Review: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X processor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Again, with that mentality, you'll always be waiting "a few more months" for the next big thing to release.

I understand what you're saying that you'll have it for years and you want to make sure you don't regret it, but Intel and AMD do not release on the same schedule, so there will always be "something new coming out in the next few months" to wait for.

1. Zen+ releases...but...lets see what Intel releases in a few months, they gotta be feeling the pressure now

2. few months later, Intel releases, but...now Zen2 is coming out in a few months, lets see what happens when that releases.

3. few months later Zen2 releases...and it's great, meets all expectations, but Intel can't possibly let this slide, i want to see how they react

4. few months later intel releases, meets expectation, but...zen2+(or 3) is releasing in a few months, lets see how much more AMD can get out of Zen2

The cycle will go on forever.

HandR, Jagman, airbud7 and 2 others like this.
  2. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    Sorry to say but according to 99% of reviews/benchmarks out there, overclocking these Zen+ to more than 4ghz is not easy at all. I realise Hilbert is an expert so he was able to get a stable OC at 4.3 but most won't be able to achieve that. The fact is these CPUs are barely overclockable at all.

Nah, the 8600/8700k CPUs still smash any of the new Zen+ in gaming. As stated above, OCing is not easy on these so no free performance. For pure gaming, Intel is still king

Very small % hit actually so no

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    typhon6657 and tensai28 like this.
  3. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Well, true, but you just choose your best spot to stop the ongoing speculation cycle, you choose an intelligent point to make that decision - "now" is not always the best time.

4. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Guest

GPU:
    DECIDING
    I guessed there would be reason, but not knowing :D

Good question and thanks Hilbert -

5. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Yes but this time I think we'll all be expecting Intel to raise their game, unlike in the past

6. kd7

kd7 Guest

GPU:
    7970m
    Not sure if anyone asked this but are there any benchmarks with streaming/recording in parallel?

7. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    all in all oc seems a bit ..anemic they are already to their max give or take especially the 2600x .... i think the real value kings when they come out will be the non x cpus

8. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Yes, they don't oc like mainstream Intels, but they're 8c/16t chips that AMD released pretty close to what they can achieve. I think the next generation will be super exciting, I'm sure we'll see 4.5ghz across the board, no problem, which will be amazing. Still, even as they are, they're great performing CPUs for the money right now.

Maddness and Venix like this.
  9. BlueRay

BlueRay Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    The 8700K is still ahead of Ryzen+ because of the clocks. It clocks pretty high easily. 5Ghz is a breeze and its modest "conservative" OC mode MCE is 4.7 something that's still far from what Ryzen+ can do. Ryzen+ leads in multi-thread because it's an octa but Intel will release octas as well. Both Ryzen and CFL are very good products.
    It is exciting to have good CPUs from 2 different companies once again.

10. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    oh i am not complaining both are excellent bang for buck ! what i was trying to point out is that most likely the 2600 non x and 2700 non x ....their unlocked multiplier is more useful cause if the 1xxx generation of ryzens is any indication they will clock the same minus 100 mhz or so ...if even ,so you get the 2600 and 2700 and you will have the same performance with a little tweaking no ?

11. Dyseman

Dyseman Member

GPU:
    RX-6800XT 16GB
    Mine arrives Monday. Good timing as I was going to just get another 1600x but 2700x will do better for what I'm going to do (Not Gaming)

chispy and Jagman like this.
  12. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    ^ I'm not jealous.......Much :mad:

13. jortego128

jortego128 Guest

GPU:
    AMD RX 580 4GB
    Probably true, but you have to take into account this time that the X models are only about $30 more than the non-X models. In the first gen the difference was quite a bit more, plus you didnt even get coolers with 1st gen X models. In my mind, the X models are the better value this time, because of better binning, probably slightly less power use at a given clock, and better coolers. If the difference was say $50-$75 and X's had no cooler, I'd say "no way", but as it is, AMD made the X versions awful enticing this go round...

Venix, chispy, airbud7 and 1 other person like this.
  14. kd7

kd7 Guest

GPU:
    7970m
    Actually, I found a couple of reviews that look at streaming here

Those extra threads do make a difference if that's your thing.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2018
    -Tj- likes this.
  15. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    I agree, the non X models don't make a lot of sense currently.

jortego128 and chispy like this.

16. kd7

kd7 Guest

GPU:
    7970m
    Can I ask why the second video I posted in my previous comment was removed (edited by moderator)??? What was wrong with it?
    Not cool not giving a reason for removing it.

17. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    You have a PM.

jortego128 likes this.
  18. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Killian38 and chispy like this.
  19. kd7

kd7 Guest

GPU:
    7970m
    Thanks, got it. Didn't know about that issue. But now I do :)

20. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Some people think so:

You'd have to make sure you have the latest BIOS actually shipped with the motherboard, otherwise you wouldn't be able to boot it to apply the correct updated BIOS (chicken & egg)!