be mostly what it's down to, it's two different forms of temporal AA with varying demands but also differing in perceived quality or how to say.
    (Image stability and overall blurriness being two more noticeable differences.)

Assassin's Creed Origins uses MSAA for it's reconstruction feature if that's enabled (And for alpha transparency from how it looks.) and the shaders overall rely heavily on compute rather than vertex or pixel.
    Far Cry 5 appears almost a step back even if the engine has been updated but it's not on par with Anvil Next and the version in Origins is quite a step up from previous games from what I can tell, downside is higher requirements though particularly CPU.

18. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    As far as those two still images go, TAA offers a crisper image.
    You can tell by looking at the building on the left side, the chipped away paint. The finer details on the stop sign to the players right.

Even the dirt around the cylinder on the revolver is crisper in the TAA image.

In motion, it's definitely a matter of taste. For me, SMAA + FXAA is still a blurrier option in motion. TAA offers the better experience of the two options. Now, a sharpening slider would be a nice option, giving players the option to fine tune it to their own personal preferences.
    But, for me, disabling motion blur makes it decent. It's not the worst use of TAA. And, I'd take this use over DX:MD's option. TAA in DX:MD is a very mixed bag, by itself it is incredibly blurry. But, the in game sharpen option is simply too much, making the image look a bit grainy.

19. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    As far as i understand, transparency supersampling simply downsamples the alpha textures from a given amount, meaning it isn't dependant on multi sample points, like sgssaa is (sgssaa is the shizzle though, running skyrim in 4k, with 4x sgssaa... perfect image quality !)

I could be mistaken though :)

20. hexolizer

hexolizer Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 2gb Hawk
    SMAA in FC5 uses depthbuffer to find edges, so it mostly smoothes edges around separate objects but not inside them. Just use Rehsade version of SMAA (or FXAA) plus maybe some sharpening.